1 2
racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
5/29/19 6:35 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
5/29/19 6:41 a.m.

Well that certainly would drop the bottom out of the lucratice calvin peeing on a Ford/Chevy sticker market. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
5/29/19 6:42 a.m.

Pure speculation is pure speculation. Nobody knows how either company will weather the next downturn. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/29/19 6:43 a.m.

Musical Chairs? 

I more fear that it is the classic 1:59 am hook-up.  The bars are about to close at 2:00 am so you hook up with someone rather than no one.  This drunken state is not the best time for choosing a partner.   

robmillion
robmillion New Reader
5/29/19 6:44 a.m.

Calvin is always gonna find something to pee on and it's probably gonna get political. I heard Trump's been through that type of thing before, but we won't know if Calvin was actually there until the tapes get released though.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
5/29/19 6:47 a.m.

hmmm. The article is written purely from a financial / stock market perspective. I think that their assessment of the condition of the companies is off because they don't fully understand the market.

While GM may have a future as a standalone car company over the next decade, Ford does not. Its market cap is down 42% over the past five years, while GM's is close to flat. 

To say Ford does not have a future as a standalone car company but GM does is just laughable.

Not to say that we won't see some major changes in both these companies as markets evolve, but a merger? I can't think that's the way they'd go.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
5/29/19 7:04 a.m.

Remember the scene at the end of Kingsmen? That would be made real.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
5/29/19 7:10 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

Well that certainly would drop the bottom out of the lucratice calvin peeing on a Ford/Chevy sticker market. 

Great line!

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
5/29/19 7:21 a.m.
robmillion said:

Calvin is always gonna find something to pee on and it's probably gonna get political. I heard Trump's been through that type of thing before, but we won't know if Calvin was actually there until the tapes get released though.

Don’t tell me you fell for the “dossier” too!

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/29/19 7:53 a.m.
ultraclyde said:

hmmm. The article is written purely from a financial / stock market perspective. I think that their assessment of the condition of the companies is off because they don't fully understand the market.

While GM may have a future as a standalone car company over the next decade, Ford does not. Its market cap is down 42% over the past five years, while GM's is close to flat. 

To say Ford does not have a future as a standalone car company but GM does is just laughable.

Not to say that we won't see some major changes in both these companies as markets evolve, but a merger? I can't think that's the way they'd go.

I think their view is over recent years their respective money making products have less overlap than they once did so a merger could work in a financial sense. However, I generally agree the brand identities are too powerful and it's hard to imagine how it could work in the real world.

Fueled by Caffeine said:

Well that certainly would drop the bottom out of the lucrative calvin peeing on a Ford/Chevy sticker market. 

Or create a new market of Calvin peeing on:

chaparral
chaparral Dork
5/29/19 7:54 a.m.

Ford won't be acquired, simply because the Ford family would never cede control.

A Ford-Honda merger would make more sense than Ford-GM.

chaparral
chaparral Dork
5/29/19 7:55 a.m.

If you want one likely to happen: I think Elon Musk is deliberately tanking Tesla stock so that Tesla-Panasonic can be acquired by Toyota-Panasonic.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
5/29/19 7:56 a.m.
ebonyandivory said:
robmillion said:

I'm just going to quote this to remind both of you that there are plenty of places on the internet to discuss politics and GRM isn't one of them. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/29/19 8:08 a.m.
Ian F said:
ultraclyde said:

I think their view is over recent years their respective money making products have less overlap than they once did so a merger could work in a financial sense. However, I generally agree the brand identities are too powerful and it's hard to imagine how it could work in the real world.

Fueled by Caffeine said:

Well that certainly would drop the bottom out of the lucrative calvin peeing on a Ford/Chevy sticker market. 

Or create a new market of Calvin peeing on:

As far as the market overlap is concerned, isn't it mostly full size trucks and suv that make money for both company's?  If so, I would say they have quite a bit of overlap.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
5/29/19 8:31 a.m.

Getting close to end times - We will all be working for either the blue corporation or the red corporation.  

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/29/19 8:53 a.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

Getting close to end times - We will all be working for either the blue corporation or the red corporation.  

Welcome to Costco...  I love you!

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/29/19 8:56 a.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Hence the mentioning of selling off  the GMC (and probably Chevy along with it) truck line.  Look at the products by all brands. Pick the ones that are most profitable. Kill or sell off the rest.  

You know... classic corporate raider mentality. 

I'm not saying that's what they should do, but that is the POV of the article, which is written more towards shareholder greed.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/29/19 9:00 a.m.

“Hey, these articles about FCA and Renault merging are getting a lot of clicks, but they’re foreign. I know what’ll get people clicking!”

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/29/19 9:11 a.m.
Ian F said:

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Hence the mentioning of selling off  the GMC (and probably Chevy along with it) truck line.  Look at the products by all brands. Pick the ones that are most profitable. Kill or sell off the rest.  

You know... classic corporate raider mentality. 

I'm not saying that's what they should do, but that is the POV of the article, which is written more towards shareholder greed.

Thinking of shareholder value first almost tanked this company 15 years ago.  Why is there any consideration of copying that??

Instead, copy Toyota- who makes a lot of money selling a lot of cars at a high price.  

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/29/19 9:28 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

Financial institutions are notoriously bad at learning from mistakes... 

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/29/19 9:51 a.m.

Clickbait throwing E36 M3 at the wall, IMO.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
5/29/19 10:07 a.m.

As a longtime Ford shareholder, I'd fight it tooth and nail.  Ford weathered the downturn in 2008 because they took steps that made sense and managed to stay solvent.  GM execs rode the gravy train into the ground and went crying to the government to bail their sorry asses out.  GM shareholders lost everything.

I'm no Ford fanboy, but don't pollute Ford integrity with GM sleaze.  

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/29/19 10:11 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler :

Failing car manufacturers throwing E36 M3 mergers at the wall. Same thing, same cycle for the past 25 years. 

I just await defunct brands to merge. The Geo/Scion merger is gonna be lit! 

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/29/19 10:12 a.m.

What happened to just a short time ago when Ford was everyone's darling? Things change so fast. For the record, I think that this is a TERRIBLE idea. 

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
5/29/19 10:31 a.m.

There's no way the DOJ would let that happen. Even in todays super merger laissez faire environment I can't see them allowing it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HKvf9osj97zkJUhFG2i65X6bFJmL7PtbXET6Vs0EwPJvkUnnrUFDhtRxvuVPVoD8