Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
10/30/20 7:13 p.m.

I'm considering one of these for endurance racing.  I find myself with a Civic chassis that might need to go out to pasture as it is no longer square in any plane, but a really healthy Honda K series driveline with everything sorted and wiring setup that could easily me moved to something else.  The MR2-S has my attention as it is transverse, small, lightweight, shares a wheel bolt patter with the glut of wheels I already have, and has some knowledge base for K swaps.  The fact that the stock engines do have some tendency to blow certainly helps.  

My question has to do with room for a fuel cell.  Yes, the stock tank is in an ideal location, but is too small for longer endurance racing stints with a higher power motor.  In the frunk, if you take out all the plastic, and potentially even cut away some not that important structure, how much room is there really?  We current have an ATL 122B fuel cell (22 gal) that I would love to use if there is room.  Dimensions are 25.13 in. wide x 16.75 in depth x 13.75 in tall.  Would that fit? If no, what are the measurements of a box that would fit in that area? 

Thanks!

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/30/20 7:18 p.m.

In reply to Sonic :

Here are some pictures I took of the spyder cart at the challenge.  They might help..

I have a 2zz swapped spyder and it rips.  One with a health k20 would be crazy.

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
10/31/20 8:59 a.m.

Thanks, it looks promising! Hopefully someone can break out a tape measure for me. 

Vigo (Forum Supporter)
Vigo (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/1/20 8:17 a.m.

I have a spyder. Never done anything to it yet except push its broken ass to two different locations on my property.  Anyway, i think if you include the area directly behind the seats you will find plenty of room for a very large fuel cell, with its weight fairly ideally located. Depending on rules stuff you might have to build a firewall, and if you're going to cage it you definitely want to think both things out at the same time so you're not double-booked in that space. 

Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/1/20 8:56 a.m.

I think vigo is on the right track. Behind seats with fabricated firewall. Or k swap spyder is so fast it wont matter that you have to pit frequently? A powerful spyder is a Weapon. They're so light that they're fuel efficient too. My 250whp one gets 28 average with me driving it like its world time attack. 

Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
11/1/20 8:58 a.m.

Another idea is to have a smaller supplementary fuel cell in the frunk and keep the oem one. Even if you had to transfer pump the front one back to the rear when the guage got low/light cones on?

old_
old_ HalfDork
11/1/20 3:07 p.m.

Ask over at Spyderchat

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JfAyU1DpCU7bpGSl8QGHOjStREi8BzL9tNdMv4RQj7WwL2DCOW1Pnc7OFsNX1rK4