Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
3/3/20 9:30 a.m.
feature_image

Story and Photography by Wayne Presley and Tom Suddard

Thanks to a weekend in the garage and some bolt-on suspension parts, our Scion FR-S, salvaged from the clutches of a Copart auction, now had a chassis appropriate to that sleek sheet metal. Now it was time to make the car go as well as it turned.

The FR-S/BRZ engine is …

Read the rest of the story

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
3/4/20 10:25 p.m.

I hope you are ready to begin the long drawn out battle of underhood temps. Gonna need a large oil cooler, really good flowing rad fans that aren't going to melt close to your turbo, turbo blanket for sure, and probably hood vents. I avoided turbo and went supercharger for this very reason.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
3/5/20 7:09 a.m.

Solid article, very interested in this project. Good work!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/5/20 7:20 a.m.

Hows that spray on coating hold up? Especially long term? Have a link to an advertisor that I can buy it from?

Need to do a header for a restoration. 

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/5/20 7:46 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Hows that spray on coating hold up? Especially long term? Have a link to an advertisor that I can buy it from?

+1 on this

LifeIsStout
LifeIsStout GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/5/20 1:06 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

+2, I just picked up some downpipes and I was looking at coatings.  Is this in a spray can, do you need a spray gun instead?  I looked on Amazon, but it's not 100% clear what's needed

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
3/5/20 1:53 p.m.

I'm kinda new to the Compressor Speed Gauge. Could you elaborate more on that? 

engiekev
engiekev Reader
3/5/20 1:57 p.m.

More on cerakote air dry:

https://www.cerakote.com/shop/cerakote-coating/C-7600/cerakote-glacier-black

I have some I need to try out.

Regular cerakote holds up very well to corrosion, but it would be interesting to see how the high temp stuff holds up to heat cylces:

https://www.cerakote.com/resources/testing

https://www.cerakote.com/resources/cerakote-vs-other-coatings

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/5/20 2:15 p.m.
LifeIsStout said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

+2, I just picked up some downpipes and I was looking at coatings.  Is this in a spray can, do you need a spray gun instead?  I looked on Amazon, but it's not 100% clear what's needed

Degrease. Bake @250. Sandblast. Spray Gun application. Cure 5 days. Quart of product will be round $200 by the time it reaches you.

I read this as a week-long project that is going to cost you $250-$300 if you already own a sandblaster, and oven and the paint gun and compressor.

How much to have a header jet-hot coated?

https://emeraldcoatings.com/product/cerakote-jet-black-1-quart/

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
3/5/20 2:34 p.m.

I'm kinda new to the Compressor Speed Gauge. Could you elaborate more on that? 

There are a few things you can do with it. One is to plot your setup on the compressor map more accurately. Big whoop. Another one is to make sure you aren't overspeeding the turbo even when everything is working as intened (i.e. you sized it wrong). Another thing is as feedback for an electronically controlled wastegate or VGT setup  (rare). It seems to me the most useful thing you get from it as a standalone doodad is a 'boost leak detector gauge' because people have a problem of not noticing boost leaks and then zinging their turbos to the moon and blowing them up.  Most wastegate setups are relying on pressure that makes it to the intact manifold to regulate turbine speed. If you have a boost leak your turbo spins faster and faster to try to get to that manifold pressure and eventually will suffer damage. There are other clues to boost leaks, but once you've established 'normal' max rpms for your setup, anything higher than that will indicate a problem to look into. 

LifeIsStout
LifeIsStout GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/5/20 5:00 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Cool, appreciate that info, I may just take them to a local place, I don't have all of the stuff to do that. Spray can I can do, but I don't have an oven to bake in.

dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
3/5/20 6:00 p.m.

Its a Turbo Frisbee now. laugh

engiekev
engiekev Reader
3/6/20 2:29 p.m.
NOHOME said:
LifeIsStout said:
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Degrease. Bake @250. Sandblast. Spray Gun application. Cure 5 days. Quart of product will be round $200 by the time it reaches you.

I read this as a week-long project that is going to cost you $250-$300 if you already own a sandblaster, and oven and the paint gun and compressor.

How much to have a header jet-hot coated?

https://emeraldcoatings.com/product/cerakote-jet-black-1-quart/

Cerakote air dry is $70/pint when I bought it last, so $150 a quart. It costs at least $100-150 to coat just one header.  With air dry dont need an oven at all.

Read the links I posted, if you go to the cerakote product site there is an application guide for air dry cerakote. Its not hard but you need the right HVLP nozzle size, and prep or it will fail.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8A9sRQ4Da6djIhqDAZFFFRgQsc1YXZHIqPjOyMSLJO9uHpWgpzTN5Ng8fsZwlJqq