pirate
pirate HalfDork
2/2/20 5:48 p.m.

Has anyone here purchased a portable bandsaw and table such as the one made by SWAG shown in picture. I have a 14" wood bandsaw I use for aluminum and thin steel sheet metal but have been relying on angle grinder and cut off wheels or hacksaw for thicker steel. Steel bandsaws are quite expensive and take up quite a bit of room although I'd certainly like to own one. Anyone have a portable and table if so what brand names.

Rodan
Rodan Dork
2/2/20 7:12 p.m.

I have the HF Bauer bandsaw, and the SWAG table.  I LOVE this thing, and use it a lot.

I built a work bench last year and made a mount for the bandsaw table so it was easily removeable and sat flush with the workbench top.

I highly recommend the HF foot switch:

HF Momentary foot switch

I did use the SWAG table as sold a few times before modifying it and it works great on its own.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/2/20 8:37 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

I didn’t know that that switch existed, but thank you very much. 

Off to Harbor Freight...

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/2/20 9:41 p.m.

Fab shop I worked at needed a small bandsaw, bought the SWAG table, HF saw, and momentary switch shown here.

Was perfect for small projects.

Make sure you figure out some way to keep yourself from leaving the switch plugged in, though.  The shop did and the owner was walking through and accidentally stepped on the switch and damn near gave himself a heart attack when the saw started up.  We all got a talking to.

Papabear
Papabear Reader
2/3/20 8:08 a.m.

I have the SWAG stand with the legs and a Milwaukee portaband on it. Mounted it on top of a harbor freight tool stand. I have used it a ton. But as said above get the foot switch.   

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
2/3/20 8:53 a.m.

Been looking at used full size bandsaws and seeing this has just made my eyes go wiiide.

CAinCA
CAinCA GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/3/20 12:26 p.m.

I looked at these a year or two ago. Honestly it looks like a great solution if you already have the saw. I needed something with at least a 12" throat though.

Most of the parts I make are in aluminum, plastic or fiberglass. I had a 9" Craftsman wood bandsaw and sold it. I wound up replacing it with a used 14" Enco for $100.

I had a 14" abrasive chop saw that worked OK on steel but took forever to cut aluminum bar stock. I wound up replacing it with an Evolution Rage2 multipurpose chop saw. The stock blade cuts through steel, plastic and wood like butter. I bought the aluminum specific blade and it does a great job on bar stock. 

I don't need to cut curves in steel though.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
h2hdZKZ07oS0KsJf7WLogKoEQi6DBux0wxnc7QZmVMYhH7lT4AE0OBrjx2sbSluT