Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
4/2/20 12:00 p.m.
feature_image

Put simply, our F-250 needed more power. No, not more horsepower--its V10 makes plenty of horsepower--but more electricity. A new battery is all it took to fix it. 

How to Test a Battery

Batteries are annoying, right? They work perfectly for four, five, six or more years, then one day they just stop and leave you stranded. 

Except, well, that’s not …

Read the rest of the story

purplepeopleeater
purplepeopleeater Reader
4/2/20 2:40 p.m.

Be advised that should your Optima need to be recharged it is a more complicated procedure than just plugging in your charger & turning it on. Several years back I worked at a FLAPS that sold Optimas & we could never get them to take a charge when they came in flat. We were all idiots but that wasn't the reason. IIRC, it has been a while it needs to be charged in series through a conventional battery but if you have a flat Optima go to their website.

Ha! I threw away a battery from my challenge CRX because I couldn't get it to charge. @purplepeopleeater is correct-you can fool a regular charger into charging an AGM by using another battery, or by buying a specific charger.

bklecka
bklecka New Reader
4/7/20 1:53 p.m.

I have owned a SuperDuty pickup since 2002. I have gone though several sets of batteries. I bought a couple sets of Motorcraft batteries and decided to find something better. I researched the Optima yellow tops and decided to buy a set. Autozone only had one in stock and I needed them that day so they suggested that I try their new line of AGM batteries. I bought a pair of the new Duralast Platinum AGM batteries and I have had fantastic luck with them. I am on my second set now and will continue to replace all my batteries with them. Plus they sell for about $169 apiece and usually if you ask for a discount they give you 5 or 10 percent off at the register. 

bashr52
bashr52 New Reader
4/8/20 8:09 a.m.

You may want to replace the battery cables while you are at it as well. Those bolt on style terminals usually just end up spelling trouble.

Tom Suddard
4/14/21 2:55 p.m.

Time for the one-year update here: So far so good. I leave the truck sitting for 2-3 weeks at a time with zero prep or charging, and the Optima hasn't let me down yet.

Tom Suddard
7/19/23 2:45 p.m.

Another update at the three-year mark: Still leave the truck sitting for 2-3 weeks at a time, and it still starts every time. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bog8IiId553sSfpXJoJzyrszIRFpuAJGua61RJzsPeHy62Dz6spPgJtCnsFP1ay8