Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
4/1/20 2:58 p.m.
feature_image

We’d accomplished our mission: Buy a used race car for $500, prep it for its return to the track, then go racing. We got the car on track, everyone got to drive, the car was fun, etc.

One problem: Accomplished is a spectrum, and after fighting a bad transmission during every lap, we watched our Volkswagen Fox lose a wheel halfway …

Read the rest of the story

Honsch
Honsch New Reader
4/3/20 12:43 p.m.

Uh oh.

You guys are going to HATE the stock transmission.  The gear ratios are AWFUL for racing.  It's also just as fragile as the 2P/9Q.

It's worth the effort to modify the car for a 012 from a B5 Passat if you have the ability to make custom axles.

aw614
aw614 Reader
4/3/20 12:56 p.m.
Honsch said:

Uh oh.

You guys are going to HATE the stock transmission.  The gear ratios are AWFUL for racing.  It's also just as fragile as the 2P/9Q.

It's worth the effort to modify the car for a 012 from a B5 Passat if you have the ability to make custom axles.

How much modification is needed to get a B5 transmission to fit? I can see it  bolting up to the motor. I kept thinking could a more common 1.8t a4/b5 passat trans open up the available pool in parts.

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
4/3/20 1:05 p.m.

Apparently the Passat trans is theoretically possible, but a huge amount of work.   

Didn't later Foxes come standard with a 5 speed?  I thought the 4 speed was only in the early cars.  

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/3/20 1:11 p.m.
Sonic said:

Apparently the Passat trans is theoretically possible, but a huge amount of work.   

Didn't later Foxes come standard with a 5 speed?  I thought the 4 speed was only in the early cars.  

Yes, yes, they did. I know because I had one. it was a 1993. Ratios were not awful but I never had it on track.

Honsch
Honsch New Reader
4/3/20 1:35 p.m.
Sonic said:

It is a lot of work, but none of it is terribly difficult, except for making the custom axles.

I've got a '88 Fox wagon race car in the garage that I did the swap on because we couldn't get any more 2P transmissions.

Things you need:

1. An 012 transmission.
2. A clutch/flywheel/starter for the car the 012 transmission is from.
3. A hydraulic clutch setup.  I used a Wilwood 3/4 cylinder and added a clevis/pushrod to the stock pedal.  I made an 3-AN to VW quick disconnect adapter for the slave cylinder.
4. A custom shifter and linkage.  It's a funky shaped rod with a universal joint in it.
5. A new rear transmission mount made from a piece of angle iron.
6. A new dust shield for the 012 transmission.
7. Big hammers, a port-a-power, and lots of swearing to enlarge the trans tunnel so the significantly larger 012 fits under the car.
8. Perhaps a modified exhaust to go around the larger trans?  Ours was already modified for a custom 4-2-1 long tube header I made,
9. Custom axles with a Fox CV on the outside and Passat CV that mates to the transmission on the inside.

Piece of cake!

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
4/3/20 1:39 p.m.

Our current plan is to rebuild the 5-speed we took out of the car, then keep this 4-speed as a spare. And yes, later Foxes came with 5-speeds. Who knows, maybe the junkyard was wrong and we really have a 5-speed. 

bluetoes591
bluetoes591 New Reader
4/4/20 1:50 p.m.

In reply to Sonic :

5-speeds were available for the entirety of 1987-1993, but started on just the Sport model and slowly spread until most Foxes had them. 4-speed was still standard on the 2-door till the end.

bluetoes591
bluetoes591 New Reader
4/4/20 1:55 p.m.
Honsch said:

Uh oh.

This. The 4-speed is the worst possible thing you can do. You lose 51% of your revs between first and second. And the gearing is such that you'll likely be using first on the regular at some tracks. I kinda like the PW 4-speed for in town use, put it in second and leave it there. It has no sporty application.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2g2Jggb2ArnZTVPjIs9SfRtyB2D6QZl7AWPmESPYOmzUxugGKWNqVWrFqWEhgBeF