RossD MegaDork
6/5/18 12:01 p.m.

I was doing a bit of research on something and stumbled upon this:

http://www.zetecinside.com/xr2/rpi_project2.shtml

Looks like a good resource.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/5/18 12:07 p.m.

IMHO, if you are going to make that system, you might as well add some accelerometers- X, Y, X as well as pitch, yaw, and roll.  You can get both of those on one chip each, and something like a R-Pi can import that at the same time.

There are some really good models out there that can use the GPS and the accelerometer data together to stitch together super accurate data.

(Oddly enough, I'm trying to get an old microprocessor kit that I was going to make a similar set up quite a few years ago, with 20hz GPS and the other data recording, plus some other analog channels for my race car project.  Woulda, coulda, shoudla been a neat project)

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/5/18 2:55 p.m.

My iPhone can do that using an app (TrackAddict) and a OBD2 Dongle (ELM327 wifi) and capture video at the same time:

That said, its pretty cool to use a Pi, especially for a hardwired solution that you don't have to worry about damaging your expensive phone or work out to using the interface with driving gloves.  Accelerometers and other sensor or AtoD solutions can be added for data capture which is especially handy for non-OBD2 vehicles.

I'm building a Pi to be mounted in my 924 project to help monitor and log the MegaSquirt and I have a high resolution GPS to add to it and Accelerometers aren't hard to add either.  You'd likely want to run a Pi3 to have enough memory and processor power to manage all of that data capture without issue.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/5/18 5:38 p.m.

In reply to Stefan :

Even at 20hz, it’s not that much data. Probably less than a Gig for way over an hour of recording. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia New Reader
6/5/18 8:34 p.m.

could you hook up Temp sensors for oil  , water and cylinder head ?  

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/5/18 8:49 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

That would be part of the analog to digital input solution you’d have to implement on your own.

its been done in other projects, so it’s a matter of studying those solutions and implement them in the above project.

the biggest piece to watch for is the voltage range they work in and make sure your input solution can manage it, otherwise you’d have to convert the range to work.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/6/18 6:28 a.m.

In reply to Stefan :

temperature is pretty easy- their output voltage is related to the input voltage- so they will be ok for whatever a/d drives them to measure.  Driven sensors are the issue where you need to get the voltage ranges right.  For some reason, the sensors we use here at work are always 6V ones, so the typical 5V range doesn't work.  The only other voltage dependent thing is a/f, which is mostly V=lambda kind of output, or a nice linear 0-5v translation.

JBasham
JBasham HalfDork
6/6/18 10:51 a.m.

I wonder why zetech isn't using Dashware?  Would solve his track mapping problems.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
P9fA8PNp1DvkufjcfRBfqmLX4nOHNjqPDAvGyMZvBCCRTAjgLmaPVzz4hlA6whQR