donalson
donalson PowerDork
7/16/12 11:47 p.m.

getting closer to finishing the swap on the truck (volvo 2.3 into an s10) and I've been about what radiator to toss in... my original plans where to go with the volvo unit, it's more then adequate for my power goals... but it also involves using the volvo pressurized overflow tank and building more brackets... I like the simplicity of a generic overflow tank and an normal radiator cap to boot, heights look good for me not to have to worry about a bleed screw for air pockets using the stock s10 radiator so thats no worry.

also the volvo unit has less frontal area... (indicated by sq/in) but a little is also a little thicker vs the 2.5L chebby... as I understand it frontal area is going to do much more for cooling than additional debth will

the hose locations line up "close enough" and are in the right places on all of em...

I'm leaning towards using the 2.5 chevy for starters as I have all the bits from the car already... I'll be adding an electric fan, and if the 2.5 ends up being inadequate I'd move to the much larger 4.3L s10 radiator

I'm not planning on water cooling the turbo, oil, or tans fluid so those won't be an additional heat load either...

2.5 chevy Radiator Core Size : 23 5/8" x 15" x 1" 354 sq/in
Radiator Inlet Connector Size : 1 5/16" Radiator Outlet Connector Size : 1 5/16"

4.3L chevy Radiator Core Size : 26 1/4" x 16 1/4" x 1 1/4" 426 sq/in
Radiator Inlet Connector Size : 1 5/16" Radiator Outlet Connector Size : 1 9/16"

Volvo Radiator Core Size : 17 3/4" x 16 3/8" x 1 1/4" 290 sq/in
Radiator Inlet Connector Size : 1 1/4" Radiator Outlet Connector Size : 1 1/4"

so am I missing something? am I wrong in my thinking?

what say you oh wize GRM guys?

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Reader
7/17/12 1:15 a.m.

4.3 radiator and never worry about an inadequate cooling system.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Reader
7/17/12 8:20 a.m.

I would go with the 4.3 radiator as well. You can always block off part of it in winter if the engine runs too cool.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
emcM2zZ6FSTDA7dmBBGa5gBedvhNp85p59CYPl5kXcwLWvSoyo6hTJf3qVqHeuy7