JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/4/20 11:02 a.m.
feature_image

One of the most universally praised traits of Japanese sports cars of the '80s and '90s was their exceptional shift action. CRXs, Miatas, MR2s and RX7s all seemed to nail the right combination of slickness and positivity to make shifting an absolute delight—which was good, because keeping their peaky motors on boil required some gear rowing.

But many of the mechanisms …

Read the rest of the story

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
8/4/20 11:41 a.m.

Nice 

I went and checked my 94 MR2, and HOLY BATMAN, your OEM knob is so much bigger than mine!!

JG Pasterjak
8/4/20 1:08 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Nice 

I went and checked my 94 MR2, and HOLY BATMAN, your OEM knob is so much bigger than mine!!

They went to a lower profile knob when the first facelift happened. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
8/4/20 1:09 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:
mr2s2000elise said:

Nice 

They went to a lower profile knob when the first facelift happened. 

Makes sense. I never liked the 91-92. My 93T Turqouise had the smaller knob. 94-95s are my favorite, thus I sold the 93.

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
8/6/20 8:40 a.m.

I don't own an MR2, but love them just the same. Well done and documented how-to, the type I'd love to see  more of in GRM..

Are you guys really discussing shift knobs ?  Really ?

JG Pasterjak
8/6/20 9:31 a.m.
300zxfreak said:

I don't own an MR2, but love them just the same. Well done and documented how-to, the type I'd love to see  more of in GRM..

Are you guys really discussing shift knobs ?  Really ?

One thing I love about MR2 people is they will absolutly go full-Trekkie over minute uear-to year changes in completely insignificant features. "Ooh how did you get that '88 ashtray to fit in an '86 console without trimming the hinges?" is an actual conversation you may hear between MR2 people. 

300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
8/6/20 5:07 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak : Whilst we 300ZX people will discuss more important issues such as the color of the rivnuts found behind the inner fender liner.

BNolch
BNolch New Reader
8/7/20 7:44 p.m.

Was wondering why all the shift linkage, then remembered - mid engine,  Trans not under the driver so to speak.  Do any FR cars have such linkage?

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
8/7/20 11:31 p.m.

Sarah-n-Tuned

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHSbIfwVuec_BwUrYAqN_qw

go there for MR2 content

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6Ye1JoI5xBPy12Ee7YVLrCgkD8fgJuxPbgK4L0snSdp0bCzlZCYlLYgQZbdLFgkB