alex
alex UberDork
4/26/14 10:04 a.m.

I'd like to pick up a pair of ramps today, while I have momentum to fix a few nagging fleet issues I've been ignoring for a while. What's my best bet to find decent ones at one of the box stores? I've got all the usual suspects around me.

My definition of "decent ones" are those that won't slide on my garage floor and push into my toolbox, and those that won't collapse when I'm under that car. High standards, I know.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
4/26/14 10:30 a.m.

Rhino Ramps are pretty good. Advance always has good coupons. They're plastic, strong, light, and won't mar any floor. Have a rubber piece at the front so they don't slide (much).

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 HalfDork
4/26/14 10:34 a.m.

I've been mostly pleased with the Rhino Ramps I got a few years ago. My only other experience are some stamped steel ramps my dad had that were scary sketchy. If our Jetta, what I bought them for, were any lower than it came from the factory I wouldn't be able to use the Rhino Ramps though, something to consider.

• Lee
pjbgravely
pjbgravely New Reader
4/26/14 10:42 a.m.

Look for ones with extensions. I had to build extensions to make ramps work on my cars. I looked at the plastic ramps at Advanced but they didn't seem to have a different ramp angle than the metal ones. I used 2X8s with metal pins to hold them on the ramp.

evildky
evildky Dork
4/26/14 12:05 p.m.

Race ramps

eastpark
eastpark Reader
4/26/14 1:12 p.m.

I've had good luck with Rino Ramps as well.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
4/26/14 3:09 p.m.

I have a set that my dad had that is two platforms with detachable ramps. I saw them recently somewhere and meant to go back for another set but it completely slipped my mind.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
4/26/14 3:13 p.m.

I hate hate hate the stamped steel ones. They are heavy and always find a way to scratch the paint on the car or the skin on my shin.

And they are heavy and awkward and they slide around. Did I mention how much I hate them?

Rufledt
Rufledt SuperDork
4/26/14 4:29 p.m.
Basil Exposition wrote: I hate hate hate the stamped steel ones. They are heavy and always find a way to scratch the paint on the car or the skin on my shin. And they are heavy and awkward and they slide around. Did I mention how much I hate them?

Plus if you put them on blacktop with a heavy enough car they can sink right in.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/26/14 4:45 p.m.

I have Rhino Ramps, but they do slide on smooth concrete occasionally.

jimbbski
jimbbski HalfDork
4/26/14 4:53 p.m.

I have a pair of those molded plastic ramps and they do sometimes slide when I try to drive a car up them. Mostly when I try to back a FWD car on them. I fixed this by going out and buying about 5 ft of a rubber carpet runner that has a felt like covering so it looks like a very short mappy carpet. It came wide enough that I cut it length wise and had enough for 2 5X1 ft pieces. Just place the ramps on top and no slippage.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/26/14 4:56 p.m.

^That's a good idea.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
4/26/14 5:32 p.m.

I don't know if you can do this with the Rhino or plastic ramps, but with the steel ones you can cut a slot near the edge of the beginning of the ramp and insert a longish piece of carpet and fold it back on itself. You then drive the car onto the folded carpet and up the ramp so you don't push the ramp around.

Of course, that's if you are unlucky enough to own steel ramps. Which I hate.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/26/14 5:46 p.m.

+1 on the Rhino Ramps advice. I'll have to try the carpet trick.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
4/26/14 5:48 p.m.
Basil Exposition wrote: I hate hate hate the stamped steel ones. They are heavy and always find a way to scratch the paint on the car or the skin on my shin. And they are heavy and awkward and they slide around. Did I mention how much I hate them?

Somebody gave me a set of stamped steel ramps years ago. For free. I got a raw deal. I gave them away. I suspect they've had many, many owners by now.

bigev007
bigev007 New Reader
4/26/14 7:56 p.m.

I just made some out of some 2x8's I had around. They seem pretty good. Can make the angle as shallow or deep as you want and as high or low as you want, and miter cut the edges to smooth out the angle. I haven't had an issue with them sliding, but if I did I would probably just nail some old carpet or that shelf liner stuff to them. And I can make front and back tire stops to fit whatever tire I want.

I trust them a lot more than the stamped steel cheap ones.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/26/14 8:21 p.m.

Oh, and the heavier duty Rhino Ramps accept wider tires than the standard one. You want the HD version.

pirate
pirate Reader
4/27/14 11:55 a.m.

Race Ramps are certainly not cheap but I think are worth the money. They are really great if you have a car that is low. Their web site (http://www.raceramps.com/) has a drawing that allows you use a yardstick and tape measure to see if your car can be driven (in catalog) up the ramps. The shallow angle also seems easier to drive up on versus some ols steel ramps I have used in the past.

Their two piece ramps allow you to remove the rear angled portion of the ramp to give more room for working. They are also pretty light and the two piece ramps easier to store. They usually have some coupon for money off, chocks, mat, etc. rather you buy them direct or from someone else. I have the two piece 56" ramps and found Amazon the cheapest with free shipping

Kramer
Kramer Dork
4/27/14 12:04 p.m.

In the bed of my pickup, I keep a semi-truck mud flap. They're pretty inexpensive at truck stops and HD part stores. In addition to keeping my old-fashion steel ramps from sliding (put the mud flap under the ramp before using) I also use it to keep heavy things from sliding around in the bed of my truck.

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing New Reader
4/28/14 5:49 p.m.

Well, I have just become the unlucky owner of a paper of used metal stamp ones. The neighbor is moving and left some by the curb. Have some nice skid marks on them.

But I've been wanting a set of ramps to supplement the sets of stands.

Will put some traction tapeon them, and maybe try the carpet under them trick. Also drill a hole and put a rope through do that the tires ride on top and hold the ramp.

Very timely discussion.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZRVqPy74Hu9cCYNXfwjzliiSjCZtWh0i8yiTBIiZ4OkZsf2jdYJP0ZxG2PrNokdp