1 2
Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
12/4/20 2:36 p.m.

Looking out the door at work on a break, I see my 2019 Crosstrek with its mismatched/unequal wipers.  The 2013 Abarth has the same thing.  I see a Jeep Cherokee my bosses own across the lot, been sitting and trying to rust away for probably a year, circa early 2000s maybe and regular matched wipers.

When did it become popular to have a really long and a fairly short wiper?  And why?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
12/4/20 2:39 p.m.

Since they put big windshields in stuff.  They work better because the big one sweeps most of the glass, and the little one gets the bit left over on the right hand side.

Measure a windshield in a modern sleek automobile,  Its way closer to square than you might think.

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
12/4/20 2:43 p.m.

Depending on the shape of the windshield, sometimes mismatched lengths and/or funky arms with a non-linear sweep can provide better coverage. 

My Jeep had matching wiper sizes from the factory, but I put on larger ones within the limit of what won't run off the edge of the glass.  That ended up with a 1 inch difference side to side, I think.  BMW has a small difference as well, plus a weird sweep on one arm.  The Jeep has decent wiper coverage, but nothing special.  The BMW has excellent coverage, as do a lot of other new cars I've seen (with the funky sweep to reach further into the passenger top corner of the glass). 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
12/4/20 3:28 p.m.

I know some cars had different length wipers at least back as far as the 1980s and possibly earlier than that.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/4/20 3:34 p.m.

yep, big and square windshields need a big driver side blade, and the rest can be handled be a weeny little one.  Or rather, it HAS to be a weeny little one, to be able to fit next to the driver side blade when the wipers are parked.  Honda Fits are an excellent example of this, the passenger arm is like three feet long and has a tiny little blade, to clear the driver blade that is about twice as long.

There are also Federal standards for swept area, which is why some LBCs had three wiper blades.

Teh RX-7 takes 16s on both sides, but I usually run an 18 on the driver side.  And then a 13 on the passenger side, because the wiper motor doesn't have enough oomph to pull the wipers back down over a certain speed unless the wiper area is reduced.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/4/20 5:40 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

yep, big and square windshields need a big driver side blade, and the rest can be handled be a weeny little one.  Or rather, it HAS to be a weeny little one, to be able to fit next to the driver side blade when the wipers are parked.  Honda Fits are an excellent example of this, the passenger arm is like three feet long and has a tiny little blade, to clear the driver blade that is about twice as long.

Came to say this.. my '08 Fit has the massive disparity..

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
12/4/20 5:53 p.m.

Can't have mismatched blades if there's only one.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/4/20 5:54 p.m.
buzzboy said:

I tripped out the first time i turned the wipes on our old W201

Pete. (l33t FS)
12/4/20 7:13 p.m.
m4ff3w said:
buzzboy said:

The highest view count video on my YouTube channel.

It's a monowiper that extends out to the corners and retracts on the sides and in the middle.

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
12/4/20 7:50 p.m.

I just changed the blades on my '13 F150 and was surprised that both were the same size. Of course, they are 21" each...

I was wondering as I was reading this what vehicles in the US came with a single blade. It's got to be a short list. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
12/4/20 7:53 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) :

Besides Mercedes, the first generation Impulse was a single wiper.

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
12/4/20 8:27 p.m.

I have the mechanism from our parted out W210. I pray that I can do something with it.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
12/4/20 9:51 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
m4ff3w said:
buzzboy said:

It's a monowiper that extends out to the corners and retracts on the sides and in the middle.

When I saw that years ago, I thought, "How berkeleying German can you possibly get?"

mad_machine (Forum Supporter)
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/4/20 11:37 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
m4ff3w said:
buzzboy said:

When I saw that years ago, I thought, "How berkeleying German can you possibly get?"

Engineering for the sake of engineering.

Pete. (l33t FS)
12/5/20 4:24 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

None.  None more German.

It does not dissuade me from the idea of a lowered W202 cornering on three wheels as I schuss my way around the hilly curvy back roads on the way to work.

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/5/20 7:26 a.m.

Bought new blades for the GTI from Canadian Tire.  Went with their premium house brand.  Discovered that the big blade had the correct mounting hardware.  The little blade didn’t.  Grrr.    I sometimes wonder if it isn’t just a random crapshoot about what connectors are included in the house brands . . .

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
12/5/20 7:47 a.m.

When I worked for Advance Auto Parts we still installed wipers, and I swear I never installed a pair when it WASN'T raining. At the time most of them came with extra adapters instead of being one part number per car. We kept leftover adapters in a shoebox for the oddball stuff we ran into. 

maybe the house brand wipers have a giant box of leftover adapters and they just grab one and stick it on the wiper as it goes down the line. 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
12/5/20 8:45 a.m.

If you wanna see crazy, may I present Dodge Viper wipers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3WK0hU0SFM

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/5/20 9:05 a.m.

Mercedes was SOOOO proud of their "monoblade" system. I remember w124 brochures when I was a kid bragging about how they covered 85% of the screen whereas regular wipers covered 80% (or whatever number was) LOL

I've owned a bunch of w201 and w124 cars. In real life, the wiper doesn't move fast enough to deal with really heavy rain. But it works well enough most of the time. 

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
12/5/20 10:55 a.m.

The driver's side wiper is twice the size as the passenger wiper on my Fit. It was the same as on my Versa Note.

fanfoy
fanfoy SuperDork
12/5/20 11:47 a.m.
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) said:
Streetwiseguy said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
m4ff3w said:
buzzboy said:

Engineering for the sake of engineering.

Yup. 

Ask a German engineer to design a hammer and it will have three moving parts and an electric motor that somehow leaks oil and that has to be re-programmed everytime you change the AA batteries. 

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
12/5/20 1:10 p.m.
93gsxturbo said:

If you wanna see crazy, may I present Dodge Viper wipers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3WK0hU0SFM

This one is called... "Viper Wiper"

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/5/20 1:15 p.m.

My TSX was 19" on the passenger side and 26" on the driver side. 

vwfreek
vwfreek Reader
12/5/20 8:57 p.m.
Jerry said:

When did it become popular to have a really long and a fairly short wiper?  And why?

Probably about the same time parts stores quit selling wiper blade refills.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/5/20 11:49 p.m.

Not sure which years but some first gen Sciroccos had a single wiper. I converted my Rabbit Gti to single wiper. Was a popular conversion. Might do the same to my 87 Scirocco.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Kwfapa94xt00ob4Gi2oJ5kVqNiorpk4gNUHbZReRvqHJAB2mZywMh4CjVmp30oZb