1 2 3 4 5
lnlogauge
lnlogauge HalfDork
8/15/19 8:14 p.m.

In reply to Andy Neuman :

How does a 2015 have that much rust under the hood?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/15/19 9:10 p.m.
Ian F said:

In reply to Appleseed :

I meant overall width. Always looking for potential Spitfire seat alternatives... wink

15" at the thighs.

13" at the hips.

14.5 at the shoulders.

This in a nominal approximation. The bolsters are curved because we aren't built like LEGO. I split the difference between the max and min width. Hope this helps.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/19 9:21 p.m.
lnlogauge said:

Where do you see rust?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/16/19 6:02 a.m.
Knurled. said:
lnlogauge said:

Where do you see rust?

Exhaust heat shield, bolts on the pulley's, lots of corrosion on block and accessories. 

Andy, I'm guessing the reason is that front clip has been off the car for awhile.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/16/19 6:44 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

That’s pretty typical of a 4 year old northern car, especially one sitting on limestone copart yards while it’s fate is decided by the insurance company 

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/16/19 6:58 a.m.

Also didn't we determine in another thread that its really hard/expensive to replace the front bodywork? Since that is what most people tend to smash. Grill/bumper/hood

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
8/16/19 7:45 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Thanks.  Are those the outside dimensions of the seat?  The base height is also a big killer when it comes to fitting most seats into a Spitfire. The OE seat base is really close to the floor.  Even Miata seats often place the driver too high in the cabin, depending on driver torso length.

I don't know if the rust on that front-hit BRZ would be too much of a concern.  My guess is much of the car would have to be stripped to a bare shell during rally prep anyway, so the engine could be cleaned up and painted.  If the A/C is deleted, that tiny little compressor is enticing for classic car retro-fitting. 

enginenerd
enginenerd Reader
8/16/19 8:06 a.m.

Not super helpful but another data point for pricing. My 2015 BRZ was $5100 but needed a quarter panel pulled out some. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/17/19 8:34 a.m.
z31maniac said:
Knurled. said:
lnlogauge said:

Where do you see rust?

Exhaust heat shield, bolts on the pulley's, lots of corrosion on block and accessories. 

Andy, I'm guessing the reason is that front clip has been off the car for awhile.

Oh, that's just surface rust, it happens after it rains.  That's not rust you gotta worry about like the strut towers ready to blow out or something.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/17/19 9:54 a.m.
Ian F said:

In reply to Appleseed :

Thanks.  Are those the outside dimensions of the seat?  The base height is also a big killer when it comes to fitting most seats into a Spitfire. The OE seat base is really close to the floor.  Even Miata seats often place the driver too high in the cabin, depending on driver torso length.

I don't know if the rust on that front-hit BRZ would be too much of a concern.  My guess is much of the car would have to be stripped to a bare shell during rally prep anyway, so the engine could be cleaned up and painted.  If the A/C is deleted, that tiny little compressor is enticing for classic car retro-fitting. 

No, that's just the internal dimensions where you sit. I'll get you external dimensions later today. What specifics would you like?  Hight of the seat rails, total hight, width? 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
8/17/19 10:03 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Don't worry about it.  There are so many subtle variables that the only way to really know if one could fit is to actually get a seat and get it into the car. So far, the only modern seat that sort of fits is from the NA/NB Miata. Barely. With modifications.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
8/21/19 7:37 a.m.
Andy Neuman said:

May be too wrecked but it’s close to you

Alright, anybody want to speculate on whether those strut towers have moved?  This one is really worth thinking about.

MrChaos
8/21/19 7:41 a.m.

Honestly to me it doesn't look like they have moved. The fenders are straight and the strut tower bars look fine.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
8/21/19 8:56 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:
Andy Neuman said:

May be too wrecked but it’s close to you

Alright, anybody want to speculate on whether those strut towers have moved?  This one is really worth thinking about.

If only you knew someone close enough to go look at it 2704 GERYVILLE PIKE
PENNSBURG, PENNSYLVANIA 18073

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
8/21/19 9:00 a.m.

I mean, it's right near my house but I'd have to take off from work to see it before auction time.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
8/21/19 9:02 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

I mean, it's right near my house but I'd have to take off from work to see it before auction time.

Seems worth it if you're seriously considering this route.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
8/21/19 10:12 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

I understand the whole having to take off work thing. I asked off for 1 day and was denied last week... I own 20% of the company.  

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
8/21/19 5:31 p.m.

I left work early to look at it- I'm probably going to be outbid.  Everything from the front control arm mounts back is just fine and it fired right up and sounded happy.

Also Copart is a magical place and I must return.

This exchange happened at the front desk:

Counter guy: Lot number?

Me: *Number*

Counter guy: *Types* O U wAnT tHaT dRiFtY bOi *mimics handbrake turn in office chair*

Lot guy: Where we going

Counter guy: hE wAnT tHe DrIfTy BoI

Lot guy: *mimcs handbrake turn around the counter* fOlLoW mE tO dRiFtY bOi

Me: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Opti
Opti Dork
8/21/19 7:01 p.m.

Probably fine. As someone said fenders aren't bad. And if its just a little bent, who cares for a race car. Put adjustable parts on and get the angles right and race it

MrChaos
8/21/19 7:05 p.m.

its not like bumpers arnt consumables in rally anyway

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso Dork
8/22/19 7:30 p.m.

I wonder what the reserve is. 

slowbird
slowbird Reader
8/22/19 7:38 p.m.

from now on I will refer to every brz/frs/86 I see as "the drifty boi"

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/22/19 9:52 p.m.

HA! I just might as well.

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports Reader
8/23/19 12:03 a.m.

don't forget to add $1000 in fees to any copart price.

nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports Reader
8/23/19 12:06 a.m.
1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
33K6RtdVHQKJyTbMW9GXlBUZ7korS5aPpLUK1BXTVc0N7qKEDnw6uJwTCkYoj9IF