Will
Will UltraDork
5/26/18 3:43 p.m.

Today I found a great deal at the junkyard on a dual-core radiator for my F150. Unfortunately, I just tested it and discovered one of the plastic end tanks is cracked. Is it worth trying to repair, or would that be doomed to failure?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/26/18 4:37 p.m.

If you already have it, try JB Weld.

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
5/26/18 5:23 p.m.

Yea Uh No, once upon a time....... you could buy new end tanks, they pretty much quit that, the aluminum core could be rebuilt several .times so no money was too be made.

they expand and contract a lot it's plastic!, so most cement type sealers get hard and crack away from the plastic . there is probably something that works, maybe a seal on the inside like a tire seal . easy to remove the tool looks like a church key type beer can opener/ tip; cut off the pointy end. bend back when done tap down tight.

Will
Will UltraDork
5/26/18 6:18 p.m.

My concern with any kind of epoxy is that it won't be able to handle the heat cycling. 

I'm curious about plastic welding, as in this video. Anyone ever try it? Have any luck with it?

daeman
daeman Dork
5/26/18 6:32 p.m.

Usually once a tank cracks, the plastic is done. Unless it's accident damage, the hot/top tank fails first 99% of the Time because they become brittle. 

You can try some of the local radiator repair places and see if they can get a tank and gasket, but it'll probably work out no cheaper than a new radiator. I'd only go that option if was a hard to get radiator and the core is genuine/oem and in good condition

mrwillie
mrwillie Dork
5/26/18 6:49 p.m.

My accord had leaky plastic tanks. JB Weld would work for awhile, but would eventually start to leak again. There are epoxies that I've seen online that can be used to repair plastics. There should be a stamp on the plastic part of the radiator. This tells you what type of material the end caps are made of. Match the type of plastic with the correct epoxy  and you should be golden. I blew a head gasket before I got a chance to fix mine, but someone on this board gave me the idea about the epoxy. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/26/18 8:13 p.m.

I have never successfully repaired one. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
5/26/18 9:14 p.m.

It is scrap.  It cracked because it's old and heat cycled out.

Will
Will UltraDork
5/27/18 7:03 a.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

It is scrap.  It cracked because it's old and heat cycled out.

Yeah...this is probably the right answer, even though it's not the answer I wanted. 

I got excited because I found a semi-rare, useful part for peanuts. But I still have the receipt, and I got the warranty, so returning it is the smart play.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/28/18 5:56 a.m.

It would negate your savings, but you could get aluminum end tanks fabricated and welded on. Then the radiator would last decades.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TTpWfGmxCKOOXfS3bRfYGXnXrresCjYqXb50guU0VGFBUkQyublYzDOhsrrxia3K