1 2
Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
11/25/13 10:36 a.m.

In reply to Aspen:

It's the radiator support panel (MFE) that goes into 'service mode', but I know what you mean. It's been some time since I played with it, but I think the A/C compressor is bolted to the lower section of the motor and maybe the oil pan as well. The FSM likely suggests service mode to make that removal easier. Putting the MFE into service mode isn't hard, but does take time. If the compressor can be unbolted without doing that, then a significant amount of time could be saved.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
11/25/13 10:58 a.m.

That's exactly what's happening. Because you're already popping the serpentine off (and it's probably greasy as E36 M3 and should be replaced anyhow) the compressor is already ready to be unbolted and moved. There are two bolts that are hiding behind it that cannot be accessed without removal. The two OFFICIAL methods involve moving the MFE, or removing the compressor and properly venting the R134 and all that crap. SMRT guys unbolt the compressor, ziptie that E36 M3 out of the way with the lines still intact and do work. I'm beginning to learn the ways. Having a BMW buddy with a lift has been a gift. He likes beer and Morcheeba (the group). it's not a bad thing.

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
11/25/13 2:07 p.m.

The noise that quickly and unexpectedly came up in my R53 last week ended up being a rod, which I later found in the oil pan. It was about an hour on the lift to get the pan off (and find the rod at the bottom). The bumper and support has to come off, the MFE moved forward, the serpentine belt removed, the A/C compressor unbolted. Then the pan comes off very easily.

Needless to say, I won't be putting the pan back on as the whole engine is now coming out. But I'd estimate just R&Ring the pan is about a 2-3 hour job if you haven't done it a bunch of times.

--Carl

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
11/25/13 2:18 p.m.

Yeah, I'm a little worried about how much metal I'll find in the pan. I apparently need a pressure sensor, as well, wife tells me light is on and no one is home.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
11/25/13 4:59 p.m.

APPARENTLY, things have taken a turn for the worse. Friend listened to it today, thinks it's rod bearings. Thank the gods I hoard cars- I had the wife back on the road in 20min. Had to put tabs on the Prism! I knew putting the starter in it out of spite was a good idea. Anyone know where I can get a cheap engine? I suspect the worst, so I'm counting on needing a complete head and block.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/25/13 9:53 p.m.

There's a bunch of things that can sound like rod bearings on the MINI. Pull that oil pan and look. Could be the balancer or water pump,etc.

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
11/26/13 8:17 a.m.

Yeah, we're gonna do that when I get a chance. I'm actually LESS concerned now that it's actually broken. She said it was losing power and threw a CEL and an oil light as she was getting home. Entirely possible the oil pump has failed, like you said. Only one way to know for sure.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qNbq1ClH5dBreE2tmlaegdoO5gMEo5OIBlxfiG3lpxJrIEJioIhJcUUsXSniS6XS