Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
6/27/19 10:32 a.m.
feature_image

We’re working on turning this $2000 van into a do-it-all machine that can tow a car to the track, then serve as a mobile workshop and hotel room for the weekend. Up next: Making the windows open. 

This van, like most cargo vans, doesn't have much airflow compared to a tent. That's because only the front windows open. Most people …

Read the rest of the story

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/27/19 10:39 a.m.

This was what I needed to see this morning. I love this project. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
6/27/19 10:41 a.m.

My wife made a similar one for my garage service door window.  She sewed flat magnets in the top and bottom.  Never lose the magnets.  Pull on or off instantly.  

Tom Suddard
6/27/19 12:35 p.m.
spacecadet said:

This was what I needed to see this morning. I love this project. 

It's not impossible, We just haven't figured out how to do it yet.

Glad to hear that! You’ll see a bunch of updates coming out over the next few weeks; I finally sat down and wrote them all. 

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/27/19 1:14 p.m.

very cool and relevant. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia HalfDork
6/27/19 2:08 p.m.

I did the same on my Chevy van , but GM saved money by not drilling the holes if you got solid windows , 

So we needed to drill the holes for the popouts.......they were "almost" square !   Enough that the latch closed at least !

Also made some pockets for the back doors to store small things like tape , bungees etc

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/27/19 2:11 p.m.

Any plans to add a roof vent?

Tom Suddard
6/27/19 2:43 p.m.

Not at this point. With the pop-out windows and a 12v fan, it's quite comfortable to sleep in.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/27/19 2:47 p.m.

Looking ready for your spot down by the river!

laugh

californiamilleghia
6/27/19 2:53 p.m.

Any back up camera to help line up the trailer and not run over things ?

Or parking sensors to help you park in smaller spaces ?

Tom Suddard
6/27/19 3:01 p.m.
ojannen
ojannen Reader
6/27/19 3:04 p.m.

Do you have any concerns about a fan or fridge running over night and draining the car battery?

Tom Suddard
6/27/19 3:18 p.m.

Yes, we'll cover the solar panel in a future update. 

californiamilleghia
6/27/19 3:57 p.m.

Thanks the backup camera looks the same as the $4 ones on eBay , good to see a photo of it mounted and see how small it is which will make it easy  to use 2 , one for trailer hitch and the other for backup

Thanks

redtanrt10
redtanrt10
6/27/19 4:18 p.m.

Interested in this project, I have an '03 E-150 Chateau.  Great hauler, rated at 6300 lbs with the 5.4.

I found a new set of those windows, and the interior surrounds for under $200.  But they have that mirror like green tint vs. the medium dark of the factory privacy glass.  All the local tint guys said no way to match so I sold them.  Tell me the fix?  Keep up the greart work.

Tom Suddard
6/27/19 4:35 p.m.

These weren’t tinted at all, but I had them tinted with 5% black tint, which would cover any difference quite well. 

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/28/19 10:17 a.m.

Great project. I'm loving the utility and low investment on this one. Big vans are crazy cheap compared to pickups. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/28/19 10:23 a.m.

Did you do any sort of screen to keep bugs out?

Tom Suddard
6/28/19 12:49 p.m.

Yes–we've used screens from https://theskeeterbeater.com for years and never been disappointed. 

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
6/29/19 2:34 p.m.

Great update! Relevant to current needs

redtanrt10
redtanrt10 New Reader
6/30/19 12:47 a.m.

Hey Tom, loving this project since I’ve got an E150. I need to look into the inverter and going back to the junk yard for rear windows 

Here’s a tip or future purchase idea for you. The bed looks good but you can find an oem bench/bed seat. Ford used them in mid ‘90’s then discontinued them. Looks like a stock 4 passenger bench but has an extra panel behind the seat back that folds out. Their pretty slick and the you also have factory belts for passengers while your rolling 

I also like  your external power and may think about that. I just added a black and decker internal outlet that runs off the cigarette lighter but that inverter looks slick. Thanks!!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CUw4sRBQyD5f9TejisYWOGyePX00l8CiVybHF6m2A9MF8RwfKZqtpbPRcN8t0opI