1 2 3 4
neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
2/13/09 9:28 a.m.

I had an "incident" last friday that required new shoes, so I picked up some walmart knok-off All stars. $12 woot

Treb
Treb New Reader
2/13/09 9:35 a.m.

My picks have been covered already: chucks, sambas, pumas.

To some extent, it depends on the car, the pedal layout, and the style of heel-and-toe you prefer (heel-toe, or big toe-little toe)

The chucks have very square edges to the soles, so big toe-little toe style can be tough if the pedal layout isn't great.

Pumas and Sambas have more rounded soles. Pumas and chucks are better if the footwell is narrow; Sambas are a bit wider, which is useful if the pedal layout is wide.

EricM
EricM HalfDork
2/13/09 10:13 a.m.
914Driver wrote:
neon4891 wrote: off-brand crocks, I take them off and drive bare foot
Not sure how that would fly at an organized event, but in NY it will get you a ticket just driving around. The logic is you would not depress the pedals as hard as necessary when in panic mode with no shoes on.

The state of Illinois, though advises against it, has no law about driving barefooted.

I leaned that in traffic school after my 43 in a 35 mph zone ticket.

ArtOfRuin
ArtOfRuin HalfDork
2/13/09 8:35 p.m.

I bought a pair of these last September:

I bought them just in time for the last autocross event of the year, so I did get to test them in anger. I love 'em. They are pricey, but they are very comfortable even for a flat-foot like me. I had an easier time with my pedalwork than with my Etnies, and my feet were comfortable during the 5-ish hours I must have spent standing on the tarmac for cone duty or shooting the E36 M3 in the paddocks. Plus, I get complements on them wherever I go, especially from the ladies.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
2/13/09 9:40 p.m.
Josh wrote: This seems like a good time to point out that Bargain Outfitters currently has the Piloti Spyder SV for $39.95, most sizes available.

Great link ordered mine today, thanks mate

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Reader
2/14/09 7:44 a.m.
Josh wrote: This seems like a good time to point out that Bargain Outfitters currently has the Piloti Spyder SV for $39.95, most sizes available. They seem to be well regarded, I will pass judgment once I get them in my hands (ordered them Friday). Use coupon code BF1144 to save an additional $5 off shipping. I think that last guy has us covered for canoes though.

Josh. How do these Piloti Spyder SV run size wise? I take a 9.5 in a converse all star but a 10 in most other shoes. Do theses run smaller or bigger?

Josh
Josh Reader
2/14/09 9:06 a.m.

I take a 10.5-11 or euro 44-45 in most shoes, and the 10.5 in the Piloti fits great. I'd say they are average to 1/4 size large for their number.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Reader
2/14/09 2:59 p.m.

cool thanks!

VonSmallhausen
VonSmallhausen GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/14/09 7:17 p.m.

I have a set of Puma Replicats ( I think) replicas of the racing shoe, very nice but not fire proof.

ww
ww Dork
2/15/09 1:53 a.m.

These are NOT fire resistant either. These are their basic "driving" shoe and have no nomex or other fire retardant material.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Reader
2/16/09 9:21 a.m.

Yes street car driving shoes. Hopefull they fit like my race shoes so i don't wear out the $$ shoes driving to and from the races. :)

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Reader
2/20/09 3:53 p.m.

Got them this am. Wow they fit nice. While not SFI stamped they are nomex and leather or so says the tag. Strange to get your foot in to with the bungey cord lases but once one you don't even know there are shoes on your feet.

Thanks for the bargin outfitters link. I got two battery float chargers too. to replace the one fried by the ice storm power surge.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
2/20/09 7:22 p.m.

I got my Pilotis today, red/black, look great, breaking them in here in front of Max Paine, so comfortable

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 New Reader
8/30/10 9:54 a.m.

I wore Sambas for years. They're great. Actually, they're "my shoe". I wear them all the time. But I did get a pair of Piloti shoes (they had them at Ross for $20- Prototipo) that I wear for autocross. The sole is a little stiffer and has a small bump out at the spot where your toes meet your foot. Makes it easier to heal/toe.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 New Reader
8/30/10 9:58 a.m.
ArtOfRuin wrote: They are pricey, but they are very comfortable even for a flat-foot like me. I had an easier time with my pedalwork than with my Etnies, and my feet were comfortable during the 5-ish hours I must have spent standing on the tarmac for cone duty...

Yeah, those!

I put them on right before I start my runs. I wear my old running shoes when working course. I figure I want to make the Pilotis last as long as I can. I'm guessing wearing them, what, 30 minutes at a time, 10 times a year... yeah, they should last a good while.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
8/30/10 10:07 a.m.

I have G-Force high top racing shoes. They meet all the SFI requirements and are thin soled and thin in width so you don't tangle up.

When I'm just fooling around at the track and its hot or there is a lot of walking between sessions... I just wear regular running shoes, sandals or whatever. Fashion is not my forte so as long as I can modulate the brake well enough its fine.

For the record... clean non-SFI "driving shoes" at a race track scream noob as loud as a shiny new driving suit in a heavy street car. If you want to blend, hit a few mud puddles first. And get some sweat grime on that Sparco suit so you only look silly when you are getting in/out of your M5.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
8/30/10 10:15 a.m.

I have a pair of the prerequisite Speedcats... I actually don't care for them outside of the car, though. The sole is narrower than my foot, which makes walking in them not very comfortable. Anymore I just wear my Puma Suedes. They're light and narrow enough for pedal work, and comfy enough to actually walk around. The biggest thing I like about 'em, though, is that the liner behind the heel is leather instead of cloth, so they last me MUCH longer than any other shoe.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
8/30/10 10:22 a.m.

I have Speedcats that are past due for a replacement.

I love the Speedcats for driving, but they're brutal when chasing cones, and they just aren't comfy for everyday use.

I also have an old pair of Adidas Sala that are decent for driving, but the same thing. BRUTAL to walk around in.

I need to figure out what to get. I like the Piloti Prototipos, but are they as bulky as they look? I like a narrow driving shoe. Are they comfy to walk around in for extended periods?

Also looking at the Adidas Goodyear series, or just another pair of Speedcats and then suck up the pain.

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/22/10 6:29 a.m.

I run either a set of 5.10 Freeriders, Piloti DTMs, or some Simpson hi-top racing shoe depending on what I'm doing. oddly enough, it's easier to heel-toe with my feet between the gas and the brake if I'm wearing the 5.10s and damn near impossible with the racing shoes, and there's not really enough room to do the kicker style heel-toe

96DXCivic
96DXCivic SuperDork
9/22/10 8:33 a.m.

I didn't really love the Prototipo. I do however love indoor soccer shoes for driving. Although a lot of the time I wear flip flops and just drive bare foot not autocrossing obviously.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Reader
9/22/10 9:31 a.m.

I have a pair of Puma Panigale's that I use for racing. They take all the good points of the speedcats and add even more comfort.

http://reviews.journeys.com/5700/151475/reviews.htm

I also have a pair of brown speedcats that I love, but they get more daily worn now since I discovered the Panigales.

xfactoraeg
xfactoraeg New Reader
9/22/10 11:44 a.m.

I like my Adidas Adiracers with the Goodyear sole, but I'd hardly pass as a racer. I have wide feet and these are narrow sole shoes, once they broke in they felt great.

sobe_death
sobe_death Reader
9/22/10 12:02 p.m.

These are what I use. They bring a whole new meaning to "heel-toe"

paanta
paanta New Reader
9/22/10 12:28 p.m.

Barefoot on long drives and anywhere else I can get away with it. No sweaty feet, no weird pressure points on my heel, great feel on the brake and clutch. Plus, I have long toes. I can heel-toe with my foot almost centered on the brake just by stretching out my littlest piggy.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/22/10 12:47 p.m.

I rock a pair of Oakley Race Shoes. They are pretty affordable and work really well. My only issue is that these shoes need to be narrow to fit in tight pedal boxes, but injuries and surgeries have made my feet kinda wide. Ouch.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xh0w2Em5xD1xQqwakPwtkYKs26V8OuiVah1Q8XkTNcukNGLvTvc8ZRTTtA84fmvL