Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
3/18/20 11:49 a.m.
feature_image

Before Mark Stewart at Kirk Racing Products caged our 350Z for its future life on track, we admittedly cut a fairly major corner: removing the sound deadening. 

We skipped this miserable, time-consuming task to deliver the car on time. But we couldn’t paint our cage and take our car to the track until we finally got it done.

Sound …

Read the rest of the story

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/18/20 12:27 p.m.

Another method is to go to rally anarchy and enquire about the nitrogen death ray gun. You get a big dewar delivered, and then hook up the ray gun. When finished call up the gas supplier and they pick up the dewar. I've always wondered what would happen if you used a heat gun and then nailed the heated area with liquid nitrogen?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/18/20 2:16 p.m.

I'm not sure I want "horse semen tank" in my search history.

I pulled the sound deadening from the MG using an air chisel. Worked beautifully. But that was BMC-era insulation that was 40 years old at the time.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
3/18/20 2:22 p.m.

For those of you in colder climates, most places don't get "liquid nitrogen" cold but leaving a car out overnight when it's a decent amount below freezing will make sound deadening removal pretty easy the following morning by just whapping it with a rubber mallet, at least on 80s and 90s stuff.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
3/18/20 2:25 p.m.

what does it do to the wiring if hidden under the sound deadening ?

Patientzero
Patientzero Reader
3/18/20 4:40 p.m.

Did you weigh all the removed sound deadening?  

Tom Suddard
3/18/20 7:04 p.m.

The sound deadening is applied before wiring at the factory, so you won't find wiring under it. 

I was weighing pieces at first, but since probably 1/3 of it turned into powder in the shop vac, I don't feel confident in my weights to publish those numbers. Instead, I'm periodically weighing the car as it comes together. 

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
3/19/20 12:13 p.m.

These need to end up in "Say What?"

"What’s sound deadening? It’s a material invented by Satan with the singular goal of adding difficulty to race car builds."

"Gloves? Check. Coffee mug? Check. Ten liters of the most dangerous thing we’d ever purchased without showing I.D.? Check. "

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/19/20 12:15 p.m.

IIRC, back in high school, our science teacher demonstrated liquid nitrogen's power on a tennis ball. The frozen ball basically exploded once hit with a hammer.

Then, somehow, some dude's sneaker wound up in the liquid nitrogen. Yeah, it wasn't good for the shoe. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/19/20 12:20 p.m.

In reply to JoeyM :

Along with Keith Tanner's:

I'm not sure I want "horse semen tank" in my search history.

Tom Suddard
3/19/20 12:47 p.m.

I still have some liquid nitrogen left in the dewar, too. If I get bored enough during this quarantine I'll start smashing random items around the shop.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
3/19/20 7:10 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

I still have some liquid nitrogen left in the dewar, too. If I get bored enough during this quarantine I'll start smashing random items around the shop.

we used to freeze grapes and bananas, then throw them against the wall.  There are, however, better uses.  For example, here are some instructions for how to use it to make ice cream

https://www.stevespanglerscience.com/lab/experiments/liquid-nitrogen-ice-cream/

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
3/19/20 8:17 p.m.

“What are you talking about?” says Steve. “Buy a horse semen tank on eBay, then take it to your local welding shop and have it filled.” 

That’s… a thing? 

Yep. We fired up eBay, ordered some horse breeding gear from China for $190, and waited. Just to be safe we ordered a set of protective cryogenic gloves for $17, too, since liquid nitrogen can burn off fingers with instant frostbite. Neat!

This is a perfect example of why the magazine has been around for so long in a tough environment for publishing.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/19/20 8:47 p.m.

We used to use liquid nitrogen for therapeutic procedures on the race horses, so I got to play with it a bit. Amazing stuff, certainly intimidating to fool with.

I have to wonder, though. Of what use is it in welding?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
3/20/20 6:29 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc :

Welding gas suppliers usually sell to hospitals.  

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
3/20/20 9:12 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:

That was my favorite thing when doing MRO work. We had a giant tank of liquid nitrogen in the middle of the floor, ostensibly for shrinking bearings, but when we got bored during had some downtime we'd freeze random things we found around the hangar and hit them with a mallet.

Out of curiosity. Would CO2 blasting work for doing this kind of work, or would there be too much collateral damage? It seems like it would be easier on the vertical parts of the car.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/20/20 10:55 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

IIRC, back in high school, our science teacher demonstrated liquid nitrogen's power on a tennis ball. The frozen ball basically exploded once hit with a hammer.

Mine did a similar thing, but tried throwing the tennis ball on his desk. Only it wasn't quite frozen enough all over, so it bounced off the desk, off the ceiling, and shattered on a student desk in the middle of the room.

No injuries, but I bet he nearly soiled himself.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/20/20 11:14 a.m.

I remember doing some  odd things with liquid nitrogen in school.  One of which, not humane.

First was take a hefty chuck of metal (we used one of those soldering irons you'd heat in a little furnace in the shop class),  chill it down, then stick it into an open flame.  It was so cold, ice would form on it from the water vapor in the flame.

In the not humane category, we'd freeze a goldfish, then drop it back into it's tank and watch it swim away afterwards.  Something suggested in the "Boy's Science Projects" book of ideas we had, but probably ranks with pulling wings off of flies.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
3/20/20 11:35 a.m.

Done the same with dry ice. Not sure if that's more or less effective.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
10/17/20 4:41 p.m.

My son is a scientist and was doing wacky tricks for us when he was in grad school.  

Thank you students and tax payers for funding this.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YnCK7wRtBQOTjf0GUeU3qnFu9tmzU43dDxdpAEOqBl7ID5bUJGqsMrhEPA7wB6UA