1 2 3
vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/21/17 6:44 p.m.

I have yet to see any research showing the benefit to these. Maybe initially as most changes have some effect short term, but once on every car people will ignore with the rest of the items they're supposed to be paying attention to. Don't accept it. Tell them the sale is void unless removed. Or move on.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/17 7:21 p.m.

Except for motorcycles, I have never seen them. Personally, I would hate to be stuck behind somebody with a pulsing 3rd brake light. I know people who are prone to seizures and that sort of thing would set them off.

I would tell the dealer no thanks or no deal

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Dork
1/22/17 1:25 a.m.

I have seen some that only pulsed three times and then stayed full on. I thought that style of pulsing was highly effective as an attention getter without being obnoxious like a continuous pulsing would be. Or, you could tell everyone you have an F1 rain light installed

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
1/22/17 10:18 a.m.

In reply to WildScotsRacing:

It works exactly as you just described. Three flashes and then solid. Did some checking into this. More dealers are installing these. I've now seen four other brand new cars in my area with this feature (I'm paying attention to it now). Also, good lord there are a lot of crosstreks in my area. oops... did I just let that slip?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/17 10:36 a.m.

I spent a day on a drive in the company of a car with a flashing CHMSL. Every single time we came to a stop, my brain saw the flash and said "turn indicator! No, brake light!". For HOURS.

I came away with the impression that it was worse than useless, it was actively dangerous.

I would not accept a new car that had something like that hacked into the wiring by a flat rate mechanic, either. I'd be looking for an alternative vehicle or a significant discount. But that's just my reaction after having to remove alarms from cars. The attention to detail is not quite at what I'd consider an acceptable level.

Claff
Claff Reader
1/22/17 10:48 a.m.

I chased a buddy and his blinking stop light through the Cherohala Skyway and the Tail of the Dragon a few years ago. After a while I was all like ENOUGH ALREADY I GET IT.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
1/22/17 10:59 a.m.

In reply to Claff:

Sounds like it was working? After all, isn't this the point? Annoying, yes. Effective, yes.

Kieth, your brain is obviously wired for track driving. Lol.

I will be talking the dealer down or out of the price.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/17 11:11 a.m.
Claff wrote: I chased a buddy and his blinking stop light through the Cherohala Skyway and the Tail of the Dragon a few years ago. After a while I was all like ENOUGH ALREADY I GET IT.

It occurs to me that you should respond in kind by flashing your high beams every time he hit the brakes, as an acknowledgement that you saw his brake lights. That way he can be reassured that you know he is slowing down and are taking appropriate measures. All in the name of safety, of course.

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/22/17 11:27 a.m.
Knurled wrote:
Claff wrote: I chased a buddy and his blinking stop light through the Cherohala Skyway and the Tail of the Dragon a few years ago. After a while I was all like ENOUGH ALREADY I GET IT.
It occurs to me that you should respond in kind by flashing your high beams every time he hit the brakes, as an acknowledgement that you saw his brake lights. That way he can be reassured that you know he is slowing down and are taking appropriate measures. All in the name of safety, of course.

I had one of those on my VFR. For that exact reason, I installed it along with an on-off switch. It was great for solo riding as another tool against Idiot Cellphone Talker Mom killing you at a light, but would probably drive other riders crazy on group rides.

I can't really see the point of having one in a car, though. It already has at least three brake lights.

hhaase
hhaase Reader
1/22/17 11:31 a.m.

I'd walk away at that point, for a couple reasons.

1. They're trying to hose you, pure and simple. It's a kit that takes a half hour to install.

2. Never again, if I can avoid it, will I permit dealer installed aftermarket electronics. I've yet to see an aftermarket alarm, entertainment system, remote start, lights, or anything electronic that was installed well. FACTORY kits, which just plug in, are a different story. If they already installed an aftermarket kit for this? Chances are it's crap, overpriced, and badly installed.

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie HalfDork
1/22/17 11:51 a.m.

I'd walk on principle. Absolutely BS. There are plenty of car dealers out there, find one that isn't out to screw you.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
1/22/17 1:20 p.m.

In reply to Knurled: I've done that when the driver apparently was using the brake pedal as a foot rest.

pjbgravely
pjbgravely Reader
1/22/17 5:44 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Not only are pulsating third brake lights illegal, they also increase the chances of somebody rear ending you in a rage by 700%. Print off the law and then go to another dealer after you've properly humiliated them.

It doesn't seem to be against the law in NY. I have been pulled over a few times with one.

One thing it has done is stopped all my cars from getting rear-ended because I stop at red lights and stop signs. If you buy a good one you can program it for anything. I use the 3 and steady on because I watch for cars coming too fast and get off and on the brake pedal so they flash again.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/17 5:45 p.m.

In reply to pjbgravely:

It's illegal in the OP's state (Oregon).

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
1/22/17 6:12 p.m.

My GTI has anti theft etching on the windows because I wasn't firm enough with the dealer. I absolutely regret it, and every time I wash the car I'm reminded of my mistake.

You should totally walk if they insist on you paying for that.

As as aside, the BCM in the GTI supports turning on the 4 way hazard lights if you exceed a certain brake pressure and decelerate more than x mph.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/22/17 8:20 p.m.

I am of the opinion you can't have enough brake lights. To the point where I have a pair under the bumper of my disco. They are LED trailer lights in a custom housing that slips into the hitch receiver and uses the trailer wiring plug. VERY bright and the right height to get errant driver's attention. Disco brake lights are at head height and not everyone notices them

wae
wae Dork
1/22/17 8:26 p.m.
red_stapler wrote: My GTI has anti theft etching on the windows because I wasn't firm enough with the dealer. I absolutely regret it, and every time I wash the car I'm reminded of my mistake. You should totally walk if they insist on you paying for that. As as aside, the BCM in the GTI supports turning on the 4 way hazard lights if you exceed a certain brake pressure and decelerate more than x mph.

According to the latest The Grand Tour, Fiats do that too. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but my inclination is to like the idea.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
1/22/17 10:40 p.m.
wae wrote:
red_stapler wrote: My GTI has anti theft etching on the windows because I wasn't firm enough with the dealer. I absolutely regret it, and every time I wash the car I'm reminded of my mistake. You should totally walk if they insist on you paying for that. As as aside, the BCM in the GTI supports turning on the 4 way hazard lights if you exceed a certain brake pressure and decelerate more than x mph.
According to the latest The Grand Tour, Fiats do that too. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but my inclination is to like the idea.

I saw that too. The Alfa also flashed its hazards under hard braking? Weird.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/23/17 7:04 a.m.

The guy at the dealership flat-out lied to you. Shocking, I know. You can get the fanciest 3rd brake light flasher systems out there for under $50 and installing them is usually a very easy electrical mod. They're not legally required anywhere on Earth, and may be technically illegal in some places (that have laws about flashing red lights on non-emergency vehicles).

Edit: Also I used to run a nonstop 3rd brake light flasher but had to change from it to run an LED 3rd brake light bulb, to get some brightness back from the effects of a rusty reflector inside...I've never had anyone complain about it but after seeing the comments in here, I don't think I'll put one back on.

Edit2: Even though that Mini unit is exactly what would do the job and isn't too expensive...hmm maybe I should piss some people off to keep the text-n'-drivers out of my trunk?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/23/17 10:57 a.m.
Trackmouse wrote:
wae wrote:

A lot of European cars do it, I think Mercedes might have bee the first. It's a logical and simple feature in a modern car. If you're on the interstate and have to nail the brakes, it's good to warn the guy behind you that E36 M3 is going down and you're not just brushing the pedal.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/23/17 1:18 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
Trackmouse wrote:
wae wrote:
A lot of European cars do it, I think Mercedes might have bee the first. It's a logical and simple feature in a modern car. If you're on the interstate and have to nail the brakes, it's good to warn the guy behind you that E36 M3 is going down and you're not just brushing the pedal.

The panic-stop hazard-flash is required on EU sold vehicles, and has been for a number of years. We can't do it here because our dumb laws state your red stop light can also be your turn signal, whereas over there the turn indicator has to be a separate (and usually amber) light.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/23/17 1:19 p.m.

^Turn signals have to be amber in the EU. AFAIK only the US and Canada allow red indicators.

Driven5
Driven5 Dork
1/23/17 2:08 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: ^Turn signals have to be amber in the EU.

...The way God intended.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
1/23/17 3:31 p.m.

I want to thank everyone that contributed. They are not installing the pulse brake system now. I think I'll take the misses out for a night with all that money I just saved.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/23/17 4:47 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: ^Turn signals have to be amber in the EU. AFAIK only the US and Canada allow red indicators.

Because the Big 3 petitioned the DOT to allow red-only turn signals because they could save a couple cents a car. Best regulations you can buy!

Now we have to have 3rd brake lights to distinguish a turn signal from a brake light when you can't see both sides of the rear. Somehow I don't think they thought their cunning plan all the way through.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Hf7pypI9biTzxl93gUEtytREwqfxck3BQpudlNxaHGfCUIP40ei9V3xALvdyyyN5