1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
9/10/20 10:20 a.m.
feature_image

For the United States, the 1 Series–replaced by the 2 Series back in 2013–may have only existed as a hardtop coupe or a convertible, but in other parts of the world, the 1 Series could be had as both a two-door and four-door hatchback, And unlike the most recent 2 Series models sold internationally, these hatchback versions featured rear-wheel drive and could even be had …

Read the rest of the story

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
9/10/20 10:39 a.m.

It's a bit less awkward than the E36 Compact. What did the 2 door version look like?

Shaun
Shaun Dork
9/10/20 10:40 a.m.

My cup of tea.

adam525i (Forum Supporter)
adam525i (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/10/20 10:43 a.m.

That  hatchback has such better lines than the coupes we eventually got. They said there was no market for hatchbacks then based on 318ti sales a decade earlier but at the same time started introducing god awful 5 series GT things. 

idickers
idickers New Reader
9/10/20 11:05 a.m.

The 5-door 1 series with a manual transmission is my ideal car.  However, the dealer was not impressed or interested.

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
9/10/20 11:10 a.m.

In reply to adam525i (Forum Supporter) :

Let's be honest about the TI though. It's either a love or hate category for most folks, clearly the latter. It doesn't look like a hatchback or wagon, it looks like someone cut part of the car away and glued it back.

Colin Wood
9/10/20 11:31 a.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

Something like this:

adam525i (Forum Supporter)
adam525i (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/10/20 11:35 a.m.

In reply to captainawesome :

Exactly, what does that car have to do with the 1 series hatchback (I do like the Ti though)? I think BMW was worried about the idea of having a base model hatchback again and what it would do for their image or brand. Meanwhile, Audi, Mercedes and Lexus have all brought out small hatchbacks since and they are probably a good way to get new customers into their products.

wspohn
wspohn Dork
9/10/20 11:48 a.m.

Not the first time BMW deprived North America of a nice hatchback touring car option. 2002 tii Touring

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/10/20 11:55 a.m.

The 5 door, while not as attractive as the 3 door, makes so much sense from a performance and utility compromise and standpoint. 

It'd make such a great rally platform. 

Jordan Rimpela (FS)
Jordan Rimpela (FS) Dork
9/10/20 1:35 p.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

It's a bit less awkward than the E36 Compact.

Or worse. The e46 we never got:

Vigo (Forum Supporter)
Vigo (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/10/20 1:49 p.m.

I feel like BMW just totally lost me somewhere in the mid-late 00's and i haven't been interested in owning and being personally responsible for a single thing from them since then.  Maybe a motorcycle that i just don't know about...

Colin Wood
9/10/20 2:17 p.m.

In reply to Vigo (Forum Supporter) :

I get where you are coming from. I'd love to drive pretty much everything that BMW has been offering recently, but owning and maintaining a modern BMW? That's a whole different game.

fidelity101 (Forum Supporter)
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/10/20 2:27 p.m.

In reply to Jordan Rimpela (FS) :

thank god we didn't

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
9/10/20 4:13 p.m.

After the E46 and E39 generations I'm just not interested

Vajingo
Vajingo New Reader
9/10/20 4:20 p.m.
Shaun said:

My cup of tea.

My can of red bull. 

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
9/10/20 6:43 p.m.
docwyte said:

After the E46 and E39 generations I'm just not interested

I had similar thoughts until I drove a 2 aeries (F22). I bought 228i about a year ago and having a blast in it. I really reminds me of my old M3 (E36). Any problems with it in the next 40K miles it goes to the dealership.

Munchen Fan
Munchen Fan GRM+ Memberand None
9/10/20 6:53 p.m.

The 2-door is not bad. But I have to say I am 100% pleased with my E88.

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/10/20 7:20 p.m.

4 door in the wild in NZ. I didn't know they existed until I happened upon this one, so I snapped a pic to remember to research later.

bgkast (Forum Supporter)
bgkast (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/10/20 8:15 p.m.

Love the 1 series hatch. I tired to rent one when we went to Germany about 10 years ago, but they gave me a Ford kuga, which was just a US Escape, instead. Disappointing

Jordan Rimpela (FS)
Jordan Rimpela (FS) Dork
9/10/20 9:01 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

In reply to Vigo (Forum Supporter) :

I get where you are coming from. I'd love to drive pretty much everything that BMW has been offering recently, but owning and maintaining a modern BMW? That's a whole different game.

I can't remember, Colin, but did you drive the X2 M35i we had while I was there? 
It was pretty well sorted for what it was, but I'd hate to be on the hook for its operating costs long term. 

cyow5
cyow5 New Reader
9/11/20 7:16 a.m.
bgkast (Forum Supporter) said:

Love the 1 series hatch. I tired to rent one when we went to Germany about 10 years ago, but they gave me a Ford kuga, which was just a US Escape, instead. Disappointing

Haha, I actually got one as a rental around that same timeframe (2012?). Closest thing in the US is the E91, so I picked one up this spring

Cedricn
Cedricn New Reader
9/11/20 7:41 a.m.

They are pretty common on tracks on this side of the pond. The 135i first gen 1 serie kind of kicked that of, ive seen diesel ones aswell :) 

shagles
shagles Reader
9/11/20 9:35 a.m.

I'd trade my 128 coupe for a hatch in a heartbeat

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
9/11/20 9:39 a.m.

In reply to Strike_Zero :

There's the problem.  I drove an M2 a few years ago and it was entertaining but I'd *never* own a modern BMW that wasn't under warranty.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rCgcCCzlUTNYyj0HWUVWlOlXriFTXMtFMyxohZOuCVKsRjoJnvs6H6ctR0TkKrSL