GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/10/16 6:37 a.m.

My Samurai's in a shop today to get the various corroded coolant fittings that are causing seepage fixed up or lopped off and replaced. I was thinking, right now I have a loopback hose going between the two fittings on the engine that would go to the heater and heater valve. I've seen some G13 variants where there are no fittings in those places but the engine is otherwise similar.

Can these fittings be plugged instead of looped? Doing so, if I'm correct that the heater lines fork off of the main coolant inlets and outlets on the engine, should increase coolant flow through the passages in the engine, improving cooling power, which I could definitely use.

Gotta call the shop in half an hour, so I need to decide soon.

rslifkin
rslifkin HalfDork
6/10/16 6:50 a.m.

It depends. If there is another bypass of some form to allow flow when the t-stat is closed, it should be fine to plug the heater lines. If there isn't and the heater circuit is the only bypass, I'd keep it looped so there's still some flow when the t-stat isn't open.

GameboyRMH
6/10/16 7:11 a.m.

It looks like there is another route, called the guy and told him to see if blocking off the heater hose would be a good idea and to let me know.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
6/10/16 11:28 a.m.

I'm pretty sure that anything with a flow control valve in the loop you can just cap off.

rslifkin
rslifkin HalfDork
6/10/16 11:34 a.m.
BrokenYugo wrote: I'm pretty sure that anything with a flow control valve in the loop you can just cap off.

Agreed, provided the valve just closes the circuit and doesn't provide a bypass.

GameboyRMH
6/10/16 2:25 p.m.

Update: Radiator guy thought it was good to plug, and plugged it.

Also said he found a short in the fan wiring and fixed it...I hope it was a real short and not a misunderstanding of how the wiring was done, which I admit is a big pile of hacks built on an already questionable system.

GameboyRMH
6/13/16 8:07 a.m.

Another update: Plugging the heater lines seems to have helped quite a bit, even with the garbage coolant the shop put in there (somebody forgot about the coolant I left in the car). 5 stars, would plug again.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
6/13/16 9:07 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: 5 stars, would plug again.

thats how i ended up with my wife

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xh2Y7G06t7jzyDGPT1Odklsnr8xf5q3hgtRsoVmDUjQAKELFi4VjMu2ulBFiulgH