93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/17/12 1:03 p.m.

What kind of shocks are used for rallying? I have seen shocks for them but the applications for them seem limited and I haven't seen anything like the selection for Koni road racing dampers. So who makes rally shocks?

sachilles
sachilles Dork
1/17/12 1:06 p.m.

DMS is one of the more popular ones.

important traits are durability, durability, durability. Tend to run softer than a tarmac oriented setup. Longer travel when appropriate.

fritzsch
fritzsch Reader
1/17/12 1:09 p.m.

Often stock shocks are suitable from what ive heard. But of course usage is going to dictate your choice. I thikn bill caswell used oem shocks on his bmw. You might look at king and fox shocks, i know they are used extensively on the SAE Baja cars. But that application is more offroad than rally.

cghstang
cghstang HalfDork
1/17/12 1:14 p.m.

$tage Rally or Rallycross (cone squishing- not wheel-to-wheel)?

For dedicated gravel/tarmac stage rally setups there are DMS, HotBits, Reiger, ProFlex, Ohlins, Tein, and others. None of the good ones are cheap.

Custom struts housings and setups are made by a few individuals/companies using Bilstein internals.

Most cone squishing rallycross setups use stock or typical "street" aftermarket dampers.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
1/17/12 1:27 p.m.

More information needed, rallyx or stage rally being the biggest.

After that, budget. Stage rally suspension is fairly special (and has a limited market); longer strokes, big thick rods (50mm typically), different damping characteristics. This causes everything to be expensive.

K-sports are the cheapest rally specific struts you can get for $1500 (rally specific being in the vague meaning they are better than your typical strut you can buy). You can find lots of varying information on them, but what I can tell you is that a fellow competitor ran them at a very hotly contested regional and came 4th overall. Are they bad? Dunno.

After that, there are some custom solutions utilizing Bilstein inserts from a dude named JVL or allwheelsdriven.net for around $2500. Then Hotbits around $3200. I believe entry level non-adjustable RS&SP's are around the $3000 to $3500 range. Then you get into DMS at ~$5k, double adjustable RS&SP's at around $6500, Reigers, EXE-TC, Ohlins etc at $10k plus prices.

More information can be found at places like specialstage.com, rallyanarchy.com, dirtyimpreza.com.

NGTD
NGTD Dork
1/17/12 3:26 p.m.

Stock shocks will not hold up to true rallying. HiTempguy covered the rally scene well.

Rally-X - stock can be very effective - sometimes a little more spring can help, but compliant suspensions can help get the power down. Upgraded strut mounts, if available, seem to help from a durability perspective.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/17/12 6:47 p.m.

At one point several years ago Bilstein HD's were the acceptable entry-level A2 VW choice, though it seemed like 1-event was an average lifespan, IIRC.

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
1/17/12 9:28 p.m.

Stay away from KYB "heavy duty" "Rally" shocks. When we blew up the old GAB's we put a pair of those in the back of the car and turned them into "garbage" in less than 15 stage miles. The car has DMS/Bilstein customs setups in it now, cost around a couple k and are holding up just fine...

HappyAndy
HappyAndy HalfDork
1/18/12 5:58 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic: What kind of car are you planning to go rallying in? Does it need shocks at all 4 corners or struts/shocks? Is it something that's been successfully campaigned before, if so you should look into how that car was built.

I noticed that some of the previous posts were mentioning pricey competition grade shocks, I'm sure that would be completely unnecessary for solo rally-x, and probably unnecessary for an entry level stage rally car. I know that a lot of people using SAAB c900s for rallying use Bilstien HDs, which is an be rebuilt and revalved.

OTOH my advice may only be worth what you're paying for it, I have no actual rally experience, but I did grow up hooning old cars and pickup trucks through the woods and farm fields of southern NJ. One of these days I will find the time to go rally-x, I think it will suit me.

NGTD
NGTD Dork
1/18/12 7:49 p.m.

For full stage rally you can use things like HD's but by the time you are done replacing them all, you will wish that you used one of the ones that HiTempguy listed.

Or you will learn to slow down in the really rough E36 M3.

modernbeat
modernbeat Dork
1/18/12 9:06 p.m.

Nobody mentioned JVAB. Also Bilstein are re-releasing their 50mm rally inserts and a DIY strut kit.

spnx
spnx New Reader
1/18/12 9:58 p.m.

My buddy uses Hotbits.

I wish they were on the car when I was co-driving for him.

http://www.hotbits.ca/

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/19/12 7:33 a.m.

I am not really looking for a car right now just curious.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
1/19/12 10:25 a.m.
modernbeat wrote: Nobody mentioned JVAB. Also Bilstein are re-releasing their 50mm rally inserts and a DIY strut kit.
HiTempguy wrote: After that, there are some custom solutions utilizing Bilstein inserts from a dude named JVL

I noticed that some of the previous posts were mentioning pricey competition grade shocks, I'm sure that would be completely unnecessary for solo rally-x, and probably unnecessary for an entry level stage rally car. I know that a lot of people using SAAB c900s for rallying use Bilstien HDs, which is an be rebuilt and revalved.

I keep arguing with people about this. YES, if it is keeping you from getting out on stage, run stock struts/shocks. BUT, unless you have 8 spares of each just lying around, you WILL be replacing them every rally. At that point, $1500 for K-Sports (which ARE a legitimate entry level rally strut, you just need to replace the springs with much softer ones) start to become a real bargain when you are replacing $400 worth of struts every rally. K-sport inserts are $160 to replace broken stuff, it really isn't a bad deal.

We are racing. When somebody races, I suggest to them the bare minimum to compete. I've saw K-Sports finish 4th overall in a regional on a STi, and the dude was fast (I don't say many people are fast).

Love the jellybean, very underrated rally car. Everyone loves sentras, and the jellybean is just as good IMO!

Edit- And this is from a completely stage perspective. Rallyx? Run stock stuff IMO.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/19/12 11:26 a.m.

K-sports are rebranded D2s and a friend of mine got a regional class 1st on those (on a Mitsu Colt).

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
1/19/12 11:30 a.m.

Can you get the KSports/D2s to go high enough to give sufficient travel/clearance?

I've never personally messed with a set that didn't have a hell of a time getting UP to stock height.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/19/12 11:50 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Can you get the KSports/D2s to go high enough to give sufficient travel/clearance? I've never personally messed with a set that didn't have a hell of a time getting UP to stock height.

I guess the ground clearance depends on the car. I'd go check the thread space on my 'rolla running D2 RSes but it's in the shop for super serial bodywork.

Here's a pic of the friend's Colt:

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltraDork
2/6/13 11:22 a.m.
HappyAndy wrote: I noticed that some of the previous posts were mentioning pricey competition grade shocks, I'm sure that would be completely unnecessary for solo rally-x, and probably unnecessary for an entry level stage rally car. I know that a lot of people using SAAB c900s for rallying use Bilstien HDs, which is an be rebuilt and revalved.

Back from the dead on this one, missed it when it was current.

I think that one of the reasons that the 900 can use Bilstein HD's is becasue it has seperate shocks, not struts. Struts for rally really need to be physicaly beefy as they take the side load of the suspension which is massive in rally, hence 50mm shafts. The C900 has double wishbone front and dead beam at the rear so the shocks only have to handle the shcok loads, no lateral loads.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/6/13 2:07 p.m.

Now that this is resurrected, the friend's car above blew the D2/Ksports, replacement Bilstein shock tubes were put in, did well in another season on those.

Aeromoto
Aeromoto HalfDork
2/6/13 4:29 p.m.

As far as rallyX, my 300ZX has won 3 SCCA rallyX points championships with the cheapest shocks/struts that RockAuto sells

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
2/6/13 5:13 p.m.

Just to put it in perspective, the RG318IS Cup series in Germany (which is basically a spec series that runs in long single-stage rallies), the cars are limited to Bilstein HD or Bilstein Sport. Talking to the guys there, while various e30 parts break driving as hard as they do, the shocks are not one of those things typically.

Depends on how hardcore you're driving, what your budget is, what the rally terrain looks like, and what car they're in, etc.....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
huFuaqFZvHlf5hk6eZY0Y5NGsDbegna1N5cjFL90AEe0AVWdlLWrV788X4QIFvqK