Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
6/28/19 2:24 p.m.
feature_image

We have learned—or perhaps more accurately relearned—a lot about E30 seats with this project. We say relearned, as it has been a decade since we have messed with these great cars. It’s amazing what can slip you mind with time.

Our VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) told us that our car was originally equipped with Code 269, anthracite, cloth interior.

Most …

Read the rest of the story

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/28/19 3:14 p.m.

"In the original BMW press kit for the 1991 318is, leather interior is not listed as an option for this model. Could you imagine a BMW without leather in 2019?"

In reply to Tim Suddard :

Tim, many new lower-end BMWs come with "leatherette" seats. 

Which is just vinyl with a new, fancy name. 

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
6/28/19 3:17 p.m.
z31maniac said:

"In the original BMW press kit for the 1991 318is, leather interior is not listed as an option for this model. Could you imagine a BMW without leather in 2019?"

In reply to Tim Suddard :

Tim, many new lower-end BMWs come with "leatherette" seats. 

Which is just vinyl with a new, fancy name. 

I think the intent behind the comment has more to do with coming with cloth or the like. BMW's leatherette or Mercedes-Benz's MB-Tex notwithstanding. 

GeoS
GeoS None
6/30/19 2:51 a.m.

I have a 1987 German market M3. It came with an anthrazit spec'd interior. The seat covers and panel inserts are a cloth houndstooth pattern. Front seats are the sport seats with the pull handles. The rear ones have a "bucket" style indent for 2 passengers with headrests. 

Looks like there a wide variety of interior versions based on trims, markets, etc. Did not know about the horse hair. Mine are foam (April 87 build). 

I like the cloth interior. A bit different from all the fully optioned North American cars. It matches well with the manual windows and sunroof. Try and find that on a modern M car. :)

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
6/30/19 7:17 a.m.

The new 3 Series this week has leather as a $1450 option. Thanks for all the feeback!

sfisher71
sfisher71 New Reader
10/3/19 2:16 p.m.

So my new-to-me 318is has sport seats in anthracite. The only damage is (naturally) to the, er, distal bolster on the driver's side of the seatback, where it's come open. 

For the drive home from Montana, I just slipped a black T-shirt over the seatback. It's neither optimal nor permanent, but if the foam starts to deteriorate it will at least keep the crumbs off my clothes while we work up a permanent solution.

...I've actually been toying with the idea of sheepskins, in a dark-ish grey, custom fitted for the Sport seats. Very period-correct, I seem to recall, though I suppose I should get aviator sunglasses and a Members Only jacket to complete the Goodwood look. So, maybe not.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V848nDQtws2LKzvz3kmVMqOmfBg87bX1wDs2DG5MDTdgVzZO6HiwqPwG6heeHM2M