1 2
freedomweasel
freedomweasel New Reader
10/17/11 9:41 a.m.

I've finally gotten to the point where I have enough tools to require a box to organize them in. I'm not allowed to do any car work in our complex's parking lot, so the box will need to fit in the trunk of a Miata so I can drive to a friends/parent's driveway.

I think my options are the traditional open box: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00959212000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3 Or a "rally box" with drawers: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00965337000P?prdNo=6&blockNo=6&blockType=G6

If I go with the empty box I'd probably get some tool rolls for my wrenches to keep things together.

What do you guys and gals use to transport tools to the track/autox or wherever? Basically, learn me toolboxes.

Zomby woof
Zomby woof SuperDork
10/17/11 9:45 a.m.

I bought this set for $20

I used to use this

But the soft side bag is more convenient.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
10/17/11 9:47 a.m.

I actually use a backpack or a soft bag of some sort if i'm going to be wrenching on the run, whether that be at the track, or the junkyard.

Of those two, i like the rally box.

But seriously, look into soft bags, they make ones specifically for toll use. A bag + tool rolls = win. Easier to carry, easier to store.

EDIT: Zomby beat me to it.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
10/17/11 9:48 a.m.

I generally carry a roll of duct tape/gorilla tape, a can of PB, my torque wrench, and a REALLY old Kennedy steel single box, with the removable tray. Weighs about 38tons. One thing I have also found of use was this random Kobalt socket set I bought @ LowesDepot. It was dirt cheap, all the sockets are color coded standard and metric, and the little carry box makes nice company to the Kennedy. If I'm filling sassy, I'll throw my Porter cable power stuff in the Kennedy.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
10/17/11 9:57 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: I actually use a backpack or a soft bag of some sort if i'm going to be wrenching on the run, whether that be at the track, or the junkyard. Of those two, i like the rally box. But seriously, look into soft bags, they make ones specifically for toll use. A bag + tool rolls = win. Easier to carry, easier to store. EDIT: Zomby beat me to it.

Can I also suggest paying attention to the tools you actually use? If space is limited, or weight, whatever- if you can find the right limited set for your use, it's a little easier to deal with.

Also- IF you need extras- say on my Alfa, having multiple combination wrenches in 13mm is key. I've never found a 14mm, though. And I have one 16, no 18's, but a TON of 17 and 19mm needs.

Finally, try the local recyle place to see if there are any tools there. Worth a try, at least.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
10/17/11 9:57 a.m.

First double post I've accidentally had. interesting.

ThePhranc
ThePhranc Reader
10/17/11 10:00 a.m.

I have a bag set from Harbor Freight. It was on sale and I had the 20% off. There two bags I use the small one for my field bag at work and the big one held everything I needed to work on my car tool wise. Small form factor, light, sturdy for being a bag.

freedomweasel
freedomweasel New Reader
10/17/11 10:02 a.m.

I guess I won't be bringing too many tools with me on a regular basis, so maybe I'll get a rallybox to keep things organized at home, and the a little soft bag to toss in the things I know I'll need when I head out. That's not a bad idea at all. Buddy of mine has a craftsman bag and it's made of the thickest nylon fabric I've ever seen. Looks like it should last quite a while.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/17/11 10:07 a.m.

I'm in a similar situation, as I currently don't have a garage. I have a Stanley 150 piece mechanics kit that includes 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drivers, and then I have a small Craftsman toolbox that I use for my "frequently used" extra tools.

I bought the 150 piece tool set at Sam's Club for cheap, and the Craftsman toolbox is always on sale for $10:

http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_10155_12602_00959423000P?vName=Storage+%26+Garage&cName=Tool+Storage&sName=Hand+Boxes+%26+Portables&prdNo=3

I've been using this setup for about 10 years now and it's served me well. The 150 piece kit helps me keep track of those tools, and the toolbox gives me a place to throw the extra tools I know I'll need. It prevents a lot of unnecessary trips in/out of the house.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/17/11 10:12 a.m.

Soft-sided bags are the shiznit for this kind of thing. I have one that is open on the top with a rigid aluminum handle that I like because it is easy to get to everything.

When packing light, go versatile. I love my combination Gear Wrench sets and my open-end Gear Wrench sockets (not to sound like a commercial for them). And definitely know what you are going to need. For the MR2, a 10mm and 14mm and 19mm wrench and socket will allow you to pull the engine and dismantle the entire car.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
10/17/11 10:12 a.m.

Bags with rolls for various things, wrenches, screw drivers, etc... split up, metric and standard. Maybe split things into separate bags: one for wrenches and drivers, and another for socket sets, and so on. Bags seem to pack better than boxes.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/17/11 10:28 a.m.

I've got an awesome little portable box that was a present from my wife. The top opens up so you can get to every level at once like a tacklebox. It has collapsible legs so it's at a good height when you're working. There are wheels on one end and a slide-out handle so you can wheel it around.

Inside the box, I use tool rolls and socket racks to keep everything organized. A bucket with a snap-on lid (originally used for kitty litter) is used to hold paper towels and fluids, and doubles as a bucket if required.

I can fit just about everything I need for the Targa Newfoundland in this critter, and it's perfect to load up and take to the track. I keep a list of needed tools in the box so I can load up fast without forgetting anything.

The boxes weren't available in the US for a long time, but it looks as if they're back! Everybody needs one. Collapsible tool box at Eastwood

freedomweasel
freedomweasel New Reader
10/17/11 11:19 a.m.

Tons of responses! This forum gets a lot more traffic that I expected.

I'll look into some other options.

Keith, that box looks pretty slick but definitely out of my price range. I'll make a note of it though. I do like the bucket of towels and stuff.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
10/17/11 11:52 a.m.

5 Gallon bucket?

BBsGarage
BBsGarage HalfDork
10/17/11 12:01 p.m.

My "portable" tool boxes never stay all that portable. right now its a craftsman bag much like the huskey pictured above. this also reminds me, I have to clean it out and restock that which was removed.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
10/17/11 12:16 p.m.

If you have the bucks, a Hazet Assistent would be a good choice - quite a bit of storage space and when closed it will fit in the trunk of a car.

For inexpensive tool storage I like soft bags and tool rolls. Bucket Boss has quite a variety, you can find them on Amazon.com. Their signature product is the thing that fits in a drywall bucket with a jillion pockets for tools, but they sell all kinds of other products.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
10/17/11 1:22 p.m.

I just carry a cheap Stanley toolbox with me.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 HalfDork
10/17/11 4:07 p.m.

I used to take a 6 pack cooler filled with only the wrenches I needed+hammer+vicegrips, etc, to the pick n pull when I lived nearby. Learned the lesson the hard way after dragging my huge toolbox and using only 1/50th of the gear.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha Reader
10/17/11 5:03 p.m.

+1 on the soft bag. With a good strap, I can sling it over the shoulder and haul around 50 lbs of tools without breaking a sweat for hours. Hauling around 50 lbs of tools in a hard box I gotta carry by hand will destroy my arm in an hour.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/17/11 5:16 p.m.
EricM wrote: 5 Gallon bucket?

Won't fit in the trunk of the Miata.

Stick to the soft bag. It can stuff more easily into that trunk, and you won't be carrying the weight of the empty box.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/17/11 5:25 p.m.

The traditional open top one you showed is designed and optimized for carpentry tools.

The rally box is designed for mechanic's tools.

But neither will fit in the trunk of the Miata. And the rally box is HEAVY.

Soft bag FTW.

I find a bit of redundancy is a good thing. I have large boxes at the shop and truck, but specialized "kits".

So, I've got a trim carpentry box, and a mechanic's hand tool box, and a sheetrock tools bag, and a tile tools bucket, and a masonry tools bucket, and an electrical bag/ belt, etc. etc. Probably 20 different versions.

This means I have some tools (like tape measures) repeating in each of the "kits". Over time, these have been refined so each "kit" is quite complete.

When I am going to the track, I grab the mechanic's hand tool box. When I am doing rough framing, I grab the right bag.

I never waste time trying to "pack what I need", and I don't get where I am going and say, "Crap, I forgot xxx".

It takes a little more to put together, but the efficiency greatly pays for it rather quickly.

Josh
Josh Dork
10/17/11 5:46 p.m.

That Assistant thing is pretty cool. Now somebody go out there and make one at 3/4 scale out of plastic and charge about 1/20 as much for it and I'll take a couple!

LopRacer
LopRacer Reader
10/17/11 7:02 p.m.

Am I the only one who saw that sears is offering a Zombie day sale.....

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/dap_10153_12605_DAP_This+Weeks+Hot+Deals?adCell=zombiesale&adCell=W1

What is up with that?

I have a metric E36M3 load of tools so boxes everywhere, work, home, the service truck for work, but my personal travel tool box is a Rally style with the drawers, it is really heavy when loaded but makes for great organization of all the various types of tools. I have used the soft bags in the past to grab a few odds and ends I know I will need but don't have in my standard travel box. Tool rolls are nice if you plan to spread out and stay awhile, but I just prefer the multiple drawers in the rally box. One observation though when I made the transition from a regular tool box with tray to the rally box I lost some capacity as the drawers take up a good deal of space in the over all box.

freedomweasel
freedomweasel New Reader
10/18/11 9:50 a.m.

I do like the "multiple kits" plan, but I don't really have enough tools quite yet. After reading all the suggestions I think I'll go with a rallybox at home to keep things organized and together, a softbag with a list of tools in it for bringing some essentials to autox's and HPDEs, and keep my little tiny box I have now at home with my general around the house tools. I'll try and find a little 2gal bucket that fits in the Miata for extra fluids, I like that idea a lot. I'm always terrified I'll arrive, open my trunk and see a nice mix of windex, motor oil and soggy clothes.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Dork
10/18/11 10:08 a.m.

I use a 30 caliber and a 50 caliber ammo can. Cheap, small, water tight and strong. The bad part is having to dump them to get at something on the bottom of the can.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZVfiGSILVQ078KOnDSrX9uSQL1xBkCH0SwhalnOWxWa1ZaEsSGOLrL3qk6rvpkH8