1 2
RexSeven
RexSeven UberDork
6/13/16 12:05 p.m.

Noice! Now if my Billies weren't so rusty...

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
6/14/16 7:47 a.m.

How is the balance? I would think with a stiff front end it would understeer a bit more than desired. The response to steering input must be great though!

I just got a set of stock HD Bilstiens (used KYBs then, pss9 coilovers with camber plates, then back to stockish) on my Evo8 and they are soft but inspire some confidence. I think I understand what one forum poster mentions about high frequency noise from the dampers but the car feels good in the corners when loaded so far.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
6/14/16 12:56 p.m.

How do they feel compared to stock?

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
6/17/16 10:59 p.m.

The balance is good, the stiffer front actually keeps some of the understeer in check.
I'm running less camber up front than the handful of other guys running X's in BS, but I'm also running my RE71's with less pressure up front than said guys
(29 psi up front, as low as 28 in the rear, spray the fronts down between runs, occasionally the same with the rears)
FWIW, it sounds like my local courses are smaller and a little slower than the ones the other vocal guys are seeing.

Car slaloms fantastically, even if I charge in a little too hard I can get it back on track.
Wider back and forth can be more troublesome, like offset gates, but I think there's little I can do about that when the car is 3700 pounds with me in it.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
3/22/17 4:43 p.m.

Update just in case anyone is where I was a year ago, wondering how to set up an X for AX.
On my second set of RE-71's now, went to a 255/35, already planning on trying out a 265 for the next set.
Very happy with the tire, even in the cold, can handle a good bit of water if the tread depth is still present.
Camber is still less than I'd like, have had it done by three different places...
(on stock suspension, when the billies were installed, and last week to correct any shifting in a year of driving)
None of them have been able to get more than -1.9 F and -1.2 R out of the OEM adjustability range.
Others are reporting -2.5 and -1.5 without any struggle so I'm wondering if there's been damage or if it's just another little oddity with a CDM example.
(Mitsu doesn't make crash bolts so I'm at a bit of a loss, I'd like that extra camber)
34 front, 28 rear is the sweet spot for the 71's. For the wet, DWSes at 32/30, ideally I'd be running DW's (pondering a set of the new ExtremeContacts, 'too bad' the DWSes have a lot of life left)

And now a small dump of pictures from recent racing.

Last shot, taken during course walks.

DocV
DocV New Reader
3/23/17 12:00 a.m.

Thanks for the update. What class does this Evo run in?

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
3/23/17 12:17 a.m.

In reply to DocV:

B Street.
As tempting as the touring indexes may be, I've blown enough on these shocks to not want to shell out for coilovers, much less the power mods that would open up.

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose SuperDork
3/27/17 5:34 p.m.

For whatever reason - damage, slight differences between the billies and the konis it came with, my having angered the gods - I'm still not seeing the camber that others are reporting with a street class legal setup.
Thoughts on options aside from just sucking it up?
Slotting the holes on the lower mounting points has been suggested but would not be - strictly speaking - class legal.

I dunno, but I'd like to get everything I can out of this setup now that I have it, can't imagine that giving up .6 degrees of camber up front is helpful.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uCRDtvxqs7gEAhZj2ndAgHlpV9xGCHNyPKSaEftpmYHTx9JrzN69VrSPw2yqT09r