Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/23/18 8:47 a.m.

So, mine has died.

Needs to be accurate, readilyavailable, and inexpensive. 

0-60 psi is all i need for ehat i do. But accurate over the range (0-15psi is common for me)

And go!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/23/18 8:48 a.m.

In for the same, lost my good one, has to go down to zero for offroad arena events.

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/23/18 8:54 a.m.

About $6.00.   Home Depot.  I keep one in each car, had them for a  few years.  I'm happy with them.

MINIzguy
MINIzguy HalfDork
10/23/18 9:27 a.m.

I had a Longacre liquid filled one. After 4 years, it was starting to be a little funky. Before it fully broke, I bought a Slime 20049 gauge and had an Accutire MS-4021B. When I compare all of them, they all read the same pressure (I'm around 26-36psi). So rather spend $26 on a replacement Longacre head, I'm just gonna but the cheaper stuff now.

Realistically, I don't need accurate, I need consistent. As long as the gauge reads the same PSI for all tires that are the same PSI, I'm good. I couldn't care if 26psi is 28psi, if it reads 26psi for everything that's 28psi.

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
10/23/18 9:32 a.m.

I have one of the basic $25 longacre gauges and it has been great.  You can spend more to get half-psi increments.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/23/18 10:22 a.m.

I've been using this for a couple of years. It was under $20 delivered from Jegs when I bought it from their ebay store.

Joes Racing Products tire gauge

It seems quite consistent, like you stated. Don't know about accuracy, I don't have any way to check that.

GameboyRMH
10/23/18 10:25 a.m.

Accuracy seems to be pretty good across the board even among the cheaper gauges. My "good one" that I lost was this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Victor-22-5-00881-8-Professional-Bleeder-Valve/dp/B000HAEPEA/

My complaints about it are susceptibility to dirt and build quality. This model would leak if the inside ever got a particle of brake dust in it, and I bought one that was leaking right out of the box.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
10/23/18 10:38 a.m.

The slime is actually the one that died. After about 8 years.

The low range on mine is primarily for the load bags on my truck (5psi minimum, and every extra psi reduces ride quality)

Guess ill be getting another slime!

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
10/23/18 10:57 a.m.
Floating Doc said:

I've been using this for a couple of years. It was under $20 delivered from Jegs when I bought it from their ebay store.

It seems quite consistent, like you stated. Don't know about accuracy, I don't have any way to check that.

+1  

I've been using the Joe's gauge since my old Blue Point died 5 or 6 years ago.  Bonus points for the glow-in-the-dark gauge face.

GameboyRMH
10/23/18 11:05 a.m.

^Does that Joe's unit actually go to 0? From the pic it looks like 5 is the lowest reading. I sometimes set tires to under 5psi.

MINIzguy
MINIzguy HalfDork
10/23/18 11:09 a.m.

I had a Victor gauge and it leaked out of the box too. I bought it and the Slime at the same time to see who would win, and kept the Slime unit.

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
10/23/18 11:10 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

For that I would use a drag slick gauge - 0-15psi.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
10/23/18 11:18 a.m.

A metal bodied Milton. I find them at rural king for sub $10.

Cooter
Cooter Dork
10/23/18 11:31 a.m.
Dirtydog said:

About $6.00.   Home Depot.  I keep one in each car, had them for a  few years.  I'm happy with them.

Will that read down to .5lb?  I had a $5 one that I bought on a whim 15 years ago that was similar, and I loved it until it finally died. 

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/23/18 11:37 a.m.

I have a QuickCar liquid filled gauge that I bought 20 years ago that's still working great.  Mine's 0-60 psi, but they sell them in different ranges.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TQ3JHS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

HFmaxi
HFmaxi Reader
10/23/18 11:41 a.m.
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/7/20 5:41 a.m.

I use a tusk motorcycle gauge. 1psi to 60psi. Accurate at low pressure. 

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
10/7/20 6:25 a.m.

BMW makes one sold thru their motorcycle dealers. I have several,of them and they work great and the battery lasts for years.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/7/20 7:56 a.m.

You have to get one of kind they use in F1.   They must go out to 3 decimal places.

1/4 psi off spec calls for a penalty. 

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
10/7/20 8:51 a.m.
Rodan said:
Floating Doc said:

+1  

I've been using the Joe's gauge since my old Blue Point died 5 or 6 years ago.  Bonus points for the glow-in-the-dark gauge face.

I've had two of them, they both started drifting fairly quickly. The first one was off 3psi by the time I noticed it after several years. The second one I've had for maybe two years and is already off by 1psi consistently. Sometime before next race season it's getting replaced with the longacre one red_stapler posted that's effectively the same price. FWIW I have a cheap 150psi gauge from harbor freight that seems to still be accurate but gets used much less frequently.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Reader
10/7/20 11:59 a.m.

I've been through a hundred cheap/crappy ones; for the amount that they get used, it's worth spending a little more money.  I use this Longacre 0-45psi gauge.  It has been dead reliable and is very easy to read down to fractions of a psi.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PM1WPH8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
10/7/20 12:05 p.m.
red_stapler said:

I have one of the basic $25 longacre gauges and it has been great.  You can spend more to get half-psi increments.

This one gets my vote. It was relatively cheap and has been dead nuts for my use.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
10/7/20 5:11 p.m.

I have this one.

Went analog instead of digital because it sits for long periods and I didnt want a battery in the mix.  It inflates and deflates fast and is accurate enough that if I set my tires to 35 PSI cold, I get 35 PSI on all my TPMS sensors.  Having mismatched TPMS sensors, even by 1 PSI, is a major peave of mine.  

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/8/20 9:36 a.m.

I have a Longacre 0-60 dial gauge much like red_stapler posted, but it has the trigger for filling.  It was given to me by a co-worker in about 1995 and it looked 50 years old then.  I keep it in the garage for general inflating duty.  It's frustrating for me, since I often have something like a motorcycle that needs 27 psi, and a 3/4 ton truck that needs 80.  I do have a dial gauge (devilbiss I think) that goes to 100 psi, but then reading lower psi is troublesome.  I might pick up a digital gauge for that reason.

The one reason I don't like digital gauges is that I'm a visual person.  When watching a dial gauge, you can see the trend.  Seeing a cold, digital number on a screen doesn't work with my brain quite as well.  They also (for me) seem to crap out the battery right when you need them most.  If I do get a digital gauge, I will make sure it has "normal" batteries, like AAA or 9v.

Last year I bought a digital thermometer... the kind you use to take your temperature under your tongue when you're sick.  Sure enough, last month I thought I had a fever, and the battery was dead.  Pulled it apart to find three CR2032 watch batteries.  $5 each to replace, and no one keeps them around the house.  Instead, I threw the thermometer in the trash, went to the garage and grabbed my laser thermometer.  9v battery was dead, but I have a pack of those around.  Bingo.  97.7 degrees.

Alton Brown would be proud.  No unitaskers in my house.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TrAHBDcE51MWVO4yb4xDHHXjiTjjlT1Gflsc1Z90xcO1zyIsfF2g5yhUhOAQ5Hrc