AxeHealey
AxeHealey GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/28/23 9:41 a.m.

Two things. 

First.

There's a guy on marketplace selling what he says are a lightly used set of Raceland coilovers for an R56. According to him, the only difference between a setup for an R50 and R56 is the top mount. Does anyone on here know whether or not this guy is right? The price is right and I'd think they're better quality than the $300 Maxpeedingrods I have in mind.

Second.

The pic he gives in the add of the stats on the Raceland website states front spring rates are 155 lbs and rear are 215 lbs. I know stiffening up the rear with a big sway bar makes a Mini handle great but what gives with those rates? Or is that totally normal?

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Dork
2/28/23 11:06 a.m.

Can't help with the fitment, but those spring rates seem really soft? That's basically stock sport package BMW E30 in the front, which is similar weight, a lot more suspension travel, and also a strut design.

AxeHealey
2/28/23 1:05 p.m.

In reply to gearheadE30 :

Thanks for the comment. I hadn't even thought about whether the springs were stiff enough, just that the rear was so much more than the front seemed strange to me. 

I think we're probably just going to go with the cheapo off-the-shelf option. Seems better than the potential retro-fit headaches. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
2/28/23 1:23 p.m.

The rear spring sits well forward of the wheel center line, effectively reducing the spring rate due to the lever action of the trailing arm.

Those rates still look odd. Here's a link to  some higher end stuff with the rates listed....2002-2006 Mini Cooper R50/R53 Coilovers - Springrates.com

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/28/23 1:27 p.m.

Rear springs are mounted partway along a trailing arm, so there is a significant motion ratio involved.

Front springs seem pretty sporty rate wise if true.  Most strut cars of its weight are in the 100-120lb range.

Two other things to consider, the front springs' motion ratio is a lot different from most strut vehicles because of the angle of the units - there is very little steering axis inclination in a Mini.  For reference, an R53's strut tops sit four inches further apart than a Subaru GC/GD.

The other thing is that the cars had remarkably large stabilizer bars, something not normally seen in an E30 smiley

AxeHealey
3/1/23 9:05 a.m.

Thanks for that, guys. It does make me think twice about the cheapo ones. They have the spring rates listed as 336lbs front and rear. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/1/23 9:51 a.m.

That makes sense to me.  There is very little front suspension travel.

Rear spring rates mean little IMO if the car is cornering on three wheels already smiley

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5uYDtwZTu6trv8u9fKerCINfybrWGfBndJa1W44S2qaWfva9huh98ze0r0XycJKh