ahutson03
ahutson03 New Reader
1/9/11 7:52 a.m.

So.... Kid down the street has an 85 Corolla GTS he's trying to get rid of. It's pretty ratty, no rust though. Flat black Krylon paint job, hit a dear needs a hood and front bumber. Interior is fairly intact, dash is cracked of course. He claims 12.5K miles on the 4ag in it and says that it was just a basic rebuild no performance changes or anything like that. 500 miles ago he put a low boost turbo kit on it but is running on stock ECU he says it's never gone over 5 psi, this is the part that worries me though as i'm a carburetor guy and have never really messed around with any turbo or fuel injection stuff for that matter. When I asked him how much he wanted for it he told me to make him an offer as he had just bought a 350Z and this is just taking up space in his driveway. So anyway, is this just a terrible mess and I should just walk away from it? If not what would you even offer for this kind of pseudo project?

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
1/9/11 7:53 a.m.

Ehh.... From the sound of it, i might offer $1000, tops.

I wouldn't walk away from it, though.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/9/11 8:06 a.m.

I'd agree -- no more than $1000. But I'd start with an offer much lower

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
1/9/11 8:07 a.m.

Yeah, an AE86 for under a K is not a bad deal. But based on your description it's going to be a project; I wouldn't consider it a daily driver.

ahutson03
ahutson03 New Reader
1/9/11 8:39 a.m.

hmmm yeah all these kids with these corollas seem to think the values on them are so high i'll just have to talk to him some more

triumph5
triumph5 Dork
1/9/11 8:55 a.m.

Offer him $500, and consider it a platform to learn about injection, ECUs, MAFs, throttle bodies, turbocharging, etc... and other aspects of today's cars you haven't dealt with--it's MUCH easier to do it on a "I don't need to drive it vehicle" than ah, "Oh, nuts, how am I going to get to work " vehicle. Oh so much easier. And cheaper.

ahutson03
ahutson03 New Reader
1/9/11 9:21 a.m.

yeah unfortunately my gut instinct is to sell the turbo kit and throw two webers on it haha

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 HalfDork
1/9/11 9:56 a.m.

Huh, doesn't sound as bad as all that to me. If it is a rebuilt engine and seems to be sound, yeah, that's worth something. I kinda agree that the easy thing is to pull the turbo off. Sell it and recover some of what you spend on the car.

Dunno, it's tough to get a deal on an AE86. Drift tax and all. Someone will pay him more than it's worth.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2k3LmsNyZkgqwfVFaeJBpvQWBoH5ANQou5GpNGbUVDgCETyu4Xwje6zI6TDzjc83