JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/30/18 2:32 p.m.
feature_image

When you have a high performance car that you intend to use on track, you need high performance tires to interface with that track. When you have a Corvette, though, there’s quite a large number of venues and classes you could possibly exercise the car in, so there’s many tire choices whether you’re competing or simply wanting to go fast. …

Read the rest of the story

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
7/30/18 2:35 p.m.

Thank you! I was just wondering the other day how close the gap was between full on slicks, and top shelf 200tw

Justjim75
Justjim75 Reader
7/30/18 2:37 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

I was wondering who else was cruising the forums instead of actual work.  Lol

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Dork
7/31/18 4:58 a.m.

Looks like you've also shined up the blue Silverado

rosejm
rosejm None
7/31/18 12:18 p.m.

I know you've got to go with what the sponsors can provide...

Would have been far more interesting to the audience if you'd also used top-tier race tires against the top-tier 200tw tire.

te72
te72 Reader
7/31/18 12:19 p.m.

Well, this sort of explains why my local autocross group lumped everyone with 200tw tires in with the few of us who were running things closer to or actual slicks. Had the opportunity to drive an S197 Mustang with RE71R's on it, came away very impressed. Have never driven a Mustang before in my life, couldn't hardly see anything due to outward visibility (and drove accordingly slow), and yet managed a time that was only about a second off my 'hair on fire' pace that I drive my car with.

For a tire that won't certainly kill you (as opposed to slicks or worn 100tw tires like mine) if you happen to run over the residue from a lawn sprinkler, I came away highly impressed. I may go this route for next season so I can drive my car to the tracks in Utah and Colorado so I don't have to figure out how to transport tires.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/31/18 3:29 p.m.
rosejm said:

I know you've got to go with what the sponsors can provide...

Would have been far more interesting to the audience if you'd also used top-tier race tires against the top-tier 200tw tire.

It was discussed, but we felt like it would add another level of complication and change the flavor of this particular test. We do plan to try some brand-Hs against the R1Ss before long, though.

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/31/18 4:18 p.m.

Taken from the Lemons Rule Book:

" 2.3: Tire Eligibility: DOT-approved street tires only, minimum treadwear rating 190, factory cast into sidewall; no exceptions. BTW, don’t call us to moan that there aren’t any good tires sold in that range. That’s the damn point. "

LOL... I suppose that's one way to find the whiners...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gR4vHSFNnNjx5KT13z64qnjCdOHUto59BrUpTQxUplz6QqhECtOok4SAvTBic6Ko