GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/28/13 9:56 a.m.

Something like this should be DIYable:

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2013/03/corvette-racer-radar/

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/28/13 9:58 a.m.

I was really cool to watch that during the race.

yamaha
yamaha UltraDork
3/28/13 10:04 a.m.

In reply to Rusted_Busted_Spit:

Indeed it was........I doubt it would be DIYable without a decent sum of money.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/28/13 10:26 a.m.

It's definitely doable for under $1k, which is going to be a drop in the bucket compared to the OTS system for sure...

Hal
Hal Dork
3/28/13 10:31 a.m.

You could probably do at least part of it with the adaptive cruise control stuff that is on new cars. It might not show you closing speed, etc. but would at least let yolu know there was someone back there and how close they were.

yamaha
yamaha UltraDork
3/28/13 10:51 a.m.

Just putting three camera's back there for panoramic view would be better.......seeing is most of the battle, the radar ranging is kinda just extra on top of that.

They said during the Sebring race it was for LeMans as they weren't allowed to use spotters there.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
3/29/13 5:24 a.m.

Hmmmm....sounds like a pile of junkyard back up cameras and a bunch of small screens in the cockpit....those donk guys are big on installing a bajillion screens in cars, so I bet their forums would list cheap ones to use.....

if you could get junkyard radar sensors from cars with adaptive cruise control, you could probably have them send a signal to an audible alarm....

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
3/29/13 5:49 a.m.

It was one screen, a little bigger than the one on my laptop. I watched the in car from the #4 Vette for the last 2 hours of the 12hrs. Looked like it worked pretty well.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/29/13 6:47 a.m.

I saw that in the corvette as well. The TV coverage focused on that for a time and showed it in action. The only thing I would want to add to it would be to flash some sort of warning light or lights on the dash at the base of the windshield. If you could use some sort of series of LEDs for each side of the car that would go from green to red as a car approached on that side.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
l3FmpzL5uHKm3OTI5MRb4pcyV2ck17pVw6Eej3q6j4eEU79Luh0A1KAnRNqOaxKR