1 2 3
volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse SuperDork
10/22/15 11:30 a.m.

In reply to Ian F:

So...they came with a 7" round thing that you can install like a normal sealed beam lamp, and an H4 bulb...but no socket? This seems....odd.

The extra current thing would worry me. Most older cars have barely adequate switches that are now old and have corrosion on them. And old wires. A relay would be a must.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/22/15 1:08 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse:

Didn't come with a bulb or a socket. Just the reflector/lens assembly. Purchased it from some VW parts vendor a couple of years ago that was linked here in a thread. Now it's obvious why they were so much cheaper than I'd seen in other places.

Depends on the car. My 1800ES has a relay, so only control amps go through the light switch.

RedGT
RedGT New Reader
10/22/15 6:42 p.m.

In reply to Ian F:

Ah...yeah. I just got another set (the miatas are multiplying)...$70 shipped, includes 55w bulbs and sealing thingy. Not sure what you mean by socket but this setup is a drop in for a Miata, maverick and Nova that I have personally done fwiw. You can also get lower wattage or 6v h4 bulbs as needed. As you noted the vw guys love em and theres no way old bus wiring is that healthy.

The Alfa was wired like you describe...little 4" round lamps and all current going through the switch. It'd get kinda toasty with high beams on but there was also so much resistance in the system of that thing that headlights on meant the wipers were slow as molasses anyway so...drive only on sunny days.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/22/15 9:32 p.m.

In reply to RedGT:

Ok... I had to go upstairs and look at them again. Just no bulb and no plug. I'll install them after I rewire the cars.

volvoclearinghouse
10/23/15 5:23 a.m.

Found these on eBay, did a little poking around and folks seem to like them. Might try them the next time an old roundie craps out on me.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/23/15 8:28 a.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse:

Those look near identical to the ones I have, except mine are labeled "Bosch". I do want stronger lights on the two Triumphs, so I'll probably add relay harnesses over the winter and finally install these. Rewiring the cars is a more long-term project.

RedGT
RedGT New Reader
10/23/15 9:24 a.m.

Holy E36 M3, that's a deal. Am I cheap enough to pay to return my set for a net savings of $15?

Powar
Powar UltraDork
10/23/15 10:43 a.m.

I used a set of those AutoPals (rectangles, however) in my last EXP. I was very impressed with the quality and the price.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/23/15 10:52 a.m.

Are those high/low beam?

volvoclearinghouse
10/23/15 11:21 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: Are those high/low beam?

There's different bulbs, but yes, the H4 has two settings, three prongs, just like the old sealed beamers. My main concerns (since I've never tried one) would be light dispersion characteristics and, of course, durability. While sealed beam lights could stand to be brighter (heck, I've driven around in my W123 with the high beams on accidentally and never once gotten flashed at by oncoming drivers) I like the sort of natural light dispersion, with gradual feathering around the edges. A lot of the modern lights on newer cars have sharp edges to the viewing range, which I dislike.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6aHEY1GBBaFhtV0NdNS78iE3EfJ4Xkc86mcBuHozTV7nEQKWKzzVNOaG7ccZQelz