Craigloveswagons
Craigloveswagons New Reader
3/3/14 11:38 a.m.

I am starting to look at these for a future purchase if we have a second child. They seem to have the right stuff; practical, spacious for 2 adults and one toddler plus infant and all their stuff, fuel efficient, reliable, inconspicuous but fun because of acceleration. May want to tow small, lightweight trailer (<1500lbs)

So, a used one obviously as they don't make them anymore and not too much $$$

I am interested in the V6, possibly 4WD but FWD is fine, lower trim like the base or maybe limited. Not sport trim because I live in pothole cleveland and I'm getting old.

So which one is the one to get?

I have read about the water pump failures in 06,07, (08?) and then the dreaded oil line rupture (is that just 06, 07?)

Anything other suggestions that will be in this class? No CRV (has everything but no acceleration), Forester xt & outback xt (awesome but I'm scared of turbos blowing).

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/3/14 12:05 p.m.

Look at the 1stgen Highlander, they are the same size as that gen Rav4 and comes with the same V6 and more comfy interior/less noise (Rav4's are noisier inside.

Even the 2.4 has 175hp and VVT and it will get out of its own way fairly well. Essentially they are same as a Camry underneath and are deadnuts reliable/easy to work on.

trucke
trucke Reader
3/3/14 12:05 p.m.

The wife has an '08 Highlander with that V6. The oil line has been replaced as a recall. Just take it to the dealer and they will tell you if it has been replaced or will replace it for you.

We have 125k on ours and no water pump issues yet.

My understanding is the RAV4 is as bland to drive as our Highlander. However, they are comfortable, reliable and safe.

trucke
trucke Reader
3/3/14 12:07 p.m.

1st Gen Highlander is a 3.3 liter with timing belt. '08 had the 3.5 with timing chain. And yes, they are just big Camry's.

turboswede
3/3/14 12:11 p.m.

The 2.4 has a timing chain, BTW.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/3/14 2:39 p.m.

I believe that the Rav-4 is a gussied up Corolla, whereas the Highlander is based on the Camry. We very much enjoyed our 2nd gen Rav-4, although it was a bit choppy. I test drove the 3rd gens and found that while they're more refined, they've lost some of the jaunty feel, and some versions have sacrificed handling for the sake of comfort.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/3/14 2:58 p.m.
turboswede wrote: Look at the 1stgen Highlander, they are the same size as that gen Rav4 and comes with the same V6 and more comfy interior/less noise (Rav4's are noisier inside.

They're supposedly quite good, but the styling just always turned me off. - That and the fact that they are possibly even more of a housewife car than your average minivan. Now maybe larger, blacked out wheels and diamond-plate fenders would help, but somehow I just imagine Florence Henderson dressing up as a Raider fan.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
3/3/14 3:21 p.m.

I don't think the RAV4's are 'Rolla based. I am looking for a first gen, '96 to '00. The AWD manual transmission is Celica Alltrack or MR2 based (E series rock crusher), motor is a 3SFE, which was in the early Camrys. I think a 3SGTE with some fish tank gear and 300 HP is just about right for one of those. Oh, and the coldest winter in 10 years is not the time to be looking for one.

mw
mw Dork
3/3/14 3:25 p.m.

My wife has an 08 v6 limited rav4. Its surprisingly fun for a cute ute. I also used it to tow a miata and trailer 17 hours each way to Lincoln Ne with no issues. The only thing I've done is add helper air springs in the rear which were about $80 for the pair. It is rated for 3500lb or 4000lb towing with a weight distribution hitch. Its not really quiet inside compared to our e36, but not loud either. I am happy with the limited trim since leather is much easier to clean with kids. Ours has 100k miles on it now. So far it's needed an O2 sensor and a brake light switch other than regular maintenance (oil and brakes). The o2 sensor was horrible to change, but it wasn't to expensive...

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
3/3/14 3:38 p.m.

There is only one place you need to stop for this rav overhaul.

http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/

the guy who owns it has a 3sGT3 swap in a 2 door rav, holy hell does that thing move.

turboswede
3/3/14 3:49 p.m.
kreb wrote:
turboswede wrote: Look at the 1stgen Highlander, they are the same size as that gen Rav4 and comes with the same V6 and more comfy interior/less noise (Rav4's are noisier inside.
They're supposedly quite good, but the styling just always turned me off. - That and the fact that they are possibly even more of a housewife car than your average minivan. Now maybe larger, blacked out wheels and diamond-plate fenders would help, but somehow I just imagine Florence Henderson dressing up as a Raider fan.

Huh. I guess my self-worth isn't wrapped up in what I drive. Ours is white and a base model, so its just about invisible to most police and catches people by surprise all the time. I also have no problem driving a minivan, since you know its about how you drive not so much what you drive (I'm looking at some of you Corvette owners out there who clog the passing lane.) Honestly, the car is a much nicer rig to drive than the Rav4 (quieter, better handling, more cargo space) and with the V6 and AWD they can move along quite nicely.

Driven5
Driven5 Reader
3/3/14 3:58 p.m.

We've only had it for a few months so far, but we couldn't be happier with our RAV4 Sport. The 3.5L V6 in the RAV4 has both more power and noticeably better fuel economy than the 3.3L V6 in the 1st Gen Highlander. There really aren't many vehicles with AWD that get better fuel economy AND can tow at least 3500 lb (with tow prep package). The Sport is definitely the less appliance like drive, but the Base/Limited were still more than acceptable too in addition to having a smoother ride. Gear whine in the 30-40mph range can be a an issue on the V6's, so watch out for that on ones that are out of warranty.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
3/3/14 4:04 p.m.

I have an '08 awd sport V6,needed a water pump at about 65k but Toyota picked up the tab no questions asked.Oh and a recall for the drivers side window switches and other than that just oil changes and trouble free motoring.Decent fuel economy but tiny fuel tank so about 4 hrs of hwy driving means a fuel stop,thats about when I want a break too so its perfect. 0-60's in the high 6's means you have no problem staying with traffic or merge lanes.

Driven5
Driven5 Reader
3/3/14 4:07 p.m.
turboswede wrote: Huh. I guess my self-worth isn't wrapped up in what I drive.

Good for you?

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/3/14 4:44 p.m.
Craigloveswagons wrote: I have read about the water pump failures in 06,07, (08?) and then the dreaded oil line rupture (is that just 06, 07?)

We have and '06 Base AWD with the V6 and Tow Prep Package. Overall, it's been a good car for us.

Our water pump was leaking slightly at 125k, so I had it replaced. I replaced the problem oil line with the metal one from the Lexus version of the motor years ago, so we never had that issue.

Other things to watch out for: - The first design of ignition coils go pretty frequently (new part solves that problem). I've replaced two that failed so far, and replaced the only remaining original one from the rear bank when I was doing the sparkplugs.
- Steering shaft intermediate joint had issues that were taken care of with the redesigned part
- We had a driver's side drive axle seal leak

Overall, it's been a great vehicle. I commute about 20k a year and average 22-24 MPG in mixed driving. On a longer, all-highway trip, I can touch 30MPG. Given its size, power, and AWD capability, I think that's pretty incredible.

My biggest complaint is the design of the rear seat seat belts. They cross two seat belts in such a way that you're really not supposed to have three passengers across back there. Unfortunately, they continued the design into the current generation, as well.

Ask if you have any more specific questions, http://www.rav4world.com is another great source of information, as well. I'm on there with the same user name...

carbon
carbon HalfDork
3/3/14 5:30 p.m.

The ravs and landers hold their value so well, that last time I rav shopped I came home with a low miles rx330 for the same dough. Worth considering one of those, mine was a pissa rig, nice and comfy, surprisingly agile and sticky with the sport pack.

carbon
carbon HalfDork
3/3/14 5:42 p.m.

The sport pkg ravs had tokicos or somethin right? It was something coolish for dampers, I forget. The 6 cyl ravs were the fastest car toyota made for a couple years, they listed 0-60 as 5.9 on a brochure I saw. AAAAnd thats without the blower! I bet a blown one screws!

Craigloveswagons
Craigloveswagons New Reader
3/3/14 6:01 p.m.

I have been checking highlanders too but I am concerned about toyotas resale values. Is there some vehicle similar I am not considering that is a better used value?

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
3/3/14 6:44 p.m.

The 3.5L Rav4 is one of my favorite small crossover SUVs ever. The motor really helps it, considering its several other flaws. It's got strange and almost cramped ergonomics in the front (2nd row is fantastic, though!) and is pretty noisy/poorly insulated. The styling is very mehhhhhhhh. I think the motor makes up for it. It's a real giggle. I think there is a huge value to exceeding expectations and a v6 rav4 does that when you hold the pedal down long enough.

For the same money, though, i would probably prefer a slightly older Highlander Hybrid. They're almost as fast, and better in several other areas.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ot3byRLIJByM0SAVzmY1o6d9qOihnYMsMLTNIq80vYI1xvaN4jHDvUg16fQseck2