noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/13/12 9:24 a.m.

anyone have anything good or bad to say cheap clutches for my 1986 VW GTi?

It's just a weekend car. And pretty much stock...

Flogger00
Flogger00 New Reader
1/13/12 9:53 a.m.

The OEM Sachs clutches are already pretty cheap. I wouldn't want to go any cheaper. Oh, and even new flywheel bolts are well worth their low price, too, IMHO.

carzan
carzan HalfDork
1/13/12 9:57 a.m.

My experiences with cheap VW clutches (not limited to just VWs) is that the springs get weak quickly and they start to slip WAY sooner than good quality ones.

motomoron
motomoron HalfDork
1/13/12 11:52 a.m.

What's your time worth to R&R a transaxle on a Golf vs. the difference in cost between a good clutch and a cheap one?

Then again - I do flywheel bolts, rear main seal, trans input shaft seal?CV seals and oil pan gaskets while I'm in on general principle - I'm alive exactly once, and hate to waste time going back in later to fix something I had open once already.

BTW - I just noticed your avatar photo! Aurora AFX armature?

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
1/13/12 12:19 p.m.

i second the recommendation on Sachs

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/13/12 4:09 p.m.
carzan wrote: My experiences with cheap VW clutches (not limited to just VWs) is that the springs get weak quickly and they start to slip WAY sooner than good quality ones.

Interesting... I had the clutch replaced a number of years ago and after about 1 year it started to slip... So I guess I don't want to go too cheap... lol

motomoron said: BTW - I just noticed your avatar photo! Aurora AFX armature?

Close enough. Actually it's a modern Johnny Lightning/Auto World copy of the Aurora arm that is available in the Johnny Lightning/Auto World copies of the Aurora Thunderjet and AF/X slotcars... (whew... Did that even make sense?)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HKNQnOMUdN5ZOH858DO04keT2PUQoMCw3uWwxWsfOFqitKpXzt8G9yRIy60hfobq