1 2
kolzen
kolzen
4/29/09 8:43 p.m.

I mostly lurk here, been a GRM reader and subscriber for 7 or 8 years now but usually dont feel the need to post. I'm curently in the market to replace my '00 Audi A4 1.8t and was interested in seeing what folks thought about the new Genesis. The replacement contenders are the Genesis Coupe 2.0t and 370z (I know, not exactly apples to apples)

I live in San Diego and you'd think we would have a ton of them on the dealerships by now, but of the 3 I'm dealing with only 1 has had one in stock long enough for me to come drive it. It was a 2.0t automatic premium - not exactly what I'm looking for!

Have any of you had experience with (Autocross or otherwise) with the 2.0t Track w/ the 6-spd? How's the gearbox? How drivable is the engine when mated to the manual? The auto felt way more sluggish than it should have, but that's based on nothing other than knowing my chipped A4 puts out roughly the same HP and TQ numbers (no idea what the Genesis TQ curve looks like tho)

At any rate, any thoughts would be appreciated!

-K

mtn
mtn Dork
4/29/09 8:51 p.m.

I still haven't even see one

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/29/09 8:58 p.m.

me either

RexSeven
RexSeven HalfDork
4/29/09 9:08 p.m.

Plenty of Gennie Coupe threads, but no one's driven yet. I think anyone who's interested is holding out for the R-Spec model, since it's the "strippo" (relatively speaking) model.

skruffy
skruffy Dork
4/29/09 9:40 p.m.

The dealer here has several and I went in to test drive one. They're all V6/auto and fully loaded to the tune of like $38k. No thanks.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/29/09 9:42 p.m.

We've had quite a few threads on them. Unfortunately they haven't really hit the dealers yet, and when they have they've been bought up. I've yet to even see one in real life!

Lugnut
Lugnut Reader
4/29/09 9:45 p.m.

I thought I saw one yesterday out driving, but it turns out it was a Nissan GTR. And I was disappointed.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter HalfDork
4/29/09 9:49 p.m.
skruffy wrote: The dealer here has several and I went in to test drive one. They're all V6/auto and fully loaded to the tune of like $38k. No thanks.

$38k?!? The local stealership had one down here that was V6/slushbox/loaded, and they only wanted $27k for it. No wonder your dealer has several, it sounds like they're putting a $10k "cause-we-can" fee on 'em.

Appleseed
Appleseed HalfDork
4/29/09 9:52 p.m.

Motortrend or Car & Driver (interchangeable) said that while it was OK, it wasn't as good as a Mustang or a 370Z.

Really? Not as good as a 370Z? No e36 m3. Did they forget that the Genesis has a back seat? And the V6 is almost equal to the Ford's V8. Or the fact that the R-Spec is less than a base GT. Ungh.

God, those mags suck. I'd what and see a GRM reveiw. I'm hedging it's better than most.

kolzen
kolzen New Reader
4/29/09 10:03 p.m.

Thanks for the replies folks. As Appleseed mentioned "it has a back seat" which is amazing for those "oh crap, I need to take 2 passengers" moments - and it also gets 30mpg (which is a good thing as I'll daily drive it about half the time). Part of me really wants the R-spec but the lazy in me thinks the fancies in the Track are really nice on my 50 mile round trip commute

I guess I'll keep looking for one - I'm just getting impatient!

RexSeven
RexSeven HalfDork
4/29/09 10:13 p.m.

There are a few 2.0T Track M/T Gennies in a 20 mile radius of where I live. All in white or silver (ugh). Pricing seems to range from $25,000-28,000. If I were in the market for a new car, I'd certainly take one out for a spin.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/29/09 10:22 p.m.

Why not order one and get exactly what you want?

RexSeven
RexSeven HalfDork
4/29/09 10:30 p.m.

I'm not actually going to buy one. I'm just not a fan of it in those colors. Silver is anonymous. The only cars I find sexy in all white are the R32 and the FC3S. Everything else looks like an appliance.

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
4/29/09 10:52 p.m.

What MT said and what I've been afraid of is that it looks good on paper, but the execution lacks quite a bit. They mentioned it was the little details that made it not fare so well.

I've been worried it would be a poor copy of a concept and that is apparently what's happened.

Appleseed
Appleseed HalfDork
4/29/09 11:20 p.m.

Or we could all be patient, and wait a year or two and see if things get ironed out, WRX style.

wherethefmi
wherethefmi HalfDork
4/29/09 11:54 p.m.

Yeah everyone knows you don't buy the first year of a model.

ZOOMiata
ZOOMiata GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/30/09 5:24 a.m.

I've driven one. A 2.0 Turbo six speed. It was "nice", but not "spectacular". I hated the computer tuning -- the revs hang between shifts.

Armitage
Armitage Reader
4/30/09 8:09 a.m.

I lost interest in the Genesis when I saw the weight.

slefain
slefain Dork
4/30/09 8:21 a.m.

Isn't the 2.0L turbo engine based on the 4G63T? The deal is going to be getting a turbo 4 car with the manual trans, and then bump up the boost. I've already read that 300hp is easily attainable from the turbo engine.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Reader
4/30/09 8:25 a.m.
ZOOMiata wrote: I've driven one. A 2.0 Turbo six speed. It was "nice", but not "spectacular". I hated the computer tuning -- the revs hang between shifts.

That's been a Hyundai "trait" for years... Both the Elantra I have and the Accent do the same.

I did get to sit on a Track auto V6. The seat... omg the seat... was about perfect.

jde
jde Reader
4/30/09 8:51 a.m.
skruffy wrote: The dealer here has several and I went in to test drive one. They're all V6/auto and fully loaded to the tune of like $38k. No thanks.

Sounds like a sedan price to me...?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Reader
4/30/09 9:04 a.m.
slefain wrote: Isn't the 2.0L turbo engine based on the 4G63T? The deal is going to be getting a turbo 4 car with the manual trans, and then bump up the boost. I've already read that 300hp is easily attainable from the turbo engine.

nO, IT's the shared design with the 4B11T that's in the new Evo and SRT-4 Caliber. Yes, there is serious power on tap there just waiting for someone to unleash it.

IMO, the V6 Track is being pushed upmarked to complement the Genesis sedan like a G37 coupe. The 2.0, and 2.0 R-spec will likely stay cheaper to compete against the camaro/mustang V6 and draw in 240SX owners to something newer.

mw
mw Reader
4/30/09 10:49 a.m.

Someone had a v6 auto at our autox school this past weekend. It seemed decent, but it was only driven by a student and looked decent compared to other student drivers. None of the instructors got to take it out unfortunately.

skruffy
skruffy Dork
4/30/09 11:49 a.m.
jde wrote:
Sounds like a sedan price to me...?

http://hyundai.vossauto.com/New-Inventory.aspx?InventoryId=27178796

Either I was remembering about $10k high or they sold the one they had all loaded up with dealer add-ons. Or they may have wised up and removed a "market adjustment". Either way $30k is a whole bunch for a Hyundai when I can get a 370z for around the same price. They do have a 2.0t now but it's an auto.

RossD
RossD Reader
4/30/09 12:19 p.m.

Whenever I start thinking that I could afford a $20K loan for a new car, I always slip back to what can I get for a $20K car loan for a used car. And I always end up looking for '99/'00 or so 911 with 80k-100k miles. Depreciation is a hell of a drug. It makes expensive cars cheap but makes owning them expensive.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1PPvrmC9QfE5YFzbQxgV2ah5jU6Uy81HE6jv9AJE2Hc4g5uNBupTFn56yAITOCMh