dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/13/16 6:22 p.m.

I started a thread on this topic previously, but cannot find it.

Does anyone have any links to a DIY on how to do this? The PO pulled the AC components while chasing weight for CSP auto-x. I'm more interested in comfortable DD activities. I bought a complete '99 AC kit from Treasure Coast, but have very little idea what I'm doing when it comes to (re)installing it. Keep in mind that changing spark plugs is considered 'medium' level wrenching for me!

Autolex
Autolex Dork
7/14/16 9:21 a.m.
codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/14/16 10:57 a.m.

Bolt all the pieces back in, then take it to an AC shop to be evacuated and refilled. Do you have the factory shop manual? If not, there are PDFs available out on the web (see this thread).

Briefly, pull the belly pan and the radiator, install the condenser in the nose. There's a big heavy bracket that attaches to the block underneath the power steering pump, the AC compressor attaches to that. One of the bolts that goes into the front of the oil pump will need to be removed to install the bracket, then replaced with a longer one. You'll need a longer belt to go around the PS pump & AC compressor pulleys. The tensioner for this belt is on the PS pump bracket, so if the PO deleted the PS as well as the AC, then you'll need a way to tension the belt. You can do this either by reinstalling PS, or by finding one of the (somewhat rare) PS-replacement tensioner pulley setups. There's a wire that connects to the compressor to enable it.

The evaporator goes behind the glovebox, but some people leave it in. On an NA, removing/reinstalling the evaporator supposedly requires pulling the dash, it does not on an NB, but a lot of people think it does and so they don't bother. Pull the glove box out and see if there's a big black plastic box in there between the blower and the heater core, or if it's a round hose-looking thing. If it's a hose-looking thing, you need to pull that out and reinstall the evaporator. There are two holes in the firewall that the evaporator refrigerant lines go through, they were supposed to be blocked with grommets when removing the AC. There is a third hole lower down which is where the drain line for the evaporator goes.

After that you just need to install the hard lines to connect the three components, then get it refilled. There's a pressure sensor that needs to be connected near the passenger-side headlight. If the dryer is used and has been open to ambient air for a while, it may be full of moisture and need to be replaced. If you're installing any used parts, you probably want to blow them with compressed air before installing it and make sure there are no bugs/etc living in there.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/14/16 11:12 a.m.

Easier way to tell if the evaporator is there is to look at the firewall in the engine bay. Are the two pipes sticking out?

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/14/16 1:23 p.m.

Thanks for the link and advice. Great stuff!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pEUoPFTZNi2YAmgRIEKbS3oKOSvqnYaFjgraWcqpTAS3gWdKjSBaT9WKV3WfJkJf