1 2
TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
4/23/17 8:09 p.m.

We had an awesome day today! We took the Beetle to the race track today. We are getting ready for a local race series. We had a wheel stand, a close call, and successful run.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/5DpN-Wi58gM

https://www.youtube.com/embed/djthLXLa-Cs

https://www.youtube.com/embed/EZtyYorirZ8

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
4/23/17 8:10 p.m.

Nice! Nice to see it again

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/23/17 8:16 p.m.

That's awesome.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/23/17 8:20 p.m.

6.3 at 105?

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
4/23/17 8:27 p.m.
Robbie wrote: 6.3 at 105?

6.43 at 105 in the 1/8th mile.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/23/17 8:33 p.m.

That translates to like a 9.85 1/4

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
4/23/17 8:34 p.m.

I had an accelerometer hooked up in the car, but it was having issues, so I could not get data from it. I am hoping to have it going for next weekend when we test again.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
4/23/17 8:35 p.m.
MrChaos wrote: That translates to like a 9.85 1/4

By our calculations, that is about a 10.10 in the 1/4. It is still in challenge trim too.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
4/23/17 9:09 p.m.

I need to see this car again and soon ;)

NoPermitNeeded
NoPermitNeeded Reader
4/23/17 9:12 p.m.

Whats powering this monster?

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
4/23/17 9:29 p.m.
NoPermitNeeded wrote: Whats powering this monster?

Nelson family voodoo.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS HalfDork
4/24/17 4:52 a.m.

Roughly what does the Beetle weigh?

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
4/24/17 5:06 a.m.
TIGMOTORSPORTS wrote: Roughly what does the Beetle weigh?

Just above 2400 pounds, as it goes down the track with my dad in it.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
4/24/17 5:29 a.m.
mndsm wrote:
NoPermitNeeded wrote: Whats powering this monster?
Nelson family voodoo.

A small block chevy with a set of 180 degree headers.

The headers are where it gets its sound. This is one of our other cars. Also a beetle. This is what a normal small block chevy sounds like with open headers.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/nyJChiCIeNo

Then when you really have them tuned right, they sound like this. This is the same exact engine but in our datsun with 180 degree headers.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/8uW8QPyohfk

admc58
admc58 Reader
4/24/17 6:08 a.m.

Love it!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
4/24/17 6:16 a.m.

Whenever people tell me that drag racing is boring I'm going to show them this. That doesn't look boring at all.

Don49
Don49 HalfDork
4/24/17 6:38 a.m.

Was that Mount Holly Springs?

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/24/17 7:05 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: I need to see this car again and soon ;)

I'll be out there Saturday

I'm knocking the dust off the Datsun shortly to get the new converter installed in search of 10's still at challenge $

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
4/24/17 10:56 a.m.
Don49 wrote: Was that Mount Holly Springs?

South Mountain Dragway. Boiling Springs, PA.

Don49
Don49 HalfDork
4/24/17 1:21 p.m.

You can tell I'm not a drag racer. I knew there was a track near there.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
4/24/17 1:29 p.m.

That track seems pretty narrow.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/24/17 10:18 p.m.

To the uneducated, what is the benefit afforded by the 180 degree headers? Certainly they sound sweet. Is there a performance advantage?

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
4/25/17 5:22 a.m.
dyintorace wrote: To the uneducated, what is the benefit afforded by the 180 degree headers? Certainly they sound sweet. Is there a performance advantage?

There is definitely a performance advantage. My dad would be able to give hard numbers, but if we use the above comparison, it will give you an idea.

The Datsun weighed arounder 2700 pounds. It had the 180 degree headers. It ran 10.57

The yellow bug with the exact same engine weighed around 2500 pounds. It ran 10.82.

By my math, that is around 50 horsepower. That is huge when you are budget, or cubic inch limitted.

Essentially you are creating a better flowing exhaust. In the same way that a set of long tube headers make more power than exhaust manifolds, 180 degree headers make more power than regular headers.

They just take a lot of work to make and fit in a car.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
4/25/17 5:41 a.m.
dyintorace wrote: To the uneducated, what is the benefit afforded by the 180 degree headers? Certainly they sound sweet. Is there a performance advantage?

I like to think of them as putting all the exhaust pulses into a single file rather than a merge situation. That is what makes the sound. The 180 degree headers pair up cylinders according to the firing order for best results.That is why they have to cross over from one side of the engine to the other in a V8 engine.

If timed just right by virtue of how the tubes come together, the length of the tubes and the nature of pulses traveling in a tube, the energy in one exhaust pulse can help "Pull" the exhaust out of another cylinder. Known as scavenging. This of course allows that cylinder to fill with a fresh fuel mix for a bigger Ka-boom.

But forget about all that, 180 degree headers make that noise, that is all that really matters.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/25/17 6:02 a.m.

I can't tell you the math, but I can explain the theory in layman's terms.

By getting the exhaust pulses in order, it creates a siphoning effect in the exhaust collector. This is like hooking a vacuum cleaner to the exhaust manifold. The spent charge in the cylinder is being pushed out mechanically by the pistons, but also pulled out by the siphoning airflow (called scavenging). When you do this on all 8 cylinders in firing order, you evacuate the cylinders faster, which allows fresh air to be pulled in faster.

While I love the sound, who cares about the sound if it ain't adding horsepower??

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zUxDDEcxTTdBAqbe1tUJpmQt4WekQjIDMHkcaRAMjOsjI1JAD1kiUzPWGPYPFnii