Chuck McAbee
Chuck McAbee New Reader
1/19/21 6:30 p.m.

Was racing a 2-stroke engine at Sebring this past weekend (1/15-17/21) and had issues with spark plugs.  First session one plug had the metal contact on the top of the plug break off inside the spark plug boot.

Two laps into the Saturday race the engine laid down and was only running on one cylinder (of 2) and I therefore parked the car rather than be a slow, slow moving danger on track.

Back in the paddock, one plug was wet with fuel, the one that fail.  The other was blue-gray around the insulator.  I have seen lean run plugs and all those that I have seen have been a very light gray tending to be white.  I have never seen one that was more BLUE than gray.

I was using the track supplied VP 110 leaded fuel and Red Line Racing 2-stroke oil.

Ideas?

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
1/19/21 7:56 p.m.

Chuck in all my years of running two stokes I've never seen this either. I will ask my tuner pal (tuned numerous motocross bikes for world mini riders) if he's ever seen anything like this.

Chuck McAbee
Chuck McAbee New Reader
1/20/21 10:17 p.m.

Could there being something in the purple dye that VP is using in their fuel that could cause such coloring?

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
1/20/21 10:29 p.m.

In reply to Chuck McAbee :

I've heard of that anecdotally, but no direct experience. Was there any color change in pipe soot on the exhaust? (Try a clean white paper towel wipe)

*Edit* saw this. https://www.vdlfuelsystems.com/anything-and-everything-you-want-to-know-about-spark-plugs/

Additives in the fuel – sometimes when you change fuel brands you will see a change in the look of the insulator. Usually it is a color change indicating a different dye or additive used in the fuel.  

Btw, I have you as a fb friend. You still near sykesville? At some point when the pandemic waines I would love to pick your brain on setup stuff with my KBS MK7 (I bought Lenny Seitz's car from the york pa area). I am just autocrossing for now, but was planning on running at summit point with PHA at some point to get on a big track for the first time.

Chuck McAbee
Chuck McAbee New Reader
1/21/21 4:56 p.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

Snowbirding in Florida through February, expect to be back North for the Summit Point Major in the middle of March.

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
1/21/21 5:01 p.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

I still have every intention of doing both road racing and autocrossing with my car. I've now got the set up change down to about an hour and a half.

Chuck McAbee
Chuck McAbee New Reader
1/23/21 6:01 p.m.

Plug is 'bluer' in person than it is in this picture.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7h2VNcXsot2pX669wZTmBtMOdW8b4NF1FxQ5IwV5ECCvxoXXouM4Eyo8pzQpzvid