Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/4/20 3:46 p.m.
feature_image

The Trabant became an icon of both East Germany and the Cold War and, at the very least, one of the most basic forms of transportation available in the history of the automobile.

Based on a 1:10 model made by model car maker Herpa, the Trabant nT (the nT stands for "newTrabi") was to be powered by a 47 kW electric motor with …

Read the rest of the story

It's almost too nice looking for me to buy it being a Trabant.

S'allright.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/4/20 6:36 p.m.

So more powerful AND a longer range than the original!

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
8/4/20 6:39 p.m.

Basic simplicity never sells well, and the population that lived with the originals are especially glad to be upwardly mobile, so no real nostalgia hook either. Too bad, as it is attractive, and with 2020 technology a 200 mile range would probably be doable. I like it a lot, but I am an outlier, my cars have the radios deleted.

It looks like someone bought a Chevy Nomad off Wish & this is what they received instead. 

fidelity101 (Forum Supporter)
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/4/20 8:35 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

So more powerful AND a longer range than the original!

2020 is a big year for the trabbys

mainlandboy
mainlandboy Reader
8/4/20 8:54 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

Basic simplicity never sells well, and the population that lived with the originals are especially glad to be upwardly mobile, so no real nostalgia hook either. 

Maybe, but the original Beetle and Mini sold well despite their simplicity, and there was definitely a nostalgia hook with the new Beetle and MINI when they came out.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
8/4/20 11:16 p.m.

In reply to mainlandboy :

Yes, but the original cars were marketed to the already upwardly mobile in a very large free market economy. Big change in mind set compared to the slaves of the GDR communist party.

volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter)
volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
8/5/20 5:43 a.m.

Rather see an e-GAZ

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
8/5/20 8:39 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) said:

Rather see an e-GAZ

Man that would rule.

Funny enough, there's a dude in an RCR fan facebook group with one. The compression in the engine is so stupid low he's made it a game to see what flammable crap he can run on it for kicks- I think everlear still worked.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/20 8:59 a.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

Rather see an e-GAZ

Man that would rule.

Funny enough, there's a dude in an RCR fan facebook group with one. The compression in the engine is so stupid low he's made it a game to see what flammable crap he can run on it for kicks- I think everlear still worked.

Everclear is E95, it should be fine. (It's expensive because it's potable ethanol, not denatured)

Also, that is a friggin' stunning car.  Looks reminiscient of a Loewy design.

volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter)
volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
8/5/20 9:03 a.m.

A friend of mine who came here from Russia often compares my Volvo 122 to an old Volga.  He claims they smell the same inside. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
8/5/20 9:49 a.m.

That's a GAZ-21 right? I'm trying to find it now.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
8/5/20 9:49 a.m.

Rather see an e-GAZ

I recall reading about the build of that car, it's very cool but there's very little left of it that's still a GAZ.

jerrysarcastic (Forum Supporter)
jerrysarcastic (Forum Supporter) New Reader
8/5/20 3:36 p.m.

What is it with electric car makers, where they have no idea how to do a proper "grille" now that there is no need for air flow like you would have for a traditional ICE.

To me the face of this new Trabby looks a bit like the underside of a stingray.  Is it just me?

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
8/6/20 7:45 a.m.

Inverters and electric motors still need some cooling - not as much as an internal combustion engine. But you could probably get enough air under the bumper.

It's not bad looking, but seems like bad brand management. "This is the car you are stuck with, Comrade!" while the guys on the other side of the Berlin Wall have Golf GTIs and E30 BMWs doesn't seem like a recipe for nostalgia. Some sort of hipster like-it-ironically, maybe, with extra irony points for the original being known for belching clouds of oily smoke and being way behind its Western counterparts in emissions control by the end of its production run.

Would it be made of Duroplast?

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
8/6/20 10:47 a.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

Oh yes. Duroplast for the environment....Not! Nasty resin there.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
8/6/20 10:11 p.m.

With how much of crash protection is in the frame and not the skin, a "green" duroplast that wouldn't get eaten by pigs could be a really cool.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gy9R7WEwBFnfXhIQl6EXOqYk9daiRShTQBRB0cVguUZWl6oNl6OkzqJW7qmSaDyh