Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
10/13/20 2:08 p.m.
feature_image

The FD2-chassis Civic Type R, sold exclusively in Japan, was the first—and potentially the only—time that the company based a Type R on a sedan instead of a hatchback. (Excluding the U.S., the rest of the world got the FN2-chassis Type R.)

As opposed to the 197 horsepower and 139 lb.-ft. of torque of the Si model we could buy here …

Read the rest of the story

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
10/13/20 3:26 p.m.

Would love to have that instead of my 11 sedan Si. 

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/13/20 4:00 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Would love to have that instead of my 11 sedan Si. 

There are a few other differences, but the reality is, your car is an oil pump, tune and cams away from being just as capable and virtually identical in the powertrain department..

the FD2 CTR had some other interesting bits with brake cooling ducts and flaps. but mechanically ... it's almost identical to the SI sold here.. The Acura CSX that shared the body hard parts with the FD2 CTR was built alongside our civic Si's in Canada.

SO don't lament, if you want to make your car into that kind of a screamer.. it's very doable..

and you can make a USDM SI just as powerful as the Mugen RR with that same recipie.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
10/13/20 4:27 p.m.

The RR is was of my favorite Honda's ever. I think 5th gear did a comparo between it and an S2000 and the thing screams. 

10/13/20 8:33 p.m.
DirtyBird222 said:

The RR is was of my favorite Honda's ever. I think 5th gear did a comparo between it and an S2000 and the thing screams. 

you mean THIS ONE? also i had no idea about this review before so thanks!

ScottyB
ScottyB Reader
10/15/20 8:19 a.m.
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) said:

There are a few other differences, but the reality is, your car is an oil pump, tune and cams away from being just as capable and virtually identical in the powertrain department..

pretty much.  you can make near-as-makes-no-difference to 240whp (approx a 60whp jump) with nothing more than a very mild cam, the type-s pump and bolt on breathing mods with a supporting tune and still have it be drivable and reliable.  on 91 pump, probably 10hp less.  the heads flow so well all you need to do is open the pipes and let it breathe.  its not cheap, but definitely easy.

what i loved so much about the RR is that to me, it truly looks and acts like having your very own BTCC car.  4 doors, insane engine, nimble and angry.  i dig the looks as well, for the most part.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/15/20 8:21 a.m.

Would drive. 

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
10/16/20 6:06 p.m.

Great. Thanks guy. Now I'm off to look for one of these FD models. 

If prices were comparable, would it be better to aim for the K24 model FB6?

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
10/16/20 6:47 p.m.
pheller said:

Stock for stock, I rather have the k20 in my Si than the k24 I had my in Tsx for 8 years. Actually I went backwards - sold my Tsx after 120k mikes and went to a k20. Absolutely love it. K24 feels like a 60 year old aarp menapausal woman compared to the 18 year old tight and  fun k20

ymmv

10/16/20 7:03 p.m.
pheller said:

The 9th gen has a few downsides, the K24Z3 with the single ehaust port head design is not the greatest for flow and doesn't have VTEC on the exhaust camshaft.

the lower redline compared to the 8th gen does't help the already slightly short 2nd gear.

It all depends on what you want from the car. Both cars are great out of the box, the 9th gen just isn't beloved like the 8th gen, the 8th gen was the last dual cam VTEC car Honda built and it has the best flowing head and intake manifold offered stateside(maybe worldwide?).

It doesn't say Type R on the back of the car, but like I said earlier in this thread, the 8th gen Si motors(k20Z3) have a LOT of potential to make fantastic power, which is part of why they retain their status of superiority over the 9th gen.

aftermarket is better on the 8th gen, cars are cheaper. i'd go that route.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SUGAIFU8B4x2FVWNkcPzplc8oa6nZbgJ6gDmC9pJUhxqZ36BRLE1qxltWhmDtnG2