1 2
DeadFocused
DeadFocused New Reader
7/29/14 12:18 p.m.

I'm looking to get a K&N air filter for my 2008 Honda Civic 1.8L and was wondering if there was anywhere that I could get it cheaper than $45. That's about the cheapest I've found. Are there any alternatives that will do the same job for less?

Also, I need a new cabin filter and was wondering if the $4 filter on RockAuto is as good as a $15 OEM filter.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/29/14 12:29 p.m.

You can poke some holes in your stock air filter, that will give similar filtering performance.

A cabin air filter is a cabin air filter. Doubt there is any difference.

Will
Will SuperDork
7/29/14 12:29 p.m.

When I was in your position, I ordered a Summit Racing-brand filter for my Camaro; it was $10 cheaper than the K&N. Once I got it, it was obvious that it was a K&N filter in a different box. Even came with the "K&N equipped" sticker you're supposed to use so Jiffy Lube-type places don't throw it away.

DeadFocused
DeadFocused New Reader
7/29/14 1:05 p.m.
bgkast wrote: You can poke some holes in your stock air filter, that will give similar filtering performance. A cabin air filter is a cabin air filter. Doubt there is any difference.

I always thought that the cotton filters would give a small improvement in airflow. Mostly I want it for the long term price savings, increased filtering, and reusability

bgkast
7/29/14 1:08 p.m.

They do flow better, but at the expense of filtering efficiency. I personally don't like them for this reason.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
7/29/14 1:13 p.m.

Why not go for the K&N Cabin Air Filter too? Adds 3 HP, I hear.

DeadFocused
DeadFocused New Reader
7/29/14 1:14 p.m.

Really? That doesn't seem quite right. Do you have an article or test results to show that? I don't mean to sound rude, but every cotton filter lists 99%+ filtering efficiency

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
7/29/14 1:31 p.m.

you're obviously new around here … after a while you'll figure out all you need to know about Dr Hess

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
7/29/14 1:34 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Why not go for the K&N Cabin Air Filter too? Adds 3 HP, I hear.

Wheel HP or crank? Mustang or Dynojet?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
7/29/14 1:37 p.m.

I believe that article in Another Mag showed that the K&N Cabin Air Filter only adds 3HP to Honduhs, because the stock air filter is restrictive to reduce AC induction cabin noise. Toyotas, on the other hand, have a much more efficient Cabin Cold Air Intake system from the factory and thus don't see the 3HP gain from the K&N Cabin Air Filter. You do get the long term cost savings of a washable filter, though.

DeadFocused
DeadFocused New Reader
7/29/14 1:38 p.m.
wbjones wrote: you're obviously new around here … after a while you'll figure out all you need to know about Dr Hess

I should have quoted, but I was asking bgkast. I figured Dr. Hess was just trolling. Especially given his apparent dislike for Honda (just guessing based on his pic).

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
7/29/14 1:40 p.m.

Pretty sure it was Crank HP on a Dynojet, there Iggy.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/29/14 1:41 p.m.
DeadFocused wrote: Really? That doesn't seem quite right. Do you have an article or test results to show that? I don't mean to sound rude, but every cotton filter lists 99%+ filtering efficiency

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

Basically, there's no free lunch. K&N filters do flow better, but they also don't filter as well. Which makes sense when you think about it. Plus, any gain they give is pretty minimal anyhow. I stopped using them on street-driven cars about 5 years ago. On a track car I don't see a problem with them, though.

mrwillie
mrwillie Dork
7/29/14 1:44 p.m.

bgkast is correct( atleast according to all of the independent studies that Ive seen ). Everything has a trade-off..........

Here's one "study": http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

and another... http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=489976

and.... http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

bgkast
7/29/14 2:01 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler and mrwillie:

Thanks for tracking those down.

DeadFocused
DeadFocused New Reader
7/29/14 2:23 p.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler and mrwillie:

Thank you both for the links. All very good reads.

This is very disappointing though. I would've like to save a few bucks in the long haul and do that little bit for the environment as well

mrwillie
mrwillie Dork
7/30/14 7:45 a.m.

In reply to DeadFocused:

To be honest, I still have atleast one in my shed that I dont use anymore. Like you, I bought them b/c I was trying to save money over the long haul. Now, not seeing huge mpg increases and the ability to find cheaper air filter plus the need to keep my cars as long as possible, Ive decided to find other ways to save money.

Check out www.fuelly.com and this site to gain more info on how to improve "the nut behind the wheel". Thats where alot of the savings start.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Reader
7/30/14 8:10 a.m.

For what it's worth. Not all K&N type filters will be an improvement. I've found that on certain vehicles they can actually restict airflow quite badly (2000 Dodge Caravan). It was a very small filter and I suspect more area was needed. On bigger things though (5.4 Fords for instance with their huge filter size) things seemed better.

I was under the impression that the air filter oil made up for the lower threshold of particle size by making the filter "sticky".

Leafy
Leafy Reader
7/30/14 8:19 a.m.

It depends on the car. Its well known that putting in a $4 paper filter into a stock miata every 3 months will result in slightly more power than a clean K&N. K&N shows improvements on dirty paper filters though.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/30/14 8:35 a.m.

Gotta be careful about how much you oil them, too. Too much can foul the wire on mass airflow sensors.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy SuperDork
7/30/14 11:39 a.m.

I just ordered one - 33-2002 - $44 shipped.

In my case I ordered it because of increased, yet still "clean" air flow. My situation is different than most though... my car has seem 11k miles in 4 years... The filter is still the original I put in there.

Oh... in my engines situation the air filter/housing/plumbing cost my engine 6 whp

145 w/o and 139 with

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/30/14 1:08 p.m.

Too bad I didn't see this thread in time, I would've told you to get an AEM Dryflow filter, maybe with the pre-filter bag. Doesn't need oil and washes with soap & water.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
7/30/14 1:14 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: Gotta be careful about how much you oil them, too. Too much can foul the wire on mass airflow sensors.

It doesn't take much. I was working on a project that used oiled air filters. As delivered, with about 6 months of development, there was enough oil on the maf wire to cause problems.

Not a big fan of the K&N's realistically.

DeadFocused
DeadFocused New Reader
7/30/14 2:09 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Too bad I didn't see this thread in time, I would've told you to get an AEM Dryflow filter, maybe with the pre-filter bag. Doesn't need oil and washes with soap & water.

I saw the AEM filters and thought they looked good, but the Civie's my daily so I need her in the best condition for the longest possible time. And I am hoping to get started AutoX'ing within the next year. Plus I don't think they do pre-filter wraps on flat panel filters

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
7/30/14 3:46 p.m.

There's a reason its called the "K&N cowcatcher".

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xjwrE8833Rfoscc6rxA98FGw2LRdJIQuMSeYiMLqaKyDce5biLouCmzL0BCIGHtr