oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
9/12/17 7:02 p.m.

From morning to afternoon, my car developed a miss.  I did a little bit of diag - 1st checking which cyl wasn't firing (#1), and then swapping the wire ends on the coil, and now #4 doesn't fire.

These coils were marketed as being enhanced over regular GM twin tower coils.   These are no longer available from FJO, in fact FJO has been absorbed by Holley, and they don't offer these anymore, the closest thing offered by Holley is  an Accel Supercoil - which I don't know if it would even fit into the FJO coil base.....

What I want to know.... can these be rebuilt?  Or can they DIS coil be replaced?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
9/12/17 8:01 p.m.

"Marketed as being enhanced" means to me they likely don't work very well, or for very long.

Will the stock Delco coils fit?  They are perfectly adequate.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/12/17 8:49 p.m.

The "coil base" pictured is your ignition module.  Those 2 little screws hold the coils to it.  2 blade terminals and they ground through the screws iirc.  SWG is right the gm coils are very good, I might have some in the garage 

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
9/12/17 9:06 p.m.

Looks like stock GM 3.8 coils, I would put a set on and see what happens.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
9/12/17 9:49 p.m.

have a friend with similar coil pack.... so I have something plug and play I can use to test...

question...  what year/make/model are these coils from so if my friends unit works, I can just go and buy a coil....  

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
9/13/17 1:20 p.m.

Ok, swapped in my friends coils and she fires on all 4.

So... is there a difference between the $10 versions I find on Rockauto, and the $45 Delco units??

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
9/13/17 1:33 p.m.

Last time I put one one it was a white box special, 2004 Grand Prix I know uses a coil like that.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
9/13/17 1:46 p.m.

I'd buy Delco, because the failure rate of almost all aftermarket electronics are too high for me to trust.  They don't all fail, but enough do that I hate selling them. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/13/17 3:30 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Agreed, rather used gm than new aftermarket too.

they literally came on almost every fwd gm with mpfi or sfi from the 2.8 in 1987 and up to at least mid 2000's.  Junkyard sources would be cavaliers, lumina, gp, lesabre, regal, cutlass, celebrity, impala, aztek, rendezvous, montana etc...

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
9/13/17 4:18 p.m.

went with a pair of Standard brand coils (2 units - 4 posts total)  Oddly the GM units on Rockauto were all aluminum post, the Standard brand comes with brass, so I went with those

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Dork
9/14/17 6:28 a.m.

Jegs offers a GM DIS coil replacement like this 

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/40120/10002/-1

Higher voltage and brass terminals. We used them on my son's 2000 Impala 9C1 3800 V6

They also sell by the 2pack and 3packs

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XxaqvPzApA9D8STqipPN8P0CBRKqWI8fogeGXrZAgeReOU2qWMQRRM8v8jiwIWQY