David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/30/15 9:28 a.m.

Group B rally cars are the stuff of legend: fire-spitting, gravelthrowing machines from the likes of Audi, Peugeot, Lancia and Renault. The tacked-on box flares just added to their coolness factor.

These machines defined the ’80s–until the FIA pulled the plug on their class after the 1986 season. The reason? Just too fast– and deadly–for their own good.

The Group …

Read the rest of the story

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
7/30/15 11:02 a.m.

I'd pay good money to launch that car on dirt, even just a straight line burst, just to see how slow my rallykar really is..

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
7/30/15 11:06 a.m.

Oh, to have Group B back.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
7/30/15 2:25 p.m.

Now these were RALLY cars

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/30/15 2:44 p.m.

you know there is the modern equivalent of near Group B level cars competing in North America now in GRC. Sure the "racing" and courses may leave a bit to be desired, but the machinery is proper mind bending stuff.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
7/30/15 3:09 p.m.

is GRC the Red Bull series?

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/30/15 4:16 p.m.

it is.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
7/30/15 5:08 p.m.

I once rode in a Lancia Delta Integrale HF in the United States in 2004 or 2005. It was an ex dipolmats car that somehow someone made legal to drive in one of "Those" states...

I'd give my left arm (cause my right arm is needed to shift) for that car...

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
7/30/15 6:47 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: Oh, to have Group B back.

Ask and ye shall receive!

http://www.fia.com/news/new-regulations-coming-2017-world-rally-car

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Reader
7/30/15 11:48 p.m.

I don't understand why it's been so long for a revival. I realize that cars back then were TOO powerful to control, but the tech we have now should more an suffice to harness such power. Bring back the tiny MR hatchback cranking 700hp.

Storz
Storz Dork
7/31/15 7:29 a.m.

Yes please

David S. Wallens
8/1/15 11:53 a.m.

By the way, we shot the Lane MG Metro at the Mitty. Never know what will be in the infield. (And yes, the car did take a few laps through the gravel lot.)

David S. Wallens
8/1/15 11:54 a.m.

And glad you guys enjoyed the piece. It was a fun article to do.

850Combat
850Combat Reader
2/19/16 9:30 a.m.

Some times some Group B cars show up at the Portland ABFM. I've seen an RS200 for sure. I don't remember precisely which others. A collector from Vancouver brings them I'm told. I would like to see the street RS200

Jaynen
Jaynen UltraDork
4/14/18 10:27 a.m.

That car is incredibly sexy

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
4/14/18 2:13 p.m.

In reply to Jaynen :

You uh.... come out from under a rock? Two year old thread man. 

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
4/15/18 9:48 p.m.

In reply to Trackmouse :

And reposted Friday the 13th...of 2018.

teamilluminata
teamilluminata HalfDork
4/16/18 9:53 a.m.

Love these and love Group B. ......

..........so much that I am building a Quattro Group B replica. It's the nearest I'll get to the real thing again so.........

https://classicmotorsports.com/forum/classic-cars/audi-ur-quattro-rally-build/121927/page1/

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/29/22 5:32 p.m.

Had a Car and Driver annual from back in the day.  1987 I think.  They called the Group B MG the 'Angriest Atomic Powered Pitbull'.  For some reason that always stuck with me.  Probably C. Van Tunes's words.  He was pretty good writer.

edit: it might have been Motor Trend.  Gosh that was long time ago.  They also said the 930 sounded like 'an angry sewing machine at full chat'.  Chat?  What language is this?  I got it though.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/30/22 9:07 a.m.

My dad and I did the Rally for the Lane a number of years ago.  We got to wander the basement before dinner and I saw that car tucked away.  I asked one of the employees if I could go back and take a look at it, man it is cool.  I should dig up those pictures.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/31/22 12:24 p.m.

In reply to Aaron_King :

Please do, we'd love to see them.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DUAYKvlMsimQJuCyb4e0BbbyGKIsJHOu0pDAvXVO77b3sI4k8z4G9tQNPDf47j0j