dherr (Forum Supporter)
dherr (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/2/20 3:43 p.m.

I have a T5 in the TR4A that is generally in good shape, little hard to get out of 5th gear (sticks) but shifts fine without any grinding or issues. I need to refresh it, so was going to order a rebuild kit. How hard is it to take a part and  rebuild? I am getting quotes of $800 labor and $400 in parts when I know I can get a kit with new syncros and bearings for $150 or so. Even if I have to replace a few parts, the gear sets are good and it does not leak, so should be a basic disassemble and reassemble properly project, right? What do I need to look out for and what special tools do I need?

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
10/2/20 3:47 p.m.

Given that I bought a perfectly good T-5 a couple years ago for $125, I can't see spending more than that.  You can try rebuilding yours but if fresh Ford unicorn juice doesn't bring it back, I'd just grab another.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/2/20 3:49 p.m.

You should totally rebuild it and document your efforts so I know what to do when I remember what parts of the Mustang and S-10 T5s I need to jam together to go in the Ranchero... cheeky

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/2/20 3:55 p.m.

My friend makes it look easy, maybe three hours start to finish. Having watched a few times, I would say that it is quite doable if you spend a bit of time on YouTube to memorize key points.  Knowing how to get stuff apart is key as there are a  few non-intuitive mechanical attachments in the shifter rail stuff.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
10/2/20 4:15 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Yeah, I need to find one of those friends. Guess I'll watch some more You-tube videos over the weekend. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
10/2/20 4:33 p.m.

In reply to dherr (Forum Supporter) :

He also does rear ends as if there were no science to them. Never seen one make a bad noise. Almost makes me thing that I could do them.

We have a local chap who does nothing but rebuild manual gearboxes out of his garage shop, he charges $800 all-in to rebuild your box.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/2/20 4:33 p.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) said:

Given that I bought a perfectly good T-5 a couple years ago for $125, I can't see spending more than that.  You can try rebuilding yours but if fresh Ford unicorn juice doesn't bring it back, I'd just grab another.

Wow!

Locally, any time a T5 would come up for sale, if it was a V8 box they'd be asking so close to what a NEW box was from Summit that it made no sense to buy used.

If it shifts fine and makes no ugly noises, I'd leave it alone, myself.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
10/2/20 5:36 p.m.

I did one years ago, I want happy with the end play in the end and wasn't the smoothest shifting box. It'll see use in challenge form unless I buy a sawsall and take the one in the jy here.

Its not difficult, really doesn't require and special tools besides snap ring pliers, and a breakdown of assembly.

$800 assembly time better include sending the gears out for a REM job....

The books are literally written on the T5.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/2/20 5:58 p.m.

I have a book on how to rebuild the t5.  I'll see if I can find a link.  

The guy that runs 5speeds.com is the guy that wrote it.  Paul something...

They are cake!

jimbbski
jimbbski SuperDork
10/2/20 6:47 p.m.

I've rebuilt 7-8 of these trans. Some were just were a pull apart and replace a few bearings, others were a near complete rebuild.

Their not hard to do but certain tools make it way easier. Like a press, bearing splitter, good snap ring pliers, and a few other tools.

YouTube does have some good "how to's" so do search there before you decide.

Complete rebuild kits using quality parts go for over $400.  I usually open up the trans and then decide what needs replacement and then buy what I need.

03Panther
03Panther Dork
10/2/20 6:50 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Wow!

Locally, any time a T5 would come up for sale, if it was a V8 box they'd be asking so close to what a NEW box was from Summit that it made no sense to buy used.

If it shifts fine and makes no ugly noises, I'd leave it alone, myself.

Yea, to find one at decent money, I had to buy a engine and trans out of a firebird, that someone had stripped out of a car headed to J. Y. He said the drove it on the trailer first, then pulled it out. We are kinda concerned that the trans to engine bolts are all loose, so I might be rebuilding it as well.

dherr (Forum Supporter)
10/2/20 9:23 p.m.

Okay you all talked me into it, I'll document the process for those of you interested in what is needed. 

dherr (Forum Supporter)
10/2/20 9:24 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) (Forum Supporter) :

I'll definitely pick up this bood, thanks for the reference!

Forge ahead, brave soldier. 

And take pictures.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
10/3/20 8:44 a.m.
Ranger50 said:

$800 assembly time better include sending the gears out for a REM job....

What's a REM job? 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
10/3/20 9:08 a.m.

REM is micropolishing.  Reduces friction and eliminates stress risers and burrs.

I rebuilt a Corvette T56 and I am a barely literate circus clown.  You can do it too!

Followed the one rule my daddy tought me - lay everything down as it comes out of the gearbox in order on fresh butcher paper or shop towels, write notes on the paper.  Make drawings if you have to.  

Error404
Error404 Reader
10/3/20 10:25 a.m.

I took apart the T5 in my Mustang, some pics over in that thread, to put 5th gear back together after I *ahem* got a little too enthusiastic with it on track. I only did 5th gear, the rest were fine, but it did not look too intimidating. Watch some videos, there are some good ones out there, and maybe be ready with some helicoils and extra bolts. There are some unique T5 bolts that are allegedly very difficult to source but most of the bolts are normal stuff and a couple came apart on me when I was torquing them down, with a torque wrench mind you.

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 HalfDork
10/5/20 9:15 a.m.

I took one apart, bought parts to rebuild it, and put it in a box.  That was 14 years ago.

Based on your experience I might have to dig it out of the shed and get to work.

iansane (Forum Supporter)
iansane (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/5/20 9:29 a.m.

I've heard that many times but when it came time to find one for my volvo build, I spent the better part of 2 months scrounging craigslist/offerup/facebook and the cheapest I found was 600. For a used trans. With unkown miles. Pfft. No.

Rebuild it yourself. Tons of videos and DIYs out there. Just take your time and be organized. I rebuilt my first t56 on the back of my dad's flatbed. While it worked, it was not organized and I cursed myself many times.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
a9bKTcbre1GTeRyKRxAxHMCnuyfIVUHLycO15ccCq9ynAlnbfnMPew91LGUD8a50