1 2 3 4 ... 7
pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/16/15 1:21 p.m.

That ITC VW is sure cool, but it's a 1980. As far as I know, most vintage rally rules specify 1979 or older, which is where my criteria were born. The turn a 280Z into a Ferrari idea is a goofy one, but less enticing to me than a real 280Z. I don't need anything from a particularly provenant marque, I'm just wondering what might fit the requirements to run a vintage rally while still being relatively quick by current standards.

I know that there's no easy button answer to this, and the question is largely hypothetical anyway. Here in Wisconsin, I would just build a DE car as there ain't crap for vintage rallies around anyway and clean vintage cars are quite difficult to come by. I loved my Spider Quad and my X1/9 but both were not quick cars and were somewhat rusty.

SWMBO and I are discussing a mutually career-driven move to the northwest though, which changes EVERYTHING. Considering the far more interesting pool of surviving vehicles there is to choose from out there, and the proximity to all the cool events that we don't have here in the Midwest, that got the gears turning, and here we are. Just running through potential builds in my head so I have an idea of the direction I'd like to move in, since half of this board is basically bench racing anyway

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/16/15 1:22 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: In reply to Robbie: Yes there was- the very first Kit Car magazine I remember my dad buying had that kit on the cover. We even called to get the info. Never pulled the trigger.

There was a young lady and her partner here on the board that was building one with a BMW V12. She was working on making it a much more accurate replica. That was several incarnations of the board ago though and she's not been heard from since.

NickD
NickD Reader
12/16/15 1:24 p.m.

928? Not a Porsche guy, so I'm not sure what they sell for (people don't like them, right?) but V8, manual trans and RWD: It's a German hot rod!

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/16/15 1:24 p.m.
Stefan (Not Bruce) wrote:
alfadriver wrote: In reply to Robbie: Yes there was- the very first Kit Car magazine I remember my dad buying had that kit on the cover. We even called to get the info. Never pulled the trigger.
There was a young lady and her partner here on the board that was building one with a BMW V12. She was working on making it a much more accurate replica. That was several incarnations of the board ago though and she's not been heard from since.

Yeah, I saw that, and then the broken link, and then googled it. Looks like some photos here: http://www.carscoops.com/2007/06/ferrari-250-gto-replica-based-on-nissan.html

interesting since my thought was to do exactly the same thing with a BMW v12 and carbs...

EDIT: sorry for the derail, OP.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
12/16/15 1:27 p.m.
NickD wrote: 928? Not a Porsche guy, so I'm not sure what they sell for (people don't like them, right?) but V8, manual trans and RWD: It's a German hot rod!

They do sound nice when properly fitted with exhaust and once you lose all of the borked Bosch electrical and heavy interior they aren't bad for weight or reliability.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
12/16/15 1:28 p.m.

I second the RX-7 idea

NickD
NickD Reader
12/16/15 1:29 p.m.
NickD wrote: 928? Not a Porsche guy, so I'm not sure what they sell for (people don't like them, right?) but V8, manual trans and RWD: It's a German hot rod!
They do sound nice when properly fitted with exhaust and once you lose all of the borked Bosch electrical and heavy interior they aren't bad for weight or reliability.

Honestly, the 928 is the only Porsche I like. I get strange looks when I say that.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
12/16/15 1:38 p.m.

That tan 924 Stefan posted looks pretty straight.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
12/16/15 1:40 p.m.
92dxman wrote: That tan 924 Stefan posted looks pretty straight.

That color is called "Mexico Beige" I kid you not :)

pointofdeparture
12/16/15 1:43 p.m.

I would love to find something like a pale green early 924 and swap 944S running gear in from a wreck...

I've owned a handful of turbo cars over the years and I totally get the appeal, but I kinda want to build a strong-revving NA car this time around for some reason.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
12/16/15 1:48 p.m.

In reply to Robbie:

E21 for a much lower buy in than the 2002 and then stuff a m20 or m42 up front, upgraded brakes, cooling, suspension, & rolling stock. While a m10 car is entertaining, you WILL get lapped the entire day.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/16/15 1:52 p.m.

One of these days, 928s prices are going to explode and we're all going to be crying over when they were thick on the ground for $2000.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/16/15 1:54 p.m.
WOW Really Paul? wrote: In reply to Robbie: E21 for a much lower buy in than the 2002 and then stuff a m20 or m42 up front, upgraded brakes, cooling, suspension, & rolling stock. While a m10 car is entertaining, you WILL get lapped the entire day.

I think you will get lapped all day in anything slower than an E36 M3 or a 330i. PoD, you said you were a backmarker in your 330i, and that is what I consider a pretty fast car.

There is an emerging need for a vintage HPDE class.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
12/16/15 1:55 p.m.
pointofdeparture wrote: I would love to find something like a pale green early 924 and swap 944S running gear in from a wreck... I've owned a handful of turbo cars over the years and I totally get the appeal, but I kinda want to build a strong-revving NA car this time around for some reason.

A buddy of mine here is doing something like that. He's got a later 924S that he's swapping in a 944S drivetrain (much easier swap as it already runs the 944 drivetrain). It will be his street car.

He's also working an older 924 as a track car with the stock 2.0L in it (so far) and he's adding the Carrera GT bodywork to it so he can fit a bit more rubber under it for the track.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/16/15 1:57 p.m.
pointofdeparture wrote: proximity to all the cool events that we don't have here in the Midwest,

What cool events? I live here and there are some neat things, but There is way more racing in the midwest than out here. Guaranteed.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
12/16/15 2:00 p.m.
92dxman wrote: That tan 924 Stefan posted looks pretty straight.
That color is called "Mexico Beige" I kid you not :)

That color name isn't pc. You would have to change it to Mexican American or Latin American Beige.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
12/16/15 2:02 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote:
pointofdeparture wrote: proximity to all the cool events that we don't have here in the Midwest,
What cool events? I live here and there are some neat things, but There is way more racing in the midwest than out here. Guaranteed.

Um, there's a road race of some type nearly every weekend from March through October at PIR as well as Autocross events nearly the same amount. That's not counting the other venues like The Ridge, Oregon Race way Park, Pacific Raceways or Spokane Raceway. Plus there's drag racing nearly every night at Portland and Woodburn.

Now we don't get into Ice Racing, so we miss out on that, but if you check out the schedules for the various venues, you'll see there are a number of events to be had.

pointofdeparture
12/16/15 2:07 p.m.

Note that I didn't say racing! I'm talking primarily about vintage rallies. Out here there is nothing like the Snowball Rally, Motherlode 400, or Beehive Targa in existence. Heck, events aside, the gorgeous coastal highways are one of a kind. Nothing of the sort here. The budget required to do any serious W2W competition is way beyond me at this point in life. Also, while the Midwest in general may have a lot of racing, near my location here in Wisconsin there is not a whole lot going on outside of Road America & Blackhawk Farms.

Fueled by Caffeine
12/16/15 2:08 p.m.
Um, there's a road race of some type nearly every weekend from March through October at PIR as well as Autocross events nearly the same amount. That's not counting the other venues like The Ridge, Oregon Race way Park, Pacific Raceways or Spokane Raceway. Plus there's drag racing nearly every night at Portland and Woodburn. Now we don't get into Ice Racing, so we miss out on that, but if you check out the schedules for the various venues, you'll see there are a number of events to be had.

Portland is a different beast from Seattle, I guess. I just don't see it around here. Portland is pain to get to in the summer and the Autocross scene here is weak. Sure there is the ridge or Pacific Raceways, but getting there is super tough.

I'll still argue that there is more racing in the midwest, period. More racetracks, more pro events. More everything.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
12/16/15 2:17 p.m.
Um, there's a road race of some type nearly every weekend from March through October at PIR as well as Autocross events nearly the same amount. That's not counting the other venues like The Ridge, Oregon Race way Park, Pacific Raceways or Spokane Raceway. Plus there's drag racing nearly every night at Portland and Woodburn. Now we don't get into Ice Racing, so we miss out on that, but if you check out the schedules for the various venues, you'll see there are a number of events to be had.
Portland is a different beast from Seattle, I guess. I just don't see it around here. Portland is pain to get to in the summer and the Autocross scene here is weak. Sure there is the ridge or Pacific Raceways, but getting there is super tough. I'll still argue that there is more racing in the midwest, period. More racetracks, more pro events. More everything.

Yeah well, Seattle sucks for nearly anything automotive related, which is why I only visit the area occasionally. The exception being the excellent driving roads in the mountains and along the coastal areas.

The Portland Metro is much better situated for the type of events we're discussing and since I used to drive from Portland to Eugene to autocross, I'd say driving from Seattle to Portland for an event is perfectly reasonable for a dedicated racer.

I do miss the pro racing events. Going to PIR for CART/IMSA, etc was awesome when I was younger, but those days aren't likely to return :/

pointofdeparture
12/16/15 2:20 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: I'll still argue that there is more racing in the midwest, period. More racetracks, more pro events. More everything.

I'm not arguing that point, but I don't have the time or budget for W2W racing, and watching someone else drive a $1m race car around is only exciting to a point. I do have the budget for a cool old car that I can run an occasional HPDE with or a $500 weekend event like the Snowball Rally. For me, hauling out to Mid-Ohio for example is an entire day's worth of driving on flat, boring interstates, and then outside of the racetrack it's still Ohio. Not too exciting. I'd much rather be in Califonia, driving on twisty roads, enjoying the weather and the scenery if I'm making that kind of haul!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/16/15 2:20 p.m.
pointofdeparture wrote: In reply to alfadriver: Believe me, I would LOVE to pickup your GTV and go vintage racing, but at 26 I would basically be cashing out my entire investment portfolio to do so!

And you're young enough to recover from such an ill-advised choice. Looking forward to your "I bought Alfadriver's GTV" build thread.

Fueled by Caffeine
12/16/15 2:22 p.m.
pointofdeparture wrote:
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: I'll still argue that there is more racing in the midwest, period. More racetracks, more pro events. More everything.
I'm not arguing that point, but I don't have the time or budget for W2W racing. I do have the budget for a cool old car that I can run an occasional HPDE with or a $500 weekend event like the Snowball Rally. For me, hauling out to Mid-Ohio for example is an entire day's worth of driving on flat, boring interstates, and then outside of the racetrack it's still Ohio. Not too exciting. I'd much rather be in Califonia, driving on twisty roads, enjoying the weather and the scenery if I'm making that kind of haul!

Those rallys are far from me.. 8-12 depending on traffic and pass conditions.

pointofdeparture
12/16/15 2:26 p.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine:

That sucks, but that's how far it is for me to get to most of the great Midwest racing currently. If I end up in the Portland area, which is the current possibility, I'd be 6-8 away and I have friends in that area of Cali already. I can deal with that! And it's for an event I can participate in, instead of going to watch the Runoffs or whatever.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
12/16/15 2:37 p.m.

In reply to pointofdeparture:

There's also ChumpCar, LeMons, Rat Race, etc. teams in the area that you can pays your money to join up as a driver and get w2w experience for about $500/weekend.

1 2 3 4 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pxAWTfUqwPsrmz8kM2aHJLhVKSbTo4LfjX0RYzAif6WCMisrV6muY4xBCKuRs8v2