1 2 3
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/19/22 4:58 p.m.

As my teenage kids get older I have more time for things that I like, first and foremost racing.  I've gotten into a rhythm where I'm racing around once a month from March to October, and I'm basically a one man team- dealing with the logistics, the car and the driving.  I'm currently working out of an 8.5x20 cargo trailer and a newer F-250, and generally stay in hotels for the weekend.  I like the idea of camping in the paddock but I need to sleep in a real bed and have air conditioning, at a minimum.

One option is to upgrade my trailer for a real race trailer with some basic living amenities; A/C, fold out bed, etc.  Another option is to get a slide-in camper for the truck and keep the existing cargo trailer.  Either option seems feasible with my existing truck, which can handle 3300lb of payload/tongue weight.  The race car only weighs around 1350lb; figure another 1,000lb of wheels, tools and various stuff.

Anyone have experience with this that led them one way or the other?  In favor of the nicer trailer would be less gear/logistics to deal with before and after the race, and not having to deal with real camper maintenance.  In favor of the camper would be not having to sleep and eat in my racing filth, and possibly less buy-in cost.  Also the possibility of using the camper as an actual camper for weekend trips with my wife that don't involve racing.

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
7/19/22 6:07 p.m.

I've seen that slide in truck campers are disproportionately more expensive, so keep that in mind. 
'Course they do seem to be well liked by their owners, so they do seem to hold value well. 
Since I have renovated / modified a few campers - and that's much more involved than J. Q. Public thinks - I would build living quarters into a car hauler

Car / equipment trailers with living quarters (again, tend to be more expensive when bought) are made much better than campers turned into "toy haulers"

But as to the better way, I ain't sure! Sorry.  

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/19/22 6:28 p.m.

Fold out beds with memory foam or air mattress in the existing trailer with a roof ac unit.

I fantasize about doing this.  Currently dealing with an open trailer.

However, I fhave found that most tracks have fairly cheap air bnb near or on water that you could pay for with the cost of the upgrade for quite some time!

I am at the age where I would rather spend less time at the track and more time enjoying the company and relaxing at a legit house.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/22 7:16 p.m.

I had a truck camper but the lack of a head and shower was a deal breaker. Track restrooms get nasty. 

I ended up going with a  motorhome and haven't regretted it. It tows very well and carries everything needed for a weekend at the track. It was sub $5k and worth every penny.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
7/19/22 7:53 p.m.
Toyman! said:

I had a truck camper but the lack of a head and shower was a deal breaker. Track restrooms get nasty. 

I ended up going with a  motorhome and haven't regretted it. It tows very well and carries everything needed for a weekend at the track. It was sub $5k and worth every penny.

I'd second the motor home I grew up going to race tracks in a motor home 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
7/19/22 7:57 p.m.

Really depends on your space requirements and tolerance for BS.

For me?  Track bathrooms are fine, portajohns and outside showers are no worries.  Just hose me down Tommy Boy style if needed.  

Air conditioning at a track would be a must, most paddocks dont have much in the way of shade.   I would probably get a slightly oversized car hauler that would have enough room to put a counter at the front with a fridge, a few aux batteries and a good inverter when you dont have power, 

Door beds are available to buy aftermarket, a few of these would really open up the space.  If I did these I would do awnings on both sides of the trailer to provide more shade, and probably do two door beds on the same side of the trailer, opposite the curb-side door.

You may have to change the door latches on your car hauler so you cant be locked inside.

Car haulers have crap for insulation so plan on that and losing some space as well due to the interior sheeting.

https://www.recpro.com/door-bed-pop-out-trailer-bed-towable-tent/

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/19/22 8:06 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

Fold out beds with memory foam or air mattress in the existing trailer with a roof ac unit.

I fantasize about doing this.  Currently dealing with an open trailer.

However, I fhave found that most tracks have fairly cheap air bnb near or on water that you could pay for with the cost of the upgrade for quite some time!

I am at the age where I would rather spend less time at the track and more time enjoying the company and relaxing at a legit house.

You and I are very different.   Even when I'm in a Nice room  I miss the track.  Helping others in their late night flail to get back on the track. 
 Shooting the bull with Racers and corner workers.  Checking  out others nice touches and updates. Vintage racing isn't  about getting faster it's about doing it better. 
   Showing off how they removed modern and replace  with vintage while going just as fast.  

Cactus
Cactus HalfDork
7/19/22 8:12 p.m.

My trailer is a 28'er with a generator and roof AC. No living quarters, but It's pretty decent for sleeping. Throw down an outdoor rug in the middle and that goes a long way for livability. I used to blow up a queen air mattress in the middle, but I've since upgraded to hammocks or a really nice reclining cot. Air mattresses are trouble. Sure they look nice and inviting, but they bounce and I've gone to sleep a foot up and woken up on the floor more times than I can remember. I'd 100% recommend a real mattress instead. Or a nice cot. Not a cheapy, but a decent one that doesn't feel cramped.

I don't have any bathroom provisions, but I don't mind the showers at Nelson Ledges, so most track bathrooms are a luxury in comparison.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
7/19/22 9:06 p.m.

I'm using a camper van; it has a toilet and shower. For one or two people it's fine.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
7/19/22 9:10 p.m.

I use a truck camper and think it's a pretty perfect system. Here's more details:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/2001-ford-f-250/project-f-250-buying-and-restoring-slide-camper-ou/

sevenracer
sevenracer HalfDork
7/19/22 9:54 p.m.

I added lights and outlets to my 8.5X24 cargo trailer plus a few fold down shelves to hold food items and laptop, etc.. I sleep on an air mattress and have one of those portable AC units to bring along if it's hot out. Works great for me, but I don't mind using the track restrooms and showers. Getting power at the track isn't guaranteed though. I bought a HF generator, but I haven't bothered bringing it to the track in years - I make do with a battery operated fan and lights if I can't get power.

Having a slide in to deal with seems like a lot of extra hassle to me - storing it, maintaining it, loading it and unloading it, reduced gas mileage, etc.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/19/22 10:13 p.m.
Cactus said:

My trailer is a 28'er with a generator and roof AC. No living quarters, but It's pretty decent for sleeping. Throw down an outdoor rug in the middle and that goes a long way for livability. I used to blow up a queen air mattress in the middle, but I've since upgraded to hammocks or a really nice reclining cot. Air mattresses are trouble. Sure they look nice and inviting, but they bounce and I've gone to sleep a foot up and woken up on the floor more times than I can remember. I'd 100% recommend a real mattress instead. Or a nice cot. Not a cheapy, but a decent one that doesn't feel cramped.

I don't have any bathroom provisions, but I don't mind the showers at Nelson Ledges, so most track bathrooms are a luxury in comparison.

Have you tried the bathroom facilities at Elkhart Lake.  They are very decent.  

7/19/22 11:19 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

I use a truck camper and think it's a pretty perfect system. Here's more details:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/project-cars/2001-ford-f-250/project-f-250-buying-and-restoring-slide-camper-ou/

Your excellent articles on the truck camper are what got me thinking in this direction. If I head down this road I'll try to set the budget so I don't get one that's rotted out. It would have to be stored outdoors though, which makes me nervous. 

jh36
jh36 Dork
7/19/22 11:31 p.m.

We have two rigs...

Rig 1 is an FC 35 Wanderlodge bus/rv and an open trailer. 

Rig 2 is an f350 and a 20' Enclosed trailer with ac. 

Rig 1 is comfy and sleeps 6. With kitchen/bath/hangout space. 

Rig 2 is faster, slightly cheaper to run and less stressful for prep. 

I think a great cot with ac in an enclosed trailer is great for the weekend if it's just the guys. With my wife, ladies, grandchildren...the bus is king. 

Either way, I'm 100% with staying in the paddock. Staying at the track beats a hotel and commute for me. I like the after hours comradeship  and the pre-dawn coffee gatherings. And if you need to do a few things to the car, less stress. 

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/20/22 7:14 a.m.

This isn't my set up, it's a friend. He hails his Camaro in this for track days and then uses it with the family for regular camping. It is a Work And Play. It's built like a car hauler but has a queen bed, bathroom and kitchen in the front. The back has a queen bed that goes up in the ceiling and two couches. It fits a full size car but has all the luxuries of a camper. It's built really well and he has pulled it up and down the east coast. It is heavy and he upgraded to a dually to pull it. I have always thought it was the best of all worlds. 

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/20/22 7:45 a.m.
jh36 said:

I think a great cot with ac in an enclosed trailer is great for the weekend if it's just the guys. With my wife, ladies, grandchildren...the bus is king. 

You must have better luck than I do, but the inside of my enclosed trailer smells the same as the inside of my transmission. Even I can't handle it. cool

jh36
jh36 Dork
7/20/22 8:04 a.m.

In reply to Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) :

Mine is fairly stink free and I try to kitty litter up as we go. That said, I like the smells of the car so it may not jump out at me. 

7/20/22 8:08 a.m.
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) said:
jh36 said:

You must have better luck than I do, but the inside of my enclosed trailer smells the same as the inside of my transmission. Even I can't handle it. cool

Yes, exactly. My trailer is also usually full of clag and sand/grass within 10 minutes of arriving at the track, no matter how thorough I am about sweeping/blowing it out. And I have an open top sport racer, so if there's any weather I prefer to keep the car on the trailer. 

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/20/22 8:09 a.m.

I'm old enough now that having a bathroom close by is important. Stumbling across the paddock at 3 am to go pee sucks. 

Add to that, the mattress in my RV is the same mattress I sleep on at home so I just sleep better in it than I do on a cot, air mattress, or in a hotel. 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
7/20/22 8:23 a.m.

If you load the 1,000 lbs of tools etc into the back of the truck, putting a camper in there would mean it all needs to go in the trailer.  And in a way to keep proper tongue weight. 

butnifnyoure already putting it in the trailer, that's not a consideration. 

inwould think you could add the things you want to the trailer cheaper and easier than getting a good camper. 

plus the camper will require it's own set of maintenance and repairs. 

but it would probably be more comfortable.....

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/20/22 8:26 a.m.
jh36 said:

Mine is fairly stink free and I try to kitty litter up as we go. That said, I like the smells of the car so it may not jump out at me. 

I may try and bottle some of this smell and ship it to you to give you some perspective. It's not a happy smell laugh

jh36
jh36 Dork
7/20/22 8:28 a.m.

Deliver it in person at NJMP later this year. We can compare our levels of immunity to smells. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/20/22 9:28 a.m.
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) said:
jh36 said:

I may try and bottle some of this smell and ship it to you to give you some perspective. It's not a happy smell laugh

Royal purple synchromesh is the nastiest smell I think I have ever smelled.  Like gear oil and bo mixed together.

That's what I imagine you are dealing with.  Haha.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/20/22 9:33 a.m.

For that size of truck, getting a slide in with a wet bath is very possible. 

As for the winter, there are covers, just like car covers.  Add a good tarp over that, and it should be good over the off season. 

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/20/22 9:39 a.m.

I've been camping in a buddies trailer for the past 15 months at almost every Gridlife event I've been at.

He bought the trailer with beds made from 2x4's that fold down from the walls and have supporting legs once folded down. The trailer has a large roof mounted AC unit, but he does have to brace the roof during transits because the unit is too heavy for the roof. IMHO, you could solve that by doing a mini split install on the front of the trailer.

I would look at upgrading the trailer you have to have those amenities... rather than buying one.. but that's just me.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mTtrKYaKem289Dk4wPe03hLLvNBdhbiql2sJKZd66ZFP8vrWCAuU6ts0muw8q1aW