volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse Reader
6/29/12 9:53 a.m.

Looking at rear axles for a project...something to handle ~300HP. Did some junkyard fact finding yesterday and looking at potential rear axles from Jeep Grand Cherokees, Ford Explorers, and GM Blazers/ Jimmys. All have potential.

The Jeep rear end sounds like it's a Dana 35. Any experience with these?

The Ford rear is the 8.8. I've heard good things about these.

Not sure what rear is under the Jimmy/ Blazer.

Application will be a rear live axle, leaf springs. Pretty simple. Not afraid of changing spring perches if I have to- but if I got something that fit without changing obviously that would be best. Need something pretty narrow- this is going to go under an early A-body Chrysler. Rear disc brakes are nice, but not a requirement. Bolt pattern is flexible- I think the Jeep and the Ford are 5 x 4.5, and the Jimmy is a 5 on 4.75. Do prefer a 5 lug bolt pattern, though.

What say ye?

oldtin
oldtin SuperDork
6/29/12 10:03 a.m.

Dana 35s are probably on the edge with 300hp/tq - quite a few XJs came with dana 44s. Discs are bolt-on upgrades for d44s. How heavy is the car? 2,000lb you're probably ok with a 35. 3,000 lbs and hard driving - plan on breaking it.

Ranger50
Ranger50 SuperDork
6/29/12 10:10 a.m.

What is the budget?

You can get a 1st/2nd gen (depends on who you talk to, but for this it means 89-96) Dakota 8 1/4". The 91-96's are 6 lug, but it is only about a C-note to make them 5x4.5. Then you can get some 8 1/4" rear Jeep Liberty rear backing plate/caliper mount, calipers, pads, rotors for cheap discs. Plus above all, it stays all factory Mopar. The A-body 8 3/4" is a popular swap to the Dakota, if you can find them. So the reverse should be true too.

I don't recall the width of the Exploders, but those will more times then not have a Traction-Loc carrier with 3.73's. This is also a centered housing, so you might end up with some trans tunnel "massaging" needed.

I wouldn't waste my time on a Dana if it was the last rear axle on the planet.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Dork
6/29/12 10:27 a.m.

The Dakota rear is a good bit wider than the A-body Mopar rear. Dakota guys use them to get more tire on common wheels under the Dak.

I wouldn't use a Dana 35. Might use a 44, but not a 35.

The old Ford 8" from a Mustang/Maverick/Granada will fit an early A-body, but they aren't growing on trees anymore. But they are usually cheap when you find them.

When I was looking up some info on Mustangs the other day the SN95 Mustang 8.8" rear was only 3/4" narrower than the '69 Mustang 8" rear. I don't have all the numbers handy, but that should be in the ballpark for an A-body as well.

The GM rear will have a 4.75" bolt pattern on it instead of the Mopar & Ford & AMC 4.5" wheel bolt pattern.

The Mopar 8 1/4" from a '73-76 A-body is a bolt in, but again not as common. But one of those rears combined with a '96-down Dakota gears ('97 they changed the axle spline count) & Sure Grip (Mopar term for a limited slip diff), then some Liberty rear disks would be a good junkyard combo.

A '95-down XJ Cherokee with an 8 1/4 could donate some gears and Sure Grip as well. Sometime in '96 they went to the higher spline count on the axles too.

The Daks had 3.21-3.55-3.91 available ratios from the factory. Cherokees had 3.07 on the low end and 4.10 on the high, with the others in the middle.

If you aren't planning to keep your stock wheel openings then the Dak and Jeep rears might be more of an option.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
6/29/12 10:41 a.m.

I'd grab the Ford 8.8" and not even think about it. They're common, parts are dirt cheap, and they're strong, especially if you can find a 31-spline unit (I think the V8 explorers have 31 spline from the factory). All V8 Mustangs after the mid-80s have the trak-lok LSD standard, I believe it's fairly common in it's other uses. Mustangs use either 4x4.25 (foxbody) or 5x4.5 (SN95), and all the SN95 and newer rears have disk brakes. I believe Explorers and 1/2-ton F-series use 5x4.75, but I'm not 100% positive on that. Mustang diffs will most likely be 2.73s (3.08s and 3.27s were optional), though gears are cheap ($175 for brand new FRPP gears in most ratios, a little more if you want to go with something like 4.56s). Strength-wise they're just shy of a 9", and I believe on par with the GM 12-bolt (For reference, V8 Camaros use the weaker 10-bolt)

If you insist on the Dana, I would skip the 35 (unless it's a lo-cost) and go straight for a 44, a Dana 60 if you're making crazy-power.

tuna55
tuna55 UltraDork
6/29/12 10:48 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: I'd grab the Ford 8.8" and not even think about it. They're common, parts are dirt cheap, and they're strong, especially if you can find a 31-spline unit (I think the V8 explorers have 31 spline from the factory). All V8 Mustangs after the mid-80s have the trak-lok LSD standard, I believe it's fairly common in it's other uses. Mustangs use either 4x4.25 (foxbody) or 5x4.5 (SN95), and all the SN95 and newer rears have disk brakes. I believe Explorers and 1/2-ton F-series use 5x4.75, but I'm not 100% positive on that. Mustang diffs will most likely be 2.73s (3.08s and 3.27s were optional), though gears are cheap ($175 for brand new FRPP gears in most ratios, a little more if you want to go with something like 4.56s). Strength-wise they're just shy of a 9", and I believe on par with the GM 12-bolt (For reference, V8 Camaros use the weaker 10-bolt) If you insist on the Dana, I would skip the 35 (unless it's a lo-cost) and go straight for a 44, a Dana 60 if you're making crazy-power.

This guy has it.

If I know VCH and what he's doing, this is no-budget. The Junkyards are littered with Exploders.

Stay away from pretty much any GM rear. They make excellent engines and fantastic automatic transmissions, but rear ends? Go to the blue oval guys for that.

Ranger50
Ranger50 SuperDork
6/29/12 11:07 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: I'd grab the Ford 8.8" and not even think about it. They're common, parts are dirt cheap, and they're strong, especially if you can find a 31-spline unit (I think the V8 explorers have 31 spline from the factory). All V8 Mustangs after the mid-80s have the trak-lok LSD standard, I believe it's fairly common in it's other uses. Mustangs use either 4x4.25 (foxbody) or 5x4.5 (SN95), and all the SN95 and newer rears have disk brakes. I believe Explorers and 1/2-ton F-series use 5x4.75, but I'm not 100% positive on that. Mustang diffs will most likely be 2.73s (3.08s and 3.27s were optional), though gears are cheap ($175 for brand new FRPP gears in most ratios, a little more if you want to go with something like 4.56s). Strength-wise they're just shy of a 9", and I believe on par with the GM 12-bolt (For reference, V8 Camaros use the weaker 10-bolt) If you insist on the Dana, I would skip the 35 (unless it's a lo-cost) and go straight for a 44, a Dana 60 if you're making crazy-power.

Few points to clarify, Exploders are 5x4.5, FS are 5x5.5BP. AFAIK, all Exploders are 31 spline. Rangers and Mustangs stayed 28 spline. If you have a guy still in a Ford dealer that just happens to rebuild 8.8's, he should have a E36 M3load of 3.73 gearsets, unless the scrappers that roam about have sucked them up. Probably nab them for 25 bucks, if you find out you have to do a gear swap..

fasted58
fasted58 UltraDork
6/29/12 11:10 a.m.

No to the Dana 35, you can do much better

tr8todd
tr8todd Reader
6/29/12 11:29 a.m.

Keep in mind most car based units will have 2 axles of the same length and a center section that is offset 1 inch. Most truck based units will have two different length axles and a center section that is offset around 3 inches. I've narrowed the long side of Explorer axles to match the short side and used 2 shorter axles to stuff into cars. They work great in 300 plus HP TR8s. The ones from the late 90s will have disc brakes and many will have limited slips installed.

WhiteLX
WhiteLX New Reader
6/29/12 11:37 a.m.

A stock Ford 8.8 will have no problem with 300rwhp. I've only changed axles to a set of Superior axles and it has no problem taking 450rwhp launching at 4500-5000rpm on ET Streets.

volvoclearinghouse
6/29/12 12:14 p.m.

I'm thinking the SN95 Mustang rear is the way to go, I saw a few of them at the yards. There were rows and rows of nothing but Explorers, Jimmy/Blazers, and Grand Cherokees, though, hence why that was the focus of the original thread. But it sounds like the axle length thing could be an issue, unless I found a 2WD model (not uncommon in the South, BTW). I think that's how I'll go. Now, as for the fronts, I'm thinking disc brake swap from a Volare or similar, but those aren't as plentify 'round here. I wonder if the Mustang front spindles will bolt onto my Dart, I know Mustang brakes and like them.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
6/29/12 12:48 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: I know Mustang brakes and like them.

As a Mustang person I am very confused by this statement, lol.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/29/12 12:55 p.m.

The SN95 Mustang front spindles are "built-in" to the strut housing, so you'll need to source a different spindle.

The SN95 rear axle is definitely the go-to part here though for the original question. Grab the guts out of an Exploder if you want the good gear/TrakLok combo.

volvoclearinghouse
6/29/12 1:12 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote:
volvoclearinghouse wrote: I know Mustang brakes and like them.
As a Mustang person I am very confused by this statement, lol.

Compared to 1960's drum brakes, they are awesome.

Any suggestions for front spindles, preferably with the 5 x 4.5" bolt pattern, that will bolt onto a '64 Dart front end without too much modification? I do not discriminate for manufacturer; if its from a freaking Toyota I don't care. I just want front disc brakes. I'm totally fine with keeping the rest of the Dart front suspension. I heart torsion bars. ;-)

Ranger50
Ranger50 SuperDork
6/29/12 1:26 p.m.
Javelin wrote: The SN95 Mustang front spindles are "built-in" to the strut housing, so you'll need to source a different spindle.

Or build a new A-arm or 4.....

Gasoline
Gasoline HalfDork
6/29/12 1:31 p.m.

A consideration....Chrysler 8 3/4” - Axle Guide - widths and what not http://members.tripod.com/~Mojo_Page/chry875.htm

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1B1u1dUNfxuAYnr9wkPRJWFP4uwBpozJv1TRFAs9WpiB5JwCIplIj0rtfWF4UB3l