Racebrick
Racebrick Reader
1/27/23 7:46 a.m.

Come along on a journey with me, as I leave dark and early from O'Hare airport to Nashville TN. 

Living in Chicagoland can be tough for a motoring enthusiast.  One is almost always better off flying south when buying a car, at least when buying the cars I like.  This trip is special though, since this car is not for me but for my daughter.  I would have brought her along to help for the adventure, but it didn't work out this time. 

.....and the flight just got delayed.  Ok now taking off at 8:00 am central. So I guess I will get to the car about 11:30am local time. I'll post some pics then.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/27/23 8:09 a.m.

Fun stuff. Let the make/model guessing begin!

With Volvo in your screen name, is it a Volvo C30?

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
1/27/23 8:17 a.m.

850 Turbo?

fusion66
fusion66 Reader
1/27/23 8:18 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

With the tag "Honda", I am going to guess Honda Fit (the answer when the Answer isn't the answer)

Racebrick
Racebrick Reader
1/27/23 8:19 a.m.

It's actually a Civic hatch.  Don't ask me why a 16 year old girl wants a 5spd Civic, but she does. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/27/23 8:23 a.m.

In reply to Racebrick :

Could it be to attract the boys who want a Civic hatch? devil

Great on the manual...none of her friends (or possible boyfriends) will likely be able to drive or subsiquently wreck it for her. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/27/23 8:30 a.m.

Everyone wants a 5spd Civic Hatch

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/27/23 10:10 a.m.

Nice!

Racebrick
Racebrick Reader
1/27/23 10:59 a.m.

I am now in an Uber headed to meet the seller.  I should arrive to the car by 10:30.  It is 3°f here, which is 20 degrees colder than home. Go figure.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/27/23 11:05 a.m.
Racebrick said:

I am now in an Uber headed to meet the seller.  I should arrive to the car by 10:30.  It is 3°f here, which is 20 degrees colder than home. Go figure.

3 Deg F in Nashville? Is that Nashville, AK?

Good luck on the drive home!

Racebrick
Racebrick Reader
1/27/23 11:20 a.m.
Slippery said:
Racebrick said:

3 Deg F in Nashville? Is that Nashville, AK?

Good luck on the drive home!

My fault. That's 3°c.

Racebrick
Racebrick Reader
1/27/23 12:07 p.m.

The car is pretty much what I expected. Rough around the edges, but good for a 23 year old Honda.  After a brief negotiation I bought it. A quick stop at "big Charlie's" for fuel, and I'm out.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UberDork
1/27/23 12:11 p.m.

Congrats on the EK!!

Though I am through and through EF and have never bought a modded like car like that, thats a cool ride your kid got. 

Have a safe drive home.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/27/23 12:33 p.m.

You say rough around the edges but the wheel well edges seem to all be there...unlike the northern versions!

Is it lowered, on fatter tires?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/27/23 12:44 p.m.

....uhm.... how are you going to get an LS1 into THAT!

I do like the car though.  The last of the small sporty CIVICS in my mind.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/27/23 12:46 p.m.

Such a great design, still after so many years. It looks even better with those wheels and ride height! 

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/27/23 12:49 p.m.

Looks great! Be safe.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
1/27/23 1:56 p.m.
Racebrick said:

It's actually a Civic hatch.  Don't ask me why a 16 year old girl wants a 5spd Civic, but she does. 

When my 16 year old was ready we looked at a Civic Si but the wife say no to manuals so she has a basic Civic.

She's 20 years old and reminds me a lot that we didn't get that Si........

Racebrick
Racebrick Reader
1/27/23 3:01 p.m.

Driving impressions so far.  The car seems in good order. I am stopped in Paducah KY for lunch. The car has aftermarket wheels, and probably suspension. Still has the stock am/fm only.

When I hit a dip, the car does not seem to like it.  It seems to load up in compression and spring out of a dip like there is not enough damping, but cruising is ok.

Racebrick
Racebrick Reader
1/27/23 3:03 p.m.

Always comforting when the car is full of random hardware...

jimgood
jimgood Reader
1/27/23 3:07 p.m.

Racebrick
Racebrick Reader
1/27/23 8:52 p.m.

Rest of the drive was without incident, I just got home. Looking forward to diving in to this turd tomorrow.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/28/23 10:56 a.m.

Car looks great!

Not sure nowadays, but 15-20 years ago that car would last all of a second down here before it was stolen. 

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
1/28/23 11:23 a.m.

Nice score. I always thought the EK looked better than the EG. This coming from a former EG and two time Fit owner..

XLR99 (Forum Supporter)
XLR99 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/28/23 3:26 p.m.

Nice, your daughter has good taste in cars!  Bummer that she couldn't make the trip with you, I did a fly & drive with mine to get a crappy car for myself a couple years ago and we had a good time.   Looking forward to the rest of the thread.

I had a crappy EK coupe with autobox that I used as a disposable  commuter. I ended up selling it when my daughter was 16 because the driveway was full and she had zero interest in driving. She got all mad after I sold it.  It worked out in the end, she ended up with a 2011 Civic with a 5spd.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tY9hUzjuExzdNDXs3GrlYC9frmOz87nomS1ihJVNQ3BPaqejACXsM3nDcZF9CWh0