1 2
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Digital Experience Director
12/12/18 12:58 p.m.
feature_image

We're no strangers to building race cars from scratch. Multiple times we've started with a bone stock street car, then written about every single step of the process to prepare it for the track. And while that makes for good editorial, it's a little bit hypocritical of us: We often write that the best way to get into racing is …

Read the rest of the story

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/12/18 1:07 p.m.

I got to the ABA swap and thought well that's a weird engine swap for a Fox body then said ohhhhh ... that kind of Fox.  

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/12/18 1:12 p.m.

And I also was thinking "another Mustang build up".  Thank you for making me wrong!

And glad to see it has the "good" ignition coil/transistor.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
12/12/18 1:18 p.m.

Love it!!!  Tom has been a race teammate a few times and is a great guy.  The car was pretty damn fast and well cared for by him.  It did make him want to pull his hair out though...

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/12/18 1:37 p.m.

Came for fox-body content.

Leaving optimistically disappointed?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/12/18 3:55 p.m.

I knew I wasn't the only one expecting Mustang. Ha!

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/12/18 6:52 p.m.

I give it 36 months before it sees a rallysprint

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/13/18 7:27 a.m.

Wheel/Tires, coil-overs, 2.0 motor > $500.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
12/13/18 7:50 a.m.

The car in its' racing prime....

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/13/18 8:58 a.m.
pinchvalve said:

Wheel/Tires, coil-overs, 2.0 motor > $500.

Agreed that's a great value.

Rules-wise, one of the best things Lemons has done in recent years (unofficially) is lighten up a little and allow cars that aren't steaming piles.  BS judging has done a pretty dang good job of classing competitively.  Show up as a dark horse with a nice car and you're going in A.  Your racing results (consistent pattern of failure) will get you reclassed appropriately.  Lemony cars that have a pedigree of winning move up and/or get laps.  

It's a system that seems to work well, even if it infuriates rulebookineers.  There's other low buck series more tailored to that style though.  

Congrats on the purchase!  I look forward to racing with you guys some time.

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
12/13/18 12:09 p.m.

If ever two words were meant to be together, it would be “Fox” and “project.”

I jest- this will be a cool project to follow!

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
12/13/18 12:14 p.m.

Score!

boeheed
boeheed None
12/13/18 3:06 p.m.

We took over for Tom in the Lemons Fox camp last year with a sportwagen. They're delightfully awful cars. Let us know if you're gonna coax it up to the northeast.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
12/13/18 3:41 p.m.

I am so chuffed this is not another poontang build. 

Mike T
Mike T New Reader
12/13/18 4:54 p.m.

The 1987 Fox that I bought new and autocrossed made a great street car. A somewhat less than mediocre Autocross car. No idea what sort of road racer. If you want a car with a really low 1st gear and really high 2nd gear well then this is the car for you. I look forward to future episodes.

Mike T

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
12/13/18 7:41 p.m.
Javelin said:

Came for fox-body content.

Leaving optimistically disappointed?

I figured it was fox-body but clicked anyhow on the off chance it was a Fox

So I'm leaving highly pleased :)

bvward1227
bvward1227 None
12/14/18 2:08 p.m.

A lot of the suspension is Audi/Dasher compatible, as is the drivetrain. It is possible to put a 1.8/2.0 16V motor in it if you use Audi 90 2.0 liter intake and exhaust manifolds. One issue is the distributor sticking out into the battery tray.

Unfortunately, most of these Brazilian beauties have rusted back into the earth here in the Northeast...

I had one that was gifted to me, needing only a passenger side half shaft. Used that car to Marshal the Maine Forest Rally back in '02. John Buffum gave everyone $20.00 for gas ;)

Car had an issue with aquaplaning... Great in the snow, though.

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/21/18 5:42 a.m.
Mike T said:

The 1987 Fox that I bought new and autocrossed made a great street car. A somewhat less than mediocre Autocross car. No idea what sort of road racer. If you want a car with a really low 1st gear and really high 2nd gear well then this is the car for you. I look forward to future episodes.

Mike T

That's funny! I had a 1993 Fox that I bought new on April Fools' Day 1995. The car was a good value, not really memorable, but I will never forget that huge gap from first to second gear. 

ernest
ernest New Reader
1/14/19 7:30 p.m.

Like previous posters had mentioned: the Fox carries over alot of drivetrain parts from the '80 - '87 Audi 4000. The trans, subframe and front suspension/struts should be swapable.

The hot ticket is to get some '89-'91 audi 80/90 10v 2 piece front struts, you can modify them for xtra camber at the knuckle and also use G60 Corrado 11" rotors calipers and carriers (big brakes!), the downside is you have to drill the hubs for 4x100 bolt pattern. You can also run mkII 16v GTI rear discs and get rid of the crappy drums!

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
1/14/19 7:56 p.m.
MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/14/19 8:57 p.m.

In reply to nutherjrfan :

i dig the purple interior

Donatello
Donatello New Reader
1/28/19 6:45 p.m.

You are brave. Should have been called the Volkswagen "fix". This is the car that made me love Hondas. Although the previous owner's success with it is a good sign. If GRM needed any more proof that they support the underdog this is it.

Jumper K Balls (Trent)
Jumper K Balls (Trent) PowerDork
1/28/19 7:27 p.m.

I'm on the other side of the continent but I did dig a close ratio Audi 4000s 5 speed out of my storage building today to put on craigslist.......

Mike924
Mike924 Reader
1/29/19 7:16 a.m.

I don't know why, but I have always liked the VW Fox.  Probably because growing up I was a kid in the back seat of an Audi Fox.  I will have a soft spot for these cars.  But i can never find one.  I will need to look at the links above for the abandoned projects.  

+1 for following this build.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/29/19 7:30 a.m.
nutherjrfan said:

some other guys abandoned project foxes. smiley

Way too close to me.   Good thing I am broke.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UWl4HJykNuRd9cDzgE080egDx9FMeCny4n8qZVVWtSu1Wx5GJEaO81DG8BagM8Mf