JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/6/20 10:07 a.m.
feature_image

This all started when we went to put some new wipers on our 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo. We realized that our frunk–that being the front trunk–looked like butt. And not the good kind that Sir Mix-a-Lot raps about, but the scary kind that you accidentally see in the Walmart snack aisle at 3 a.m.

So we set about a quick …

Read the rest of the story

ShawneeCreek (Forum Supporter)
ShawneeCreek (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/6/20 10:57 a.m.

Nice. Detailing a slightly dirty car can be really rewarding, and a great way to spend an hour or two.

JG Pasterjak
8/6/20 11:03 a.m.
ShawneeCreek (Forum Supporter) said:

Nice. Detailing a slightly dirty car can be really rewarding, and a great way to spend an hour or two.

Yeah, there's a certain level of grime that delivers a massive payoff for minimal effort. I call it the "sweet spot of neglect"

snowrx
snowrx New Reader
8/6/20 12:27 p.m.

That busy little frunk makes my Esprit's one look huge.

JG Pasterjak
8/6/20 12:45 p.m.
snowrx said:

That busy little frunk makes my Esprit's one look huge.

First-gen MR2s had a huge frunk. the SW20 is nice and deep, but it's kind of narrow compared to the older car. Still plenty of room for activities, though. Between that and the big rear trunk and the space behind the seats, it's amazing how much room there is.

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
8/6/20 1:40 p.m.

New they came with plastic pieces that cover a lot of what JG's is showing, so it didn't look that big when new.  When I bought mine back in the early '90's, it had so much plastic in there you couldn't see the battery or anything else for that matter, only the spare.  

You need to write more about the MR2 JG, I love your car!  

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
8/6/20 2:24 p.m.
racerdave600 said:

New they came with plastic pieces that cover a lot of what JG's is showing, so it didn't look that big when new. 

Yup, here is what mine looks like. 

JG Pasterjak
8/6/20 2:32 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
racerdave600 said:

New they came with plastic pieces that cover a lot of what JG's is showing, so it didn't look that big when new. 

Yup, here is what mine looks like. 

My cover is somewhere in my garage. If I ever figure out what that location is it's getting cleaned up and going back in.

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
8/7/20 9:00 a.m.

On black/grey plastic trim, I've had good results with Mother's Back to Black trim restorer. It has plasticizers in the formula to help bring the plastic back to life. Works pretty well. Much better than just throwing some Armor All on there.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass New Reader
8/8/20 9:41 a.m.

I have a 91 turbo, didnt come with the plastic liner - if anyone knows of one PLEASE let me know, want one to get it back to 'factory' condition (you know, minus the Gen3 swap and little things here and there)

We need more SW20 content JG!

spandak
spandak HalfDork
8/8/20 11:16 a.m.

It's hard to tell but it doesn't actually look like there's room for anything...

What is up there? I see a battery, brake booster, etc... it seems weird that they couldn't find more space. That's one thing Porsche nailed with the Boxster. 

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass New Reader
8/8/20 11:45 a.m.

Spare tire goes up there, as well as the jack/tool kit for wheel changes.

Then, after that - maybe a small toolbag, not a ton of space really. But it's still enough. Right now I have a full size spare in using a stock wheel, nice having that over the 50mph skinny

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Bjyyv7CilWWLwMlddnmvrlIqsY5RTHIG9KgfASqzJJQXiDE0IPQmJz9Gz7MU8udI