Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Digital Experience Director
8/20/18 10:53 a.m.
feature_image

We had a plan for our 318is’s engine, but now we needed one for the suspension. Our goal? Build a comfortable street car that could still out-corner a real E30 M3. We didn’t need to reinvent the wheel, but we did need to make some careful choices: should we run expensive coil-overs, for example? What about the bushings: rubber or …

Read the rest of the story

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
8/20/18 2:43 p.m.

How do Eibach's spring rates compare to stock or an M3 of the era? How are bar sizes compared to those two? 

duke906
duke906 New Reader
8/24/18 12:31 p.m.

I once owned a 318is (why I sold it I'll never know) but I installed the Bilstein BTS spring/shock combo and it was fantastic, just as advertised, ride firm but not uncomfortable with handling limits far beyond my driving ability.  Great HPDE combo.

I would love to compare them when yo are done, but alas mine is gone

Sounbwoy
Sounbwoy New Reader
9/16/18 12:36 p.m.

Most of the suspension stuff also applies to the 325is, does it not? I have an '89 and my goals are pretty similar to this project.

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/17/18 7:31 p.m.

With my old 318is track car, I ran:

• Turner Motorsports J-Stock springs
  • Bilstein Sports revalved to “Firehawk spec”
  • Ireland Engineering front & rear ARBs, mounts, and bushings
  • K-MAC camber plates 
  • Urethane engine, trans, diff, and rear subframe mounts (don’t remember the brand...AKG?)
  • Various low-end tires: generally Toyo RA1s

Handling was completely neutral and benign. You could easily 4-wheel drift through pretty much any corner. Fast as heck around Tremblant.

streber
streber
9/25/18 3:27 p.m.

Is there any logic to using the adjustable bushings vs welding on the adjustment tabs?  I'm sure the welded one is a much bigger job, but is it worth it vs just doing the bushings?

rover215
rover215 New Reader
1/26/19 12:58 p.m.

Will you be revealing specifics on the components, settings, etc? I'm building my own e30 project using a Honda K24A2 engine from a 2008 TSX. The suspension setup you plan on using for Project 318is sounds perfect for my car, too. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vbW7VvMGTQSwKe8dyuxfn47QXWpfNgBtANEV8BvzHpJQNAM1DAQseRG47YBTrXtX