pilotbraden
pilotbraden HalfDork
9/7/11 4:00 p.m.

The seatbelt in my Miata has begun to fray. Should I re web the existing assembly or get a used assembly? How does one re web the belt?

spritedriver28
spritedriver28 New Reader
9/7/11 4:06 p.m.

I don't think you can get factory belts re-webbed. If it's a race belt it usually is better just to buy a new set as the price difference is negligable. If you go with used Flyin' Miata is the way to go. Their salvage dept. is really great!

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy Dork
9/7/11 4:07 p.m.

Before you spend a whole lot of effort, check the price on new ones at Mazda. Chances are it'll be pricey, but sometimes seatbelt stuff is really cheap, or even free if its a safety concern. I haven't done it for a few years, but my wifes 89 Cherokee gotr a new latch 12 years in. for free

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
9/7/11 4:25 p.m.

Dunno about Mazda, but Honda will replace seatbelts fo' free!!!

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/7/11 8:24 p.m.

Flyin' Miata doesn't sell used seatbelts. They're a one-time-use item. I'd suggest contacting Mazda about it.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
9/7/11 8:32 p.m.
spritedriver28 wrote: I don't think you can get factory belts re-webbed.

There are vendors at pretty much every swap meet that will sell you the bits to do it yourself or offer it as a service.

Google turned up these in a few seconds

http://www.seatbeltsolutions.com/

http://www.ssnake-oyl.com/

http://www.seatbeltplanet.com/webbing-replacement/

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/7/11 9:13 p.m.

I replaced mine with Mazda belts. No sense in messing with safety.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/8/11 6:01 a.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: Before you spend a whole lot of effort, check the price on new ones at Mazda. Chances are it'll be pricey, but sometimes seatbelt stuff is really cheap, or even free if its a safety concern. I haven't done it for a few years, but my wifes 89 Cherokee gotr a new latch 12 years in. for free

I tried to buy a new seatbelt for an old Civic once and the Honda dealer said, "Nope. It's free and we have to install it."

I tried to get Jeep to replace one and they told me that it would be several hundred dollars, even after I mentioned how great Honda service is.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden HalfDork
9/8/11 7:54 a.m.

Thank you all for the advice. I will call Mazda today.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden HalfDork
9/8/11 10:39 a.m.

$271 from the Mazda dealer. That will be my last option. I am planning to learn rewebbing.

dculberson
dculberson HalfDork
9/8/11 4:25 p.m.

The last place I would order safety stuff from would be a place called ssnake-oyl. Haha.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
9/8/11 4:29 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: Dunno about Mazda, but Honda will replace seatbelts fo' free!!!

I lost two different sholder harnesses to hungry dogs. Maybe I need to be driving a Honda.

Seatbelt Solutions did a good job of replacing both of them.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden HalfDork
9/13/11 8:37 a.m.

Mazmart sold me a complete assembly yesterday for $90. It looks like new. They also had the newest issue of Grassroots Motorsports on the counter.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YezuaSkweXGZq53DhE7piNCqpBkCPyd6PdEQw31tV0DxF5NFcW1sYabDw6o0aFnw